The new Tool thread that shouldn't be deleted

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Malik23 wrote:Aenima is more accessible than Lateralus. But then again, APC is more accessible than Tool. I don't think this means "more consistently good," I just think it means easier to get into. There are a *few* Tool songs that I skip. But mostly it's because they are emotionally draining and require quite a commitment to sit down and take that particular journey (i.e. not easily accessible). But this doesn't mean they are boring. Sometimes I just want a quick fix. :twisted:
I personally find APC more consistent. I know I'm in a minority though. :)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I admit to a soft spot for APC - particularly The Thirteenth Step. It is incredibly melodic, and powerful. The Noose is one of my favourites...

I don't think comparisons can effectively be made between Tool and APC (although I did enjoy reading your Megadeth v Metallica CovJr!) - they are very different. APC probably suffers somewhat by being compared to Tool. But I agree, Tool at their best are better than APC at their best.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

I rarely openly argue with my husband (Malik) in a public forum, but I can't let him get away with calling APC Tool-lite. :)

I think there is absolutely no comparison. The only thing they have in common is Maynard. Maynard himself calls APC his feminine side. I agree. I like APC, but APC is no Tool.

Agree with the others about recommending Aenima for starters.

I've heard that they are starting to write new music. I've not heard when the next album is on the way. They aren't really due for an album...it's a little too soon for them. lol
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Onos T'oolan wrote:Thank you. Thank you very much. It's great to be here. It's so very nice to be appre...

*looks around*

Oh. Sorry.

*tries not to disturb anyone while leaving*
:lol: Sorry Onos, I only just now got that! :oops: Bit slow today....
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I enjoy both APC and Tool, owning the full catalog for both and having seen both in concert. And while I wouldn't exactly call APC Tool-lite, I can get the comparison. For instance, compare an APC concert to a Tool concert. They both put on a cool show, and Maynard has similar flourishes in both, but the total impact of a Tool concert is much greater than APC. Sonically, APC is completely enjoyable and even fulfulling, and no one expects more than that (other than a few, erm, tools, as Alan pointed out). A Tool concert, on the other hand, is a full mind and body work out. That's not to say Tool is better hands down, though. They can each be better in different situations, moods, what have you. Sometimes you feel like a nut...

And if anyone's looking for a band to fill in the gap between APC and Tool, might I recommend a little Truckfighters. The base is more stoner rock than prog metal (more Black Sabbath than Pink Floyd, if you will), but their albums have evolved similarly to those of Tool. The new album, Mania has many Tool-like touches.

If that's not your thing, there's always Dredg, who are often compared favorably to Tool. However, each of their releases after their first have been too emo/girly for my tastes.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Syl wrote:And if anyone's looking for a band to fill in the gap between APC and Tool, might I recommend a little Truckfighters.
Hmm, they're interesting. Thanks for the link.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I rotated my cd's in the car today. Listened to Lateralus for the first time in a while.

Nice to hear The Grudge after a break!

And a lesson on the Fibonacci sequence by some dedicated fan to Lateralus. I didn't know any of that stuff. It's a great song!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The Grudge is one of my all-time favorite songs of any band. To me, more than any song, this IS Tool. 3:18 to about 4:12 is my favorite part. The end scream is also jaw dropping.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Guess who I'm seeing in Jan next year? ;)

Tool are headlining The Big Day Out festival, which I have managed to get a ticket for. They are also doing a side show on their own, but my leave pass doesn't cover this. However I'm looking forward to this immensely! Here's the lineup so far:

Tool
Rammstein
Iggy and the Stooges
MIA
John Butler Trio
Grinderman
Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77
Wolfmother
Lupe Fiasco
Deftones
The Black Keys
LCD Sound System
Angus and Julia Stone
Bliss n Esso
The Naked and Famous

etc etc etc - heaps of bands! Just need to plan the day to choose the ones I really want to see.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I got my ticket too!! :biggrin:

Very very excited, hoping it will top the 07 BDO. And how amazing is the rest of that lineup?

People ages ago were suggesting bands for a missing link between Tool and APC. I'm quite a fan of the band Karnivool, they seem on a similar path to Tool, they only have two albums, but they're moving from dark, fast and punchy to experimenting more. The lead singer sounds nothing like Maynard (who does?), but the guitar and rythm section often make me perk up my ears, particularly songs like "Set Fire to the Hive" and "New Day."
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Very much like Karnivool. Have both their albums and heartily agree with this recommendation!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'll definitely check out Karnivool!

This will be my first BDO, so really looking forward to it. The last time I saw Tool was particularly memorable, 2002 in April. I had arrived in Melbourne for the show, and my sister rang me that morning with the news that my father had died while on a business trip in New Zealand. I still watched the show, and remember it intimately.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Wow Stevie- my condolences. That must have made it quite an experience.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The Deftones kick ass! Enjoy the BDO!
fall far and well Pilots!
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Deftones and Tool at the same festival...guest appearance by Maynard perhaps? We can hope!

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Zarathustra wrote:The Grudge is one of my all-time favorite songs of any band. To me, more than any song, this IS Tool. 3:18 to about 4:12 is my favorite part. The end scream is also jaw dropping.
I've just recently listened to The Grudge again, and I must say I agree that it is the essence of Tool. Really, it's a masterpiece.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

The whole Lateralus album is a masterpice, IMO. It's like a metal Dark Side of the Moon- not a single note or beat out of place, every listen I hear something new that only makes it more of a whole.

On a trivial note, I only just recently (after what, almost six years?) got that the title of "The Pot" is a pun. I was neatly diverted by the marijuana references and the "you must have been high" line, and completely missed the reference to "pot calling the kettle black." Now I feel like an idiot, with all the talk of hypocrites, crocodile tears and "black kettles" :oops: Feel like I've been missing out on half the meaning of a great song.

Also, insert obligatory whining about how long the next album is taking. Latest word I heard was that the band are working on the music as we speak, but Maynard has yet to get involved, so we're a way off yet.

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I must admit I hadn't made the Pot connection! There's a whole lot of connections I haven't made with regard to Tool I'm afraid.

Yeah, I reckon the next album could be a while off, but it will happen!

I agree with you Cambo, that Lateralus was a masterpiece. There are still some songs that I don't get in to, but the whole concept of the album is immense.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Yeah, the kettle/pot reference was something I liked right away. What I didn't like was that on the last tour they didn't play this song--one of the best songs on their latest album?!? WTF? The entire show was only about 10 songs, and the best part of Lateralus was interrupted to let some amateur drummer play with Carey (he won a contest). And Maynard could barely sing. Way low in the mix.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

They played The Pot when I saw them in 07, so I wasn't too upset not to see it this year. The inclusion of The Patient and Third Eye more than made up for it. :D

Stevie, what songs are you not big on from Lateralus? When I first heard the album I used to not like Reflection and Triad as much as the rest, but now I love them as much as any of it. 8)

Return to “Vespers”