Counterfactuals.

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Completely off topic, I had one of those "Uereka! - but 24 hours too late" [also known as a "Why didn't I think of that at the time" moment] at work today when I realised that my last post (a clear front runner for 'post of the year' had it actually happened) should have read "Also sprach Zarathustra" [ from the tone poem by Richard Strauss which translates {beautifully in context} as Thus Spake Zarathustra or as I think Z. would prefer from the philosophical novel by Friedrich Nietzsche]. Damn, I say Damn! How did I miss that! :lol:
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's obviously silly to look for a cannon answer, or an authoritative answer, to "what if " questions about a story or characters...

But if thinking about a what-if helps you understand the story, then that's all to the good. I am sure even the author has to think about such questions, if they are trying to create something with realism. First, because it's rather a glaring logical failure if there's no apparent reason for something happening in the way it does. And second, because exploring alternatives from a character's point of view helps to build authenticity in your story. As a reader, sometimes it's useful to explore those same choices and see what the author might have seen.

And certainly doing so for fun can't be illegal. It may not be fun for some of us, but it might be for others of us. Let your freak flag fly!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

{Methinks some would say that Peter has flown his 'freak flag' long enough and hard enough for any single lifetime - and they may well be right! ;)}

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

nice guy peter wrote:Completely off topic, I had one of those "Uereka! - but 24 hours too late" [also known as a "Why didn't I think of that at the time" moment] at work today when I realised that my last post (a clear front runner for 'post of the year' had it actually happened) should have read "Also sprach Zarathustra" [ from the tone poem by Richard Strauss which translates {beautifully in context} as Thus Spake Zarathustra or as I think Z. would prefer from the philosophical novel by Friedrich Nietzsche]. Damn, I say Damn! How did I miss that! :lol:
To go both off-topic [specifically] but stay on-topic [heh..."tonally"]...
I have often wondered what Nietzsche would have thought of the Strauss piece? [[I have to listen to that Strauss, thanks for reminder peter...haven't for a long time.]]
I mean, the Nietzsche/Wagner/Strauss triad [and it can easily be expanded to a tetrad with Schopenhauer] is rich in drama and evolution, personal, philosophical, accidental and intentional. I've often considered writing a tale based on it [metaphoricall/thematic, not literal/historical...though even a the latter might have some interest with liberties taken].
IF Nietzsche never went nuts [likely NOT due to syphilis, according to recent info, but a brain tumor/cancer or somesuch] and died too young---
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vraith wrote:IF Nietzsche never went nuts ---
Now there's a counterfactual!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vraith wrote:IF Nietzsche never went nuts [likely NOT due to syphilis, according to recent info, but a brain tumor/cancer or somesuch] and died too young---[/color]
Think I'd have preferred the syphilis version.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”