How are cornflakes made?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Is the making of cornflakes possible in the domestic kithen

Not unless your surname is 'Kellogs'
17%
Strap on your apron Mother - we goin' for a ride!
83%

Total votes: 6

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:In the interests of entertaining the Watch, even if you can get it at the supermarket, I think you should go to the millers yard with your cup... and a camera.
I'm not sure I'm prepared to go quite that far in the interests of entertaining the Watch. Being battered to a pulp with wooden barrel staves by an irate mob of cornish rednecks - entertaining though it might be - is definitely going beyond the call of duty, even for a bowl of cornflakes. However, I am nothing if not rescourceful and am determined that unlikely though the final outcome is to be sucessful - the attempt shall be made. (Have I not a perfectly good pestle and mortar - or would that be mortar and pestel - on the shelf in my kitchen and do not pigeons eat maize as a regular part of thier diet. It seems to me all that is needed is my local branch of 'PetSmart' and some good old fashioned elbow grease!)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Firstly, pussy.

Secondly, why don't you dress up like your avatar and *then* go to the miller's yard? Just a hunch, but I think the Cornish rednecks will stay away from you. And those that do approach will only do so to say, "Would you like some help with your millet Sir? No no, let me carry it to your car. Millet's heavy, especially in the quantity you're buying Sir."
peter wrote:However, I am nothing if not rescourceful and am determined that unlikely though the final outcome is to be sucessful - the attempt shall be made. (Have I not a perfectly good pestle and mortar - or would that be mortar and pestel - on the shelf in my kitchen and do not pigeons eat maize as a regular part of thier diet. It seems to me all that is needed is my local branch of 'PetSmart' and some good old fashioned elbow grease!)
I think I may have misread your meaning in the above because I'm picturing you crushing pigeons to a pulp with your pestle and then baking the pieces. Which doesn't sound like it would make a great cornflake. I don't speak from experience of course. My pigeon-pulping licence lapsed years ago.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

My 'Avatar' Sir, is a detail from Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer artwork. I assure you that even in the said costume I would not cut the 200lb slab of beefcake figure represented by 'Gath of Baal' in the depiction. Such a course could only result in a 'Deliverence' style scenario involving my being told to "Squeal like a pig!".

re the maceration of pigeons into cornflakes, again you mistake me. Picture me more if you will, puce in the face trying to macerate each bullet hard maize 'ear' (can't be the right word) to the required cornflake making consistency - a process that should yeild (what was it) half a cup full in about a week (if I work through the nights as well).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I once saw a science demonstration in an elementary school that involved Corn Flakes. They guy explained how they are made. Basically, they soak and cook the crap out of the corn kernels in order to extract the starch. The husks are kind of a leftover. They are then sprayed with liquifed multivitamin/mineral/sugar/salt mixture because there ain't a whole lot of nourishment left, nor flavor. Then they are baked dry.

As part of the demonstration, he extracted the iron using a magnet. It basically looked like iron filings. After that, I wasn't all that interested in Corn Flakes anymore. Anyway, they get soggy too fast. Wheaties are better and have actual wheat in them, not a by-product.

Wheaties, btw, were accidentally invented by an athlete who dripped hot wheat cereal on his stove top. (Just a gratuitous piece of useless trivia to clog your brain.) :)

I usually make my own cereal, mostly from oatmeal. Mmmm...
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

peter wrote:My 'Avatar' Sir, is a detail from Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer artwork. I assure you that even in the said costume I would not cut the 200lb slab of beefcake figure represented by 'Gath of Baal' in the depiction. Such a course could only result in a 'Deliverence' style scenario involving my being told to "Squeal like a pig!".

re the maceration of pigeons into cornflakes, again you mistake me. Picture me more if you will, puce in the face trying to macerate each bullet hard maize 'ear' (can't be the right word) to the required cornflake making consistency - a process that should yeild (what was it) half a cup full in about a week (if I work through the nights as well).
ROFL but I'm a Madam not a Sir. It should say 'female' right there under my male name. Unless changing the board style from 'subsilver' to 'blueagain' dysfunctionalises (shut up, it's a word) the gender ID tag?

Anyway I digress. You need to call me Miss. Or Sheila. Or Bitchface if you need to let off steam after a week of unproductive maize macerating.

Hi Deer, I make my own breakfast too.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

not on my diet - but fruity pebbles are like crack for kids. mmmmmmmmmm....... tri color nirvana...

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Colorful while not suggesting something remotely edible. ;) :lol:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Sorry about that Shaun - why do I always make that mistake. It's a mental attachment thing. I attach images to peoples 'names' and Shaun des schaf conjures up images of sheep shearing which in the UK is a pretty male dominated area. Shadowbinding Shoe was I thought female because his avatar conjured up an image of the Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe.

Just to veer of at a tangent and because I don't know who else to tell, I think I invented a new word last night, 'Bollotics'. It's a combination of bollocks and polotics (I meant to say a particular UK polotician was talking bollocks but it came out wrong) and means that shit that poloticians talk when they're talking crap, they know they're talking crap, and everybody else knows they're talking crap. An example could be:-

David Cameron "The Govornment intends to use every means at it's disposal to limit the exesive bonus and payment for failure culture that has grown up in the financial sector in recent years".

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Bollotics -- I like this word. Ironic, though, since politicians as a rule have big-bollocky talk -- and are often total nutters -- but generally run for cover should an actual fracas ensue, which bespeaks a lack of bollocks.

On the corn flake front -- I normally would gung-ho approve of use of mortar and pestle; but that sounds like a miserable amount of work. Pre-ground corn meal is your friend. Pigeon food from the pet store? Seriously? :lol:
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

sgt.null wrote:not on my diet - but fruity pebbles are like crack for kids. mmmmmmmmmm....... tri color nirvana...

Cornflakes if Disney invented them

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

[forefingers the nerd glasses higher on nose] "Excuse me, but the pebbles family of breakfast cereals is clearly based on rice, and not corn."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:[forefingers the nerd glasses higher on nose] "Excuse me, but the pebbles family of breakfast cereals is clearly based on rice, and not corn."
Rice Crispies cross-bred with Skittles, actually.

My favorite cereal is Cheerios. Like hotdogs, I don't want to know how they're made.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

You and my daughter. Cheerios is her main breakfast food, as far as I can tell.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes but Cherio's is one of those breakfast cereals that is clearly produced by converting something into powder - and then pressing it back into a ring (or lump or ball or star or whatever) again. Your cornflake on the other hand, adulterated as it is, at least gives the impression of at one time having been a 'thing in itself' (though Sarge's homemade cornflake recpie might belie this), and on this basis, has to be considered as being closer to 'real food' than the Cherio.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I wouldn't give either Cheerios or cornflakes credit for it being apparent what the grain source is. :P
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

But they are all made from whole grain ;)

Just like Splenda is made from real sugar -- think of it as sugar plus a little 50+-step chemical reaction/conversion process...but it really does start with cane sugar. ;)

Gotta love marketing.

dw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Fruity Pebbles aren't made in a lab by mad scientists?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Fruity pebbles are made in a lab by Teletubbies.

And corn syrup is a grain.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Lol! Corn syrup is a grain, just like human plasma is a mammal...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Today (might) be the day Guts! (typo error there that was positively Freudian in it's occurence so it had to be left in!) I'm of on a hunt for corn meal - fine ground or otherwise - and I won't take no for an answer!

DukhaWaynhim, wtf is human plasma - it sounds err... revolting! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Galley”