Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Hail LaurieAnn, Be welcome among us. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
LaurieAnn
Stonedownor

Post by LaurieAnn »

Thank-you, Variol Son, I'm glad to be here ! :)
Laurie

Do you really want me to answer that?
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

a short version of who I am

Post by Khat »

My name is Kathleen and I share my birth year -- the Chinese Year of the Boar with SRD -
People born in the Year of the Boar are honest and tolerant and make good friends, but tend to expect the same from everyone else, and more often than not they end up disappointed. They thrive in the arts as entertainers.
I feel I am honest, tolerant, and patient and not as easily disappointed as described above. I like to be entertained but never see my self as the entertainer.
Although I am 1 "boar" younger than our favorite author, I graduated in 1977 when the Chronicles first came to be.
Spoiler
If you hate math it means I was born in 1959. I am now 45.
I also share SRD's birth location and still live in beautiful Ohio today.
I am a mom of two boys and a girl and met my husband originally in kindergarten!
I have worked in the environmental fields for over 15 years, but my current occupation is close to my heart...
I have fallen in love with the constant challenge and newness of the Internet. I am fortunate to be the creative side of a web hosting and design company [see my profile for the link].
Having a dedicated server at my fingertips is like being an artist owning an art supply store.
I found this site after reading Runes and wanted to find out when Fatal Revenant can be expected. I am now rereading the 1st & 2nd Chronicles to pass the time. I like to read right before I go to bed ---
Otherwise I dream in HTML!
I also work as our local newspaper's photographer - when I go about town people usually comment to me when I am without my camera around my neck.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Hail khatalenabwraith! Be welcome here at Kevins Watch fair rocksister. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

:oops: Fair Rocksister? I like that hail ...
how kind you are Variol Son
and thanks for the welcome.
This is a wonderful Forum.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I'm just a charmer. ;)

Sum sui generis
Vs

Cable Seadreamer
Servant of the Land

Post by Cable Seadreamer »

Greetings and salutations.

My name is Jeremiah, and I first started reading Thomas Covenant about 22 years ago. Since then I have yet to find a better fantasy series despite a voracious appetite for reading. (I grew up w/o a television)

I am now 30 years old and teach medical students how to give physical exams, interview and diagnose patients. I've been happily married for 10 years and act in my local community theatre. My most recent role was Ichabod Crane in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and am currently cast as Don John in Shakespeare's "Much Ado about Nothing."

I also dabble in paranormal investigation, as I died at the age of 9 by drowning and was resuscitated after body separation. Life after death definitely exists.

I like the site and look forward to the movie.
"Farewell, beloved."
His response came softly, receding along the wind. "There's no need for that. I'm part of you now. You'll always remember."
"I'll be with you as long as you live."
Kerb
Giantfriend

Post by Kerb »

Hail and well met, all at Kevins Watch!

My name is Kreb Dragonrider.

Sex: Male

Occupation: part time cleaner, part time carer, would-be novelist

Interests: Peace, ecology, druidry, internet.

I have read the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ages ago, as far back as 1983.

I am currently reading The Runes of the Earth. Great read, very tense!

My inner world, or land, is crystalline, and sparkles with energy, inhabited by god-like beings. It is a Kardashev Level 2.3 civilization, ie. extends to a sector of a galactic arm. There is no "Lord Foul" as such, but the neighbouring sector is not nice...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome to the Watch, kerb!
Kerb
Giantfriend

Post by Kerb »

Thank you, dlbpharmd!

I now climb down the tower (Kevin's Watch) and explore this forum!
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

Welcome and hope your birthday was happy Kerb!
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Boy, don't know how I dodged this thread....
err... hey all

My name's Phillip Dodson, and I live in northeast ohio, striking distance from Kent State University where I will soon be perusing the early manuscripts of SRD (heheheh, feel the jealousy)

I'm 22, my birthday is 12/12...
I'm really into philosophy and creative thinking. I try to never be set in my ways or ideas. I'm very opinionated, but also very pursuadable....

I stumbled on this place a while ago, and it's really been an amazing experience. You guys make my work day way more pleasant, and keep me mentally stimulated when I would otherwise be zoning out on a gameboy or something.

I like debate, but only friendly and good natured debate. I've been addicted to video games since I was about 6 and think of the world in video game terms a lot (you'd think that would be a problem, but it isn't)

I read the chronicles when I was maybe 14, and if anyone else here did that, they'll know how important the series is to me.

I work at Progressive Auto Insurance in Claims Reporting, so if you have progressive and get into a car accident, when you call it in, you just might talk to me :)
At which point I would have to transfer you somewhere else, because you aren't allowed to talk to people you know....
Oh well.
I'm into Tarot cards, and conversation more than anything. I am an almost cliche saggitarius, except that so far I haven't travelled much.
Pleased ta meet ya'll.
Boy, that post count just keeps climbing...
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

Hail JemCheeta, Oh Unfettered one! I consistently pleased to see so many "locals" here at the watch!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

JemCheeta wrote:I'm really into philosophy and creative thinking
you really need to read Neverness and, especially, it's sequel: The Broken God that absolutely TEEMs with a multitude of philosophical thought! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Yeah, I guess that's the billionth person to recommend it to me, so I should probably read it.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

I guess after 2 months on the board I should properly introduce myself.

My name is Lori and I live in Pasadena, MD...for those that are interested the town lies about halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis. I am currently 31 as Puxatauney Phil has pushed back my birthday for another 6 weeks. By day I am a chemist working in the cement industry, previous to that I spent 10 years in pigments and paints.

I was introduced to SRD's works through a friend of mine who also introduced me to this site. Been reading fantasy most of my life but also enjoy modern fiction: Irving, Updike, Morrison, Tyler, Beattie. I also enjoy gaming and have recently discovered the joy of playing over the net.

I have three cats that help fill my lap and destroy my house and pretty cool boyfriend who tries his best to stay out of the doghouse.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Well...let me chime in on this thread, as well.

My real name is Stephen Allange.
I live in LaPlace, Louisiana, which is in the swamps about 30 miles west of New Orleans.
I am 38 years old and married with two boys (a 4 year old and a 3 month old).

I started reading SRD back around 1982 or so. Can't remember exactly when, but at the time The Wounded Land was a new release in hardcover. I ordered it as one of my choices when I joind the SF Book Club. I delved right into it, burned through it very quickly, and then immediately set out to the bookstore and bought the 1st Chronicles in it's entirety.

Anyway, up to about 8 years or so ago, I was an avid fantasy reader, but things seem to happen to take away some of the time that one used to have.

As soon as I found out last year that Runes was being published, I have attacked all of my old books with new desire for reading.

I have been playing guitar now for about 25 years, and still love my 80's metal. But I do play classical guitar, as well.

As some of you may have read in the Hall of Gifts, I do quite a lot of writing of lyrics and poetry. The content may make you wonder what kind of person I am...and, no, I am not that person!

I found the Watch on a reference on SRD's website, and have been here for a couple of months now. It is the only 'web community' that I have ever belonged to, and it is so great to have so many of us fans together like this.

I just want to conclude by saying that I am very happy to have had the chance to get to know some of you a bit, and look forward to much more interaction with everyone in the future.

Steve
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

My name is Vickie Averhoff, and I am a veterinarian. I am 37 years old, my husband Jeff and I have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6. I live in Albuquerque, NM, and I have been a fan of SRD since I first read his books in high school. I was able to meet Mr. Donaldson when I was in high school and he signed my books (cool!) I also got an advanced "editors" edition of A Man Rides Through before it was even released.

I am also a serious Tolkein nut, and though I am a purist, I loved Peter Jackson's movies. I think if anyone ever tries to do Covenant as a movie, it will have to be someone of Jackson's caliber or the movie will just suck.

I was very happy to find this list- it's nice to be able to talk to other people who love and appreciate these books (and the whole sci-fi/fantasy genre) as much as I do.
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Damm I use Aztec Animal Clinic-so I'm afraid I don't know you or Jeff, yet. 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

I'm at Manzano. Aztec is a good clinic, though.
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”