Vampire: Dark Ages - Scene 1: In the Company of Strangers

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Vida smiles at the bouncy young child, then her face takes on a very solemn look. "I promise. We don't want your fingers and toes freezing off, do we?"

"We need to save them for the hawks to eat, anyway." she chuckles. Then, she takes Sabine by the hand, and after chatting briefly with the innkeeper, they head to the inn's bathing room through the rear door.

Bojan and the limping soldier continue to speak quietly.

The loud man from Sabine's table stands up now, and with his half-full tankard of ale in hand, strolls over to Seska and Taduz. "My Lady, I am Sir Leopold von Jungingen. It is a great pleasure to make your acquaintence." He mostly manages not to slur while he says this, and even mostly succeeds at the deep courtly bow with a flourish of his hand. The other hand holds the tankard of ale steady, though it does spoil the effect of the bow.
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Post by Seska Karantanija »

Seska looks askance while the knight bows, "Of course it is, sirrah."

"You have already regaled us with tales of your exploits in the so-called Holy Land. What more can we possibly expect from you this...," she looks to the door where the rain is increasing and then at her goblet of mead just beyond easy reach, "rapidly worsening evening?"
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Seska Karantanija wrote:"If, however, you are a good tutor and ever find yourself in the vicinity of Tótkomlós, then you may call upon my husband about whether your services would be of use..."
Alína's attention darts to the noblewoman who speaks the name of the nearest village to her own home, and she takes a quick intake of breath. It is the Countess Karantanija of Tótkomlós! Alína has no complaints with neither Count nor Countess; she made her home in Tótkomlós because of the residents tolerance towards outsiders and she believed the L-rd and Lady had much to do with the attitudes of their people within their lands.

And yet...
as a Jewess she is forbidden to bow to anyone but HaShem.
Best not push her luck in drawing displeasure by making obeisance to her Lady and yet refusing to bow before her.

Drawing her tichel even tighter about her, she reaches out her hands and manipulates shadow ever so subtly so that she is barely noticeable unless one knows she is there and continues to await her fish...
Olaf_Magnusson
Ramen

Post by Olaf_Magnusson »

An imposing figure strides in, shaking the rain from his very full head of hair, eyes roving quickly across the room. "Heilsa!" he cries. He then sniffs the air..."Mead! A flagon of mead would be most welcome!" as he sits at the first open seat he finds. His attire is strange.... the two most noteworthy being the helm he wears...the two upcurved horns, as if from an ox...and his shirt..it seems to be a bear hide, fur and all. Scars upon the exposed skin make clear this man is no stranger to violence, and the hefty axe he wears indicates his skill at it.
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Upon the brash entrance of the barbarian, and understanding none of what he said, Seska mutters under her breath in her native Slovene, "Dear Goddess... was it necessary to make my words prescient as well?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Sigismond looks confused at the statement by the tall viking. In badly accented German, he asks "I'm very sorry that you are German? How to help you can I?"

Sir Leopold rises again, and smiles broadly to Seska. "Why, I am a man of many talents, Countess. Just this year, my armsmen over there (he gestures to the two men left at the table) Wolfgang and Gunter, were protecting all of Christendom from the heretical beliefs of false Christians in Constantinople." His smile gets broader with this statement. "But in my own lands, I'm known as a fair and just ruler of my estate."

Sigismond's son steps out of the kitchen with a plate in his hands. He glances around the room, and frowns. "Da, where's the fish woman gone? Her fish is done." Sir Leopold pauses in his rambling to listen to the question. He also glances around the room.

His father quickly turns back to him, shrugging towards the large violent looking man in front of him, "Not now, son. I'm talking to this gentleman here." Leopold nods agreement, as if he were part of the conversation, and then begins speaking again of the Crusades.

Bojan and the soldier finish their chat, and stop huddling together at the table. Bojan turns to his mistress and tries to catch her eye. Seska notices the gesture, and unknown to Sir Leopold asks a question with her eyebrows. In response, Bojan nods towards the soldier.

Countess Karantanija widens her eyes and then glances towards Sir Leopold, pointedly. Her face clearly shows her displeasure with the current conversation. Bojan points to his own chest, eyes forming another questionmark. Seska nods her head emphatically, only just returning her expression to one of pleased interest moments before the crusader turned back to face her.

Bojan turns to the soldier and says something quietly, then rises and approaches Seska and Leopold. "Excuse me, milady. I have news for you that I think you should hear. Perhaps in the hallway, where there is more privacy?" With that, he and the soldier head to the doorway heading towards the rooms.
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Seska smiles at Bojan and with barely an "Excuse me" reaches for her mead and follows her fellow into the hallway.

"Thank you, Bojan," she says with much relief and a hefty draw from her drink.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Zeigenmörder wrote:Sigismond's son steps out of the kitchen with a plate in his hands. He glances around the room, and frowns. "Da, where's the fish woman gone? Her fish is done." Sir Leopold pauses in his rambling to listen to the question. He also glances around the room.

His father quickly turns back to him, shrugging towards the large violent looking man in front of him, "Not now, son. I'm talking to this gentleman here." Leopold nods agreement, as if he were part of the conversation, and then begins speaking again of the Crusades.

:snip:

Bojan turns to the soldier and says something quietly, then rises and approaches Seska and Leopold. "Excuse me, milady. I have news for you that I think you should hear. Perhaps in the hallway, where there is more privacy?" With that, he and the soldier head to the doorway heading towards the rooms.
Smiling to herself at the success of her cover, Alína lets loose the shadow surrounding her as soon as her Lady leaves the common room for the hallway. I did not realize how hungry I am. That fish smells marvelous...as she readied herself for Sigismond to show sign that he knew where she was even before she let go of shadow, having seen her settle herself in the corner before drawing upon concealment.
Johann Von Braniff
Woodhelvennin

Post by Johann Von Braniff »

I watch as the plumb lady shadows herself then unshadows herself, grinning. Would be a good trick to have, I think to myself, doing what I do.

My head snaps toward the door as the viking bursts through bellowing. I chuckle, realizing that no one here, except for the scholar, probably understood a word he said. I can tell the innkeeper is having a hard time communicating with him. I drop my legs from the table, stand and amble over them.

"Perhaps I can be of some help." I say in a low tone. "He wants mead. A flagon."
Taduz Illyannovich
Giantfriend

Post by Taduz Illyannovich »

Seska Karantanija wrote: "You have already regaled us with tales of your exploits in the so-called Holy Land. What more can we possibly expect from you this...," she looks to the door where the rain is increasing and then at her goblet of mead just beyond easy reach, "rapidly worsening evening?"
Taduz smiles slightly upon hearing this as he's seated himself back at his table, returning to his meal.
Olaf_Magnusson wrote:An imposing figure strides in, shaking the rain from his very full head of hair, eyes roving quickly across the room. "Heilsa!" he cries. He then sniffs the air..."Mead! A flagon of mead would be most welcome!"
His head whips around at the bellow and eyes the Northerner up and down, and begins counting tables in the establishment, pondering if any more show up, who will be forced to sit with whom if open tables become scarce. Well, one opened, the woman with the money appears to have left...
Seska Karantanija wrote:Upon the brash entrance of the barbarian, and understanding none of what he said, Seska mutters under her breath in her native Slovene, "Dear Goddess... was it necessary to make my words prescient as well?"
Taduz smirks at this, understanding most of it and replies softly in Rom "Mayhap the spirits take notice"
Goatkiller666 wrote: Sir Leopold rises again, and smiles broadly to Seska. "Why, I am a man of many talents, Countess. Just this year, my armsmen over there (he gestures to the two men left at the table) Wolfgang and Gunter, were protecting all of Christendom from the heretical beliefs of false Christians in Constantinople." His smile gets broader with this statement. "But in my own lands, I'm known as a fair and just ruler of my estate."
Taduz almost chokes on a mouthful of roast at the "fair and just ruler", and drains his cup to help it go down smoother.

Seeing the Lady retreat with her man at arms, Taduz begins eyes the others assembled there, and takes their measure thinking "She was saved from the church slaughterers tales, lucky lady. Who would be best if I needed to do so myself?"
Alína Nyárí wrote:Alína lets loose the shadow surrounding her as soon as her Lady leaves the common room for the hallway.
Upon seeing that table filled again, and thinks "There is more to this gathering than I thought.
Last edited by Taduz Illyannovich on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taduz Illyannovich
Tzimisce
Seeker, Koldun, Fleshcrafter.
  • Cards and Crystals
    • Flesh and Soul
      • Coins and Stars
        • Parts of a Whole
          • What do you See?
            • What do you Charge?
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Sigismond turns to Xander, "Ah, thank you my friend. Please tell him I shall have mead for him in just a moment." As he turns, he notices Alina still seated at her table. Frowning, he walks back to the kitchen.

Muffled through the closed door, the sound of a boy being slapped can be heard. Sigismond isn't quite shouting, but his voice carries loud enough into the dining hall to be heard, "She's right where she was, you blind fool. Now, no more of your dangerous pranks on Lord Claudio's guests, do you hear?"

Sigismond walks out of the kitchen with a tankard of mead in one hand, and the plate of still steaming fish and vegetables in the other. He swings by Alina's table first and deposits the plate with a flourish and a broad smile, completely at odds with his words of a moment before. "Your dinner, goodwoman. My apologies for the delay; my son still needs to learn when humor isn't funny." Then he moves past her and hands the tankard of mead to the taller viking. Again in badly accented German, he says "Will you also to eat the food?"
-----------------------------------------

In the Hallway

Bojan and the soldier arrive in the hallway, moving far enough in to allow room for the Countess to join them. A moment later, Seska herself joins them, goblet of mead in her hand.

"Milady, I would like to present to you Pierre, late of the Holy Crusade." Perhaps there is a touch of sarcam as he says this last.

The soldier bows to her, insofar as his leg and the tight space of the hallway will allow it. "Thank you for seeing me, your ladyship. I'm... it wasn't such a big thing that we needed to speak privately. I'm sorry if I gave that impression, your ladyship. I meant no disrespect." he glanced at Bojan, fearfully.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Pierre wrote:"Thank you for seeing me, your ladyship. I'm... it wasn't such a big thing that we needed to speak privately. I'm sorry if I gave that impression, your ladyship. I meant no disrespect." he glanced at Bojan, fearfully.
"Pierre is it?" she asks with an almost informal tone, "Think nothing of it. You have afforded me escape from what was sure to be a very droll conversation. In return for this service, I would be happy to discuss whatever it is you sought to ask."

A rosy hue has taken to Seska's cheeks and a slight grin is now affixed to her face. The mead is definitely starting to affect her.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Zeigenmörder wrote:Muffled through the closed door, the sound of a boy being slapped can be heard. Sigismond isn't quite shouting, but his voice carries loud enough into the dining hall to be heard, "She's right where she was, you blind fool. Now, no more of your dangerous pranks on Lord Claudio's guests, do you hear?"

Sigismond walks out of the kitchen with a tankard of mead in one hand, and the plate of still steaming fish and vegetables in the other. He swings by Alina's table first and deposits the plate with a flourish and a broad smile, completely at odds with his words of a moment before. "Your dinner, goodwoman. My apologies for the delay; my son still needs to learn when humor isn't funny."
Alína smiles up at the Innkeeper, yet to anyone who knew her they would have noted the haunted look that came in to her eyes. "This smells wonderful; thank you. I truly had no idea how hungry traveling for nearly two days has made me. But regarding your son...

"I believe he was not making a joke, as I was purposely not drawing attention to myself as he looked for me. Please do not think ill of him; I am sure he was merely befuddled but for a moment."

Alína sees that her words have little impact on Sigismond's interpretation of what happened and watches him go off to address the viking. I will somehow make up for the unexpected discipline which resulted from my interference with what you were expected to do, she thinks towards the Innkeeper's son, as she picks up her fork and begins eating.
Johann Von Braniff
Woodhelvennin

I scowl. Instantly angry after overhearing the innkeeper strike his son. Returning to my table, I listen as he converses with the woman, yet my mind wanders and memories flood it. I sink into past horrors as the Inn dims into shadows.
Olaf_Magnusson
Ramen

Post by Olaf_Magnusson »

A rueful grin upon his face, Olaf tries again. "My apologies. Mead, please". He looks thoughtful, and then tries Latin....highly accented, but grammatically correct with good syntax. "Is this tongue easier for you?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

In the Dining Room
Taduz Illyannovich wrote:in Rom "Mayhap the spirits take notice"
[Taduz made his perception roll.]The old woman farthest from the fire turns quickly at this comment, and nods to herself as she turns back to the events unfolding with the Norseman.

Sigismond holds up the tankard of mead, and says slowly, "Honigwein!" then holds it out for the Great Dane to take. "Will you to scarf of the food?" he asks again, more slowly, still in German. [He failed his linguistics roll.] Then he turns to Xander, and asks him in Hungarian, "Sir, would you do me the kindness of asking this gentleman if he would like dinner? I believe that he is not speaking German after all, though my own skill isn't so great. I should know how to say 'food', at least."

[1 bonus brownie point to whichever person can tell me what mistake he's making in German.]

--------------
In the hallway

Pierre nods his head, "My thanks, your ladyship. I wanted to ask for your help with a personal matter, m'lady. I understand that you're to see Lord Giovanni tomorrow. I also understand that he's growing his personal guard and is in need of good soldiers. I fought in the crusades against Constantinople, m'lady, brave and true. Your armsman here can vouch for me on that account, m'lady. I served my lord till the battle was all finished, and earned this leg as my reward."

Bojan nods assent. "I questioned him at length, Countess. He was certainly in Constantinople fighting on our side. He knows too much not to have been there himself."

Pierre grins at this praise for his honesty, "Well, your ladyship, I'm no good in a standing army with my leg like this. And I'm so far from home now, much to far to walk back with a limp. I have no skills, other than soldiering, but I'm honest and brave and willing to serve any Lord who'll have me."

He pauses now, "I hate to ask for charity, Lady, but I'd be forever in your debt if you could put in a word on my behalf with Lord Giovanni, when you see him on the morrow."

--------------
In the bathing room

Vida brings Sabine into the bathing room, now that the water is finally warmed enough. She puts one hand in, and smiles. "There, not too hot, but still warm. You have to boil the water on the stove, but then it would scald you. So you mix in some boiling water with some regular cold water. If you get the mix right, it feels wonderful. There, try it."

Sabine tentatively tries one finger in the water. When it fails to burn her, she puts her whole hand in. She turns to Countess's handmaiden and lets out a squeeling laugh. [Everyone in the hallway can hear this.]

Vida quickly gets her out of the dirty dress, she won't think of it as disgusting while she has to put her hands on it, and throws it on the floor. Then she picks Sabine up and lowers her gently into the tub.

-----------------
In the Dining Room (again)

Through the door come four men, together. First is Lothar, whom each have met before, followed by another man in clothes not quite as fine as Lothar's, though still acceptible in a noble's court. Behind him, two guardsmen enter, wearing Lord Giovanni's colors.

Lothar looks around the room, and scowls. "Not all have arrived, I see."

Sigismond turns from talking with the Norseman and bows to Lothar. "Master Lothar, sir. The Countess and her handmaiden have gone to the back. I believe they are washing the young beggar girl, so she'll be more presentable for Lord Giovanni tomorrow."

Lothar's scowl turns to a neutral expression for him, though still somewhat taciturn. "There are still two more."

The second man with him suggests, "Perhaps they were delayed in the storm? We can search for them in the morning, it should have spent itself by then."

Lothar nods agreement. "That will have to do. Though, perhaps others here would be more appreciative of Lord Giovanni's hospitality."
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabine
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Sabine »

I flinch at first, but let Vida lower me fully into the water. My expression at being in warm water for the first time in my life is one of wonderment. I'm even too amazed to laugh or squeel.

As Vida begins to gently scrub me with a cloth, I close my eyes and enjoy the attention.

[I'll stay like this until the water gets cold, or Vida makes me get out.]
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

(Sigismond uses Fressen instead of Essen. Basically to eat like an animal. :biggrin:)

"Well, Pierre," she takes another sip while briefly contemplating her words, "I cannot vouch for you after only meeting. However, maybe we can aid one another. Bojan and Vida will be remaining...." Seska gives pause and a slight chuckle at the squeal coming from nearby. "They will be remaining at the inn tomorrow. Although several of these people will be accompanying me to the dinner, I could use an escort in Bojan's stead. We can talk on the ride and if I find our conversation and your character satisfactory, I will put in a good word for you with Lord Claudio."
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Her eyes ever alert as she finishes her parve meal, Alína lays her fork down and waits silently, to see if more details of what is to occur at the L-rd's castle tomorrow is forthcoming.
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
Rishon, tishtadel l'azor,
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

Above all else, hasten to help.
And then, do no harm.

Johann Von Braniff
Woodhelvennin

The Innkeeper's request jolts me from the dark memories that had swept me away momentarily. I glare at him, I am not about to help him in any way after what he did to his son.

I am about to retort when the door opens and Lothar enters with the other three. Seeing soldiers sends me into instant panic. While free food and mead are always good, I decide I have had enough of this party. So while the Innkeeper converses with Lothar, I regain my feet quietly, sidestep into the shadows of the room and slowly make my way to the door...

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”