The passage that sticks...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Also in TWL when Covenant run uber fast over the plains.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

I have one! Finally......LOL
"He is the NaMhoram! He does not come at the whims of others"
"Next time I have a whim, I'll keep that in mind"
LOL.......he is so sarcastic :)
¥ NightBlaze ¥
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

The one that always gets me is from TWL, where Covenant explains about Foamfollower as The Pure One to the Giants of the Search, and at the end of it:
"He was the Pure One. The one who freed the jheherrin. Freed the Land. By laughing. A Giant."

He glared at the company. In the isolation of what he remembered, he was prepared to fight them all for the respect Foamfollower deserved. But his unquenched passion had nowhere to go. Tears reflected orange and green from Honniscrave's cheeks. Pitchwife's mien was a clench of sorrow. The First swallowed thickly, fighting for sternness. When she spoke, her words were stiff with the strain of self-mastery.

"I must hear more of the Giants you have known. Thomas Covenant, we will accompany you from this place."
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

I really like Covenants morose comments, like the one I posted before, but one serious statement I remember well is in WGW. Lord Fouls statement to TC after being surrounded by a wall of wild magic.
More memorable was TCs response to those words.
¥ NightBlaze ¥
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Her spirit became the medicament that cured. She was the Sun-Sage, the Healer, Linden Avery the Chosen, altering the Sunbane with her own life.
It fired green at her like the sickness of emeralds. But she understood intimately the natural growth and decay of plants. They found their Law in her, their lush or hardy order, their native abundance or rarity; and then the green was gone.

Blue volleyed thunderously at her head and then lost the Land as she accepted every drop of water and flash of violence.

The brown of deserts came blistering around her, scorched her skin. But she knew the necessity of heat – and the restriction of climate. She felt in her bones the rhythm of rise and fall, the strict and vital alteration of seasons, summer and winter. The desert fire was cooled to a caress by the Staff and emitted gently outward again.

And last, the red of pestilence, as scarlet as disease, as stark as adders: it swarmed against her like a world full of bees, shot streaks of blood across her vision. In spite of herself, she was fading, could not keep from being hurt. But even pestilence was only a distortion of the truth. It had its clear place and purpose. When it was reduced, it fit within the new Law she set forth.

Sun-Sage and ring-wielder, she restored the Earthpower and released it over the wracked body of the Land.
Pitchwife laughed and cried and kissed her. Then he bent, lifted Covenant into his arms. His back was strong and straight. Together, he and the First left Kiril Threndor. She strode like a Swordmain, ready for the world. But he moved at her side with a gay hop and caper, as if he were dancing.
Hell, most of Sun-Sage really. :oops:
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
NOMinal
Servant of the Land

Post by NOMinal »

After about 15 yrs. or so these stick with me:

Pietten licking blood from his fingers and smiling.

The naMhoram's Grim with T.C. and co. being tossed around by the haruchai. Coursers going crazy.

The sun of fertility.

And Saltheart as the Pure One.
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

Quickly without much thinking:

LFB: - The Rape.

TIW: - Despaired Hile Troy trying jumping off Kevin's Watch after seeing the enemy's army.
- Elena going on to battle Dead Kevin.

TPTP: - "You don't even exist."
- Mhoram pulling Krill out of table in melting Close.

Then:

TWL: - TC being narrated what happened after his departure, as he bleeds in the old Close.
TOT: [blank for now]
WGW: - Caer Caveral's Sacrifice.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Revenant wrote: TOT: [blank for now]
8O Nothing from TOT stands out to you? Even just off the top of your head? Was the book that boring?

Sorry, I'm biased. Every page of TOT is like a highlight to me. It and TIW are the two greatest Covenant novels, imo.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Matrixman wrote:
Revenant wrote: TOT: [blank for now]
8O Nothing from TOT stands out to you? Even just off the top of your head? Was the book that boring?

Sorry, I'm biased. Every page of TOT is like a highlight to me. It and TIW are the two greatest Covenant novels, imo.
One word : Nom. 8)
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

if i had a top 10 then i think nearly all would be from TIW or TOT.
'Stone and sea Honinscrave bravely done'
The Haruchai fighting Nom
Coerci
When TC, Linden and The Haruchai meet Giants

Not 10 I know but I've got work to do.
There is also Love in the World.
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

One word : Nom.
I only appreciate this bit when it comes to and through WGW.
Every page of TOT is like a highlight to me. It and TIW are the two greatest Covenant novels, imo.
I absolutely agree about TIW.
Was the book [TOT] that boring?
I've read it only two times I think, in the late 80's and mid-90's.
Although it contains important events and characters, yes, at the time I found it boring; that's how I felt, however I would have like to love and appreciate it. For me, personnally (not an absolute judgement) it's the weakest of the 6 (haven't read or listened to Runes yet 8O ).
Maybe if I read it again nowadays with new eyes my opinion/feelings would change.
Or/and maybe if I gathered some courage and browsed through you guys' dissection of TOT chapters that would help me appreciate it more.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

"Hate" is a big one from the first chronicles. I could almost feel the misery and pain Covenant was feeling, and his acid determination to carry on.

In the second chronicles, I will never forget the moment Covenant first meets the Search. I had such transporting joy at seeing Giants again after all of the horrific changes in the land - it gave me the hope I needed to keep reading!
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Revenant wrote:- Mhoram pulling Krill out of table in melting Close.
:o I forgot all about that! Though for me it was the sequence of on-off-on krills. Foamfollower and Triock summon TC and the krill lights up; TC loses the ring and the krill dies; he gets it back and the krill lights up. That hope-despair-hope sequence is incredible.
Matrixman wrote:Every page of TOT is like a highlight to me. It and TIW are the two greatest Covenant novels, imo.
For me, it's TIW and TPTP. TOT can't even compete.
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

CovenantJr wrote:(...) TC loses the ring and the krill dies; he gets it back and the krill lights up. That hope-despair-hope sequence is incredible.
And when it turns green! (ring in Elena's grasp) Ah! the despair!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

And made all the more potent by the fact that no-one knows what's going on. All they have to guide their guesses is the light of the krill. In fact, I've always found it powerful that Mhoram doesn't even set eyes on TC in TPTP, other than his abortive summoning at the beginning.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

CovenantJr wrote:
Matrixman wrote:Every page of TOT is like a highlight to me. It and TIW are the two greatest Covenant novels, imo.
For me, it's TIW and TPTP. TOT can't even compete.
You mean you really really don't love :grinlove: Linden :grinlove: ?

:mrgreen:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cheeky bugger! You know nothing would please me more than for Linden to be be-Nommed.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

:LOLS:
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

Been rereading The One Tree here. Right now, all I can think is....
NOM.
¥ NightBlaze ¥
mystmaiden
Servant of the Land

scenes that stick

Post by mystmaiden »

so, so many. Right now, I've started at the beginning and re-reading so..at this moment.

The laughter of Saltheart Foamfollower and his friendship to Covenant

Lord Mhoram's eyes.

but mostly:

the achingly necessary emptiness of a leper's heart.

Oh ..the vile sting Covenant feels through his boots when Drool is tracking them through Andelain and what Covenant must sacrifice to stop it.

This is a compeling topic..I could go on..for a very long time.

myst

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”