Serenity

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

birdandbear wrote:Don't worry taraswizard, people seem to have taken my burbling fangirly blather about seeing the first screening with good enough graces....;)

And speaking of fangirl (/boy ;)) blather - Nathan Fillion is such a cool guy! :D (Which is good to know, since the first time I ever saw him was as Caleb in Bs7. 8O ) He and Joss both post occasionally on the Serenity movie forum, and Nathan posted this long rant a few days ago, in which he just went off on this guy who worked at a comic book shop. Here's what he had to say in a thread titled "Captain Outraged! Edmonton fall in!"

Nathan Fillion Wrote:
It is times like these that I feel like Malcolm Reynolds. This is something that would surely get you kicked into an engine. I just went to a comic store to purchase the Serenity comic for my mom. The sweetheart that she is, gave her issues (with her favorite character on the front) to relatives who were having trouble tracking one down. Please bear in mind that Canada is a wondrous place where the service industry is polite and helpful, and that this experience is not the norm. The store I chose, which shall remain nameless (Warp 1 Comics), at an undisclosed location (just off Whyte Ave), has the singlemost sanctimonious, condescending, dishonest a$$hole I've had the misfortune of meeting. My brother and I called ahead to find out they had one issue left, but upon arriving, found out they are gouging people $20 bucks for the damned thing! "That's what they're worth." he sneered at me. I asked him to show me a listing of some sort to back it up. "Well, I just know what I paid Dark Horse for it." He wouldn't show me that, either. I am aware that Dark Horse wasn't expecting these books to sell as well as they are, and that they are going into a second printing, but I just picked up three of them two days ago at cover price at another store. My brother piped up with a, "What an interesting attitude you have." Let me tell you folks, this fella had an attitude, and a smirk that you wanted to knock off his face with a baseball bat dipped in dog poop. Of course, my brother couldn't help letting this guy know who he was trying to hose by holding the issue next to my face. "This guy look familliar? This isn't some JoJo off the street! He knows what he's talking about!" Check this out- the reply of this crap-catcher, who shall remain nameless (Darryl) was, (and imagine a dullards voice- how we make people we don't like sound in a story) "Well, then you can call Joss Whedon and ask him." I had to tell this purplebelly that I was being sarcastic when I thanked him for his excellent service, and I don't think he knew what sanctimonious meant!
Wouldn't a smart business man ask me to sign an issue and sell me one at a fair price? Wouldn't that fetch a prettier penny than ripping me off for one issue? Congratulations, dude! You are now on the Browncoat $hitlist.
Never have I tried to wield power in this way, but if being Malcolm Reynolds has taught me anything, it's to follow my over-developed sense of vengeance. BOYCOTT WARP ONE COMICS! If you are in the neighborhood, drop by to tell "the Buttress" that Browncoats don't take $hit from anyone. Tell your friends not to shop there, and lock 'em in the airlock if they do. Copy this post and e-mail it to fellow Edmontonians. Bump it to keep it alive.
Thank you. Thank you for letting me rant. If you feel I'm overboard, please feel free to, as Joss would say, contemplate silently.

The Captain

Edited to be less cruel, and to mention how wonderfully my dear mom was treated at HAPPY HARBOR. Thank you, staff and owners at Happy Harbor. You made my mom's day. Turns out, Warp One tried to hose her, too, by telling her that the Jayne covered issue was a rarity. Love you, Adam B. You ARE a rarity. Nothin' agin you. But will these butt-tards stoop so low as to steal from a woman? For shame, Warp One, for shame.

You can order the Serenity mini-series comics at darkhorse.com for $2.99 apiece. :roll:

btw: Darth, are you enjoying your birthday present? ;)
Yes! Thanks very much birdy! :D

Birdy, the sweetheart she is, sent me the Firefly series as a birthday present. :)

I didn't actually get round to watching it for quite a few months, to be honest. I never really heard of the series, and I'm often busy. But then I thought, what the hell, I'll get it a go.

I instantly loved it.

I texted annie right after watch the first episode, beaming my thanks and how good this show was. She was thrilled at my instant warming to the show. Yes, she does have a great urge to get as many people to watch this show... I have seen it. :P

I'll tell you, this programme has more character development and depth than Star Wars ever had. Throughly worth watching.

Sadly, I cannot yet watch the film yet. America has it's films before us... and yet they have our films at the same time as us... "does that seem fair to you"? :D

So it still hasn't come out yet, but when It does, I'll be there, and try to persuade others to be there also.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Serenity

Post by taraswizard »

I'm going to see the BDM tonite with two local Buffy fans. I'm pretty excited about going. We're going to a later showing. It's good. During the time I recently spent in California, I collected clippings, reviews and newspaper ads from the local papers.

Revan, not sure how this fits into UK distribution, BUT Serenity had its world premier in Glasgow during a Glasgow film festival that was concurrent to WorldCon weekend.

Revan, convert the hoi polloi everyone needs to see this film.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Saw it twice. Great flick with excellent dialogue!
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I absolutely adore Firefly! I discovered it when it came on on SciFi. MOst of the shows right before Stargate on Fridays I hate... like Andromeda. Just hate it. SO I assumed I would not like it either, but fnally one day I sat down and watched it. I absolutly loved it! I have seen the movie twice now and am recording all the episodes. I thought there were only 11 episodes?
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

11 episodes, 13 episodes

Post by taraswizard »

Firefly series. eleven episodes vs. thirteen episodes. Well, when the series premiered in September 2002, Fox Networks initial order was for 11 episodes, then in late October it was announced Fox had given the OK for two more, and then in mid-November the announcement came that there would be no more. Regardless, of Fox assuarances to air all the episodes made, that was never done. FWIW, the reairing on US's SciFi cable is the first time fans in the States have ever seen all the episodes broadcast, ever. The message and Heart of gold (edited to add episode Trash) were never shown by Fox Network.
Last edited by taraswizard on Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Interestingly, the DVD has 14 episodes, including 3 that never aired.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ ... 3?v=glance
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

dANdeLION wrote:Interestingly, the DVD has 14 episodes, including 3 that never aired.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/ ... 3?v=glance
Wow... I am going to have to order that. I wonder if I can buy it from Suncoast. I have reward points for them.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Well, that was one sweet movie. I'll have to see it again to make sure, but my first impression is Serenity ranks right up there with Empire Strikes Back & Wrath Of Kahn. If you're on the fence about seeing this flick, quit your wimpy indecisiveness and get there before it's gone!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I finally got round to seeing this at the weekend. I'd never seen an episode of Firefly, but good sci fi films are few and far between these days and Jonathan Ross liked it which is always a good sign.

I thought it started quite well, with some typical Joss Whedon snappy dialogue and a nice bit of action. There were a few occasions in the first half where I thought they tried too hard to be cool or funny and didn't quite pull it off, but these are really the only faults I could find. From the moment Mal meets up with the Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor on top form) Serenity just doesn't look back. It all got a bit Blake's 7 near the end too and I genuinely thought Whedon might kill them all off ("but they can't die, you've been funded for a trilogy!" I kept telling myself).

On the whole I thought it was great. I think it would have been an advantage to have seen the series beforehand, as there were a number of issues I wasn't clear on (the details of Serenity Valley, how Mal came into possession of the ship, that sort of thing) but they never came close to spoiling my enjoyment of the film. I'm now going to buy the DVDs, watch them and then see Serenity again.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Re: Serenity

Post by Fist and Faith »

birdandbear wrote:But there's also this - I know you guys - and it would be a terrible shame for you (Fist ;)) to remain unaware of this movie.
*sits up quickly* Eh? What's this?

:lol:

I haven't seen the movie, and I didn't want to read this thread for fear of spoilers. Until I read your post, I didn't know it was related to Firefly. Looks like I'll have to check out the dvd's! Thanks for the info. And the enthusiasm! :D You da bomb, sweetheart!! :D :D :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Got the Firefly DVDs the other day (awful cover art, if I may say so) and have watched the first few eps. I hadn't realised that Simon and Summer were in the series too, I thought they had only just picked them up in Serenity. One thing I did notice was that most of the Western elements of the series were taken out of the movie. Not sure how I feel about that, as the cowboy stuff is a little weird but I do like it, even if I don't know quite why.

Jaynestown is the next episode, which is one I've been looking forward to as I think Jayne is my favourite character. He gets all the best lines! Plus he did the Blake's 7 tribute in The Train Job and I'm always happy to see B7 homage.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay. Though I watched one episode of Firefly "Jaynestown" I didn't consider myself familiar with the series, the storyline or the characters. Now that I've watched Serenity I think I'm a fan. Serentiy the film was very good. I think people like me are to blame for the low turn out at the box office. I just didnt get it from watching one episode. Now I'm on board and I hope Joss gets Firefly picked up on SCI FI Channel or somewhere. I'm sorry I missed Serenity at the theater. :-(
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It's a tragedy that Firefly finished after one series. I can only hope the DVD sales of Serenity are sufficient to either get more films made or reinstate the series.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I finally got around to watching both Serenity and Firefly, and while I agree that they're quite good, I don't think they compare favorably to Babylon 5, which is still the best sci-fi extant.

That being said, both the film and the 14 episodes were quite good, substantially better than I would have guessed after enduring Buffy and Angel.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Finally got to watch this. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. As good as the best parts of the series (I like the series and all, but I'm not a fan of filler - prefer a continuous storyline).
Though I'm not sure if I like what happened to a couple of characters...
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Cail wrote:.. I don't think they compare favorably to Babylon 5, which is still the best sci-fi extant...
I just watched Serenity and I liked it also! Outstanding considering the relatively low budget they had to work with.

I also like Babylon 5. But "best sci-fi", hmmmm ... don't know if I can go that far! I liked the shadow / Vorlon ARC; but the last season and "earth plague" left me a little cold.
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Well, given what happened with the 5th season (show was cancelled in the 4th, then un-cancelled when it moved to TNT), I'll cut it some slack. Even with the 5th season's issues, I still think there's some fantastic stuff there, especially, The Long Night of Londo Molari.

"Firefly" could have come close had it not been cancelled.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I watched very little of Babylon 5 and Firefly when they aired, but I can say for certain that the characters on Firefly immediately grabbed me, while the ones on Babylon 5 didn't (though I did like the spaceships).
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I will grant you that the first 13 episodes of "Firefly" are superior in quality (writing, direction, acting) than the first 13 episodes of "Babylon 5".

It really is a shame "Firefly" was cut short.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

It is an amazing series. I can't wait to see if a second and third film comes out; which might not happen because it wasn't as big as a hit as it should have been, as it deserved to be; if more people would have watched it, they would have loved it; it's their loss.

Still, let's hope :cross:

Return to “Flicks”