The Beatles

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Rubber Soul would be the next recommendation I would make...but go ahead and buy them all.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

I like The Beatles and all, but I will never call them the best of all time just because that involves so many subjective things. And ultimately there are other bands who have some songs I'd rather listen to.

That said, I think George Harrison was vastly underrated as a songwriter and Paul McCartney is over-rated.
Cail wrote:But I still don't get excited about their music, and I find that I enjoy their songs far, far more when someone else sings them.
I feel the same way about Bob Dylan.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Wildling wrote:
Cail wrote:But I still don't get excited about their music, and I find that I enjoy their songs far, far more when someone else sings them.
I feel the same way about Bob Dylan.
^this^
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

:highjacked:
Agreed...but let us not be distracted. It isn't about Dylan!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You have some of the best, Z. Now get Let It Be.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Let it be, Rubber soul, and revolver are kinda essential. Paul Mccartney is pretty much one of the rock bass gods up there with Geddy Lee and John Entwistle.. He may not play as fast, but his work and bass melody's surpass most anything I've ever heard. I'd kinda call him a virtuoso.. maybe xD
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Zarathustra wrote:At age 5 (1977) Sgt. Pepper was my favorite album. I played it over and over, so much that my parents became concerned about my obsessive listening, suspecting Satanic influences lurked somewhere in the music, and destroyed the record.
That was my favourite album at about the same age! I used to play it over and over. I especially loved Lucy in the sky with diamonds and Mr. Kite. However, my parents gave the album to me rather than take and burn it! I still think this is one of the greatest whole albums made.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

The Beatles

Post by SleeplessOne »

Zarathustra wrote:I'm not one of those people who just recently found out how great the Beatles were. At age 5 (1977) Sgt. Pepper was my favorite album. I played it over and over, so much that my parents became concerned about my obsessive listening, suspecting Satanic influences lurked somewhere in the music, and destroyed the record. It's tempting use this traumatic experience as the explanation for decades when I lost interest in the Beatles, but love affairs with other bands like Van Halen (junior high school) and Rush (high school) and then jazz fusion (college) are the real explanation. As a bass player, I was seeking ever more challenging music to play, and I thought virtuosity with one's instrument was the definitive sign of Good Music. No one would call any member of the Beatles a virtuoso.

But this leaves songwriting out of the equation, not to mention vocals (much of my favorite music is entirely instrumental). So after wearing out all my CDs, and bemoaning the sad state of new music, I dug out my Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour CDs. My wife really liked them, and asked if we could get more, so at her prodding, I purchased Abbey Road, Revolver, and The White Album.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never listened to these classic albums. Ever. Sure, I've heard the hit singles, but many of these songs were 100% brand new for me. [New music! Damn!] I'm frankly astonished. Abbey Road, in particular, blew me away. I can't get this music out of my head.

So, of course, I'm going to have to buy every damn Beatles album. Any suggestions which ones to get next?
I too grew up with a pretty strong familiarity with the Beatles, (you & I are around the same age), but similarly, I only delved completely into their catalogue a couple of years back.
I too was blown away by the depth of quality of their material.

one thing I disagree with regarding your post; surely Paul McCartney qualifies as a 'virtuoso' musician by rock/pop standards?
some of his basslines are amazing (Taxman, Hey Bulldog are two of my faves) and his guitar work is also frequently inspired - add to that his solid piano playing (For No One) and you've got a pretty versatile and gifted muso.

having said that, I'm not one of those who subscribes to any divisive reading of the Beatles; I used to consider myself more of a Lennon man than anything else but have come to conclude that the alchemy between the four Beatles was absolutely a case of the whole being great than the sum of it's parts.
I always loved this Slate article analyzing the Lennon/McCartney union
www.slate.com/articles/life/creative_pa ... art_1.html

As for their albums, I love them all, the early stuff shouldn't be written off imo, there's some really spirited stuff there amongst the ubiquitous stuff that you hear on the radio every day.
Some of the covers are great, others are daffy and fun; the reverb on the vocals is always amazing (Anna/There's A Place).

A Hard Day's Night is pretty cool too, got some hidden gems (I'll Be Back/You Can't Do That), and Beatles For Sale has it's charms (Every Little Thing/No Reply).

One last thing, a side-note, a rant I have been developing over time : I take issue with anyone who wants to disparage Ringo's drumming or damn him with feint praise; I hear it all the time : 'he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles' etc.
Rubbish.
Anyone with ears should know that this guy was great; there's numerous recordings that testify to his cool style.

Having read up obsessively on the group over a couple of years, I've concluded that Ringo's unfairly diminished reputation comes down to a combination of two things :

1. George Martin replaced Ringo with a bloke called Andy White for the recording of the band's first single, 'Love Me Do' (Martin also originally panned George Best's drumming, which had led to Ringo's recruitment in the first place).

2. McCartney played drums on some Beatles recordings, mainly on the White album I believe - this was due to Ringo temporarily going AWOL due to the extreme tensions surrounding the band at that time. Ringo wasn't available.
Now; McCartney, to my ears, is a competent drummer; but I've never heard any evidence to suggest he was *better* than Ringo.
McCartney, jack-of-all-trades and always involved and full of ideas in the studio, was also reportedly instrumental in suggesting some of the group's more distinctive drum patters, like Ticket To Ride.

But have a listen to She Said, She Said - or Tomorrow Never Knows. Or Strawberry Fields.
Ringo could step it up with the fills if it was required, but he was perfect for that band in that he was just as often content to sit back and provide the backbeat with a tasteful hit here and there.

Btw Z, if I may be so bold can I recommend an *amazing* but fun book by the late Ian McDonald, it's pretty much the perfect companion piece to the actual music; the guy's analysis is almost preternatural and he really shines a light on the band in a way that no-one else had been capable of.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_in_the_Head
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

The first Beatles LP I bought was "With the Beatles", really early, mono not stereo. Lost it, could kick myself. Sgt Pepper is a must. Again, know all the songs all the way through. Also love the White Album. We have them all here on vynil.

I can remember being in the playground at school in my first year of seniors. Someone said had I heard that new record by the Beatles. I said "Who are they?" 1963. :D A year later they were all over my bedroom wall (along with Ilya Kuriakin and Napoleon Solo) :oops:

Edited because my memory is playing tricks with me!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Iolanthe wrote:Ilya Kuriakin and Napoleon Solo
Ah--the Man from UNCLE. A more traditional spy show, aside from the fact that Solo was partnered with a Russian agent (I don't recall that he had defected), particularly when compared to The Prisoner, which bordered on the bizarre.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My mother just showed me a great Beatles video from 1965:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFLwzc5754
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The Beatles were disdained by me for the first seventeen years of my life, then I started really enjoying Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Then the White Album and Abbey Road started to grow on me.

I now like all of their albums (though not all tracks), and consider Revolver to be the best one they've ever done.
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Revolver is probably my favorite. Sgt Peppers is probably one of my least favorite.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SleeplessOne wrote:A Hard Day's Night is pretty cool too, got some hidden gems (I'll Be Back/You Can't Do That), and Beatles For Sale has it's charms (Every Little Thing/No Reply).
I'm listening to Beatles For Sale today, and I especially like the hidden gems you mentioned (Every Little Thing/No Reply), as well as "What You're Doing" and "I'll Follow the Sun".
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

The Beatles

Post by SleeplessOne »

Cord Hurn wrote:
SleeplessOne wrote:A Hard Day's Night is pretty cool too, got some hidden gems (I'll Be Back/You Can't Do That), and Beatles For Sale has it's charms (Every Little Thing/No Reply).
I'm listening to Beatles For Sale today, and I especially like the hidden gems you mentioned (Every Little Thing/No Reply), as well as "What You're Doing" and "I'll Follow the Sun".
Eight Days a Week is obviously a gem from Beatles for Sale, too ...

I quite like 'Baby's in Black', you can find some pretty good live takes on youtube of that tune - although after reading Ian MacDonald's seminal 'Revolution in the Head' I cannot un-hear the nursery rhyme 'Johnny's So Long At the Fair' when I listen to it ..
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: The Beatles

Post by Cord Hurn »

SleeplessOne wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:

I quite like 'Baby's in Black', you can find some pretty good live takes on youtube of that tune - although after reading Ian MacDonald's seminal 'Revolution in the Head' I cannot un-hear the nursery rhyme 'Johnny's So Long At the Fair' when I listen to it ..
Absolutely "Eight Days A Week" has an eternal charm about it, SleeplessOne!

And speaking of "Baby's In Black". I really enjoy the vocal harmony they do in the lines, "Oh, how long will it take, 'til she sees the mistake..."
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Cord Hurn wrote:
SleeplessOne wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote: I'm listening to Beatles For Sale today, and I especially like the hidden gems you mentioned (Every Little Thing/No Reply), as well as "What You're Doing" and "I'll Follow the Sun".

And speaking of "Baby's In Black". I really enjoy the vocal harmony they do in the lines, "Oh, how long will it take, 'til she sees the mistake..."
for sure; their harmonies in general (and I do love the harmony you mentioned more specifically, too) really elevate the material and take it over the top.

Have you read 'Revolution in the Head' www.amazon.com/Revolution-Head-Beatles- ... 1556527330 Cord Hurn?
great book; I highly recommend it - features a long dissertation on the 60's and the Beatles role during the period, and then goes on to analyse and critique every one of their songs.
The author Ian MacDonald (who tragically committed suicide) is extremely insightful, and, whilst being a huge Beatles fan himself, is not adverse to dishing out some well-argued criticism where he thinks it's warranted - I don't always agree with his views, but he absolutely makes you think about things in a new light and has some incredible insights into their process ...
anyway, might be a bit much for some, but I loved it, have a copy sitting in my bathroom and you can easily pick it up and open to any page and just start reading (although I reckon I've memorized most of the book by now).
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

No, I've never read "Revolution in the Head", SleeplessOne, but I appreciate the link, and will look at the reviews for it! :thumbsup: :)
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Julie bought me a book about the Beatles lyrics for Christmas. it is one of a few that I own, I love reading about the hows and whys of the songs they wrote.

a few favorites.

I've Just Seen a Face

We Can Work It Out

Ticket to Ride
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SleeplessOne wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:
SleeplessOne wrote: Eight Days a Week is obviously a gem from Beatles for Sale, too ...

for sure; their harmonies in general (and I do love the harmony you mentioned more specifically, too) really elevate the material and take it over the top.

Have you read 'Revolution in the Head' www.amazon.com/Revolution-Head-Beatles- ... 1556527330 Cord Hurn?
great book; I highly recommend it - features a long dissertation on the 60's and the Beatles role during the period, and then goes on to analyse and critique every one of their songs.
The author Ian MacDonald (who tragically committed suicide) is extremely insightful, and, whilst being a huge Beatles fan himself, is not adverse to dishing out some well-argued criticism where he thinks it's warranted - I don't always agree with his views, but he absolutely makes you think about things in a new light and has some incredible insights into their process ...
anyway, might be a bit much for some, but I loved it, have a copy sitting in my bathroom and you can easily pick it up and open to any page and just start reading (although I reckon I've memorized most of the book by now).
It does indeed cover the Beatles songs really thoroughly, SleeplessOne! Thanks!

Return to “Vespers”