The "How long can you RESIST buying/reading FR?" c

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

gonzo
Servant of the Land

Post by gonzo »

I suppose I'm in the negative numbers on the original question.

Had the book on pre-order from Amazon (UK) for about 6 months, and then realised I've got to wait another NINE days. Succumbed on Monday and ordered it on Tuesday from Amazon (US) and it arrived on 10th. Not bad - from US to Scotland in 1 day during a postal strike .... and -8 days.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

I couldn't wait at all. Saw it in the airport bookstore Friday morning (they probably put it out as soon as it came in due to a lack of storage space) and bought it at once. Read the first half on the plane trip. It gets pretty intense (hope that's not a spoiler-- does any SRD book not get intense?) so had to put it aside for the flight home lest it turn me morose for my long weekend with friends.
Finsihed it during my layover in Atlanta Monday.
Turiya
Stonedownor

I couldn't resist. . .

Post by Turiya »

Well, I'm done.

I'm physically/emotionally exhausted, and I did *not* do any of my stupid homework, but I am done with Fatal Revenant. . .until tomorrow when I'll probably read it again.
Spoiler
Let's just say the ending is just about as infuriating as the ending in RoTE.
I *really* want Against All Things Ending now. . . .
If...
ur-Thor
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Thor »

I bought it the first day it came out, but I'm only half way through rereading ROTE and as soon as I finish that again I'm gonna wait ..uh ..no ..no I'm not gonna wait, I'm gonna read FR as fast as I am able and then I'll be right back in the hell that is waiting for the next TC book to be published.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I forgot to post my time.
From the time I had it in my greedy little hands to the first sentence.....about 11 hours.

I'm about 1/4 the way through now.

Awesome....Awesome....Awesome!

Did I mention that it's totally awesome?

[/spoiler]
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

I finished mine last night about 9:30pm EST. I agree about the ending. I can't say anything about it here; I'll get skewered. BTW, can anyone tell me about how far a league is? I have no idea. It sure would let me put the travel parts in perspective a little better. :?
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Never mind on the league question: I found the answer on a university web site. A league is approximately 3 miles. So when they talk about walking 40 leagues, it's 120 miles. Since walking 3 miles an hour for a rested unencumbered person is within reason, it would take 1.67 days of NON-STOP walking to go 40 leagues. I'll have to keep that in mind when reading the next book, Against All Things Ending (hate that title).
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've not bought it yet. I've even picked it up in the store today and looked at the map, but had no intention of buying. I'm perfectly comfortable to wait until I get my £10 amazon voucher (in which case I can get it for £1 plus postage).
Ghostrider
Stonedownor

Post by Ghostrider »

Does it count if the only reason I haven't read the book is because I'm currently working on finishing another?

I've had the book since Tuesday. And it's standing upright in a place where I constantly see it, encouraging me to speed along my current read.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I am a saint AND a hero... but really. The book arrived yesterday and I let my Beloved to read it first... (well I have to finish my Runes re-read first)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Hirebrand Gilden
Servant of the Land
Location: Fishkill, NY (no we do not actually kill the fish, we love them)

Post by Hirebrand Gilden »

I lasted longer than I thought. I recieved the book on the 10th from Amazon and I started reading last night.
May the world you live in live up to the world of your imagination
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I've now had FR for over 48 hours and haven't started yet.

but that's because after ten zillion pages of continuous Malazon, current bit of Reapers Gale is getting really interesting. the last five and a half zillion pages have been a bit just-ok and i'm determined to stick with it in case i lose track of the 3 billion different character perspectives going on.

oh, and i'd really like to re-read ROTE beforehand too. somehow don't think that'll happen though.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
GrinsiKleinPo
Servant of the Land

Post by GrinsiKleinPo »

Hi folks!

I am from germany and i am waiting for FR as long as it took for the german translation. Maybe 2 years as the last one. I can wait maybe another 10 years for the stuff but i hope it will be not so long.

PS: sorry abut the bad mad german style english but i have some problems with the english gramma. Thats why i am not reading the english version of the books.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I live three blocks away from a bookstore and have still not bought it, even though I have the money and time to do so.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

Got my copy two days ago... finished it five minutes ago... now I have nothing to do for another three years... damn!
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...bouncing up and down with glee...

I can now cancel my hold on FR at the library, as my loan of EL's copy has arrived.

Thank you, EL! I will take good care of it until you get down here to Gator Town. And that will give all three of us time to read it, probably multiple times.

:biggrin:
ur-Thor
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Thor »

I started reading it last night, not looking forward to finishing it.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Still waiting for a call from the library - I'm 2nd on the list, so just waiting for them to catalogue the book onto their system and deliver it to my local library.

If I haven't heard by the end of this week, I might just go and buy a copy.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Verement
Servant of the Land

Post by Verement »

Just got back from SRD's signing at Waterstones (Manchester, UK). First time I have met him :Hail: (or any other Author for that matter :oops: )
Picked up my copy (Still think our cover is the best! :biggrin: )

I have just started reading the 1st Chrons and intend to read them all before I start on FR - and I am off to USA on Thursday 25th Oct so at least 2 weeks away from the book - it keeps starring at me and telling me to read it.... :hairs:
ur-Thor
Stonedownor

Post by ur-Thor »

I finished it last night ...I tried to make it last, really I did. I won't say anything about it but WOW.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”