Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Too late to suck up, Life!
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Zephyr wrote:Too late to suck up, Life!
Bah! Deva's quarrel is NOT with "XAR"!! It's with that scurrilous dog and failure of an AllFather!! Three strikes and He will be OUT! [Hmmm ... and perhaps be replaced by an AllMother? ;) :P ]
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Xar, I think I hit a wrong button while working on my turn. If you recieved an email from me, please disregard.

Thanks!
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

For personal and professional reasons unrelated to the game, I am having to announce my withdrawal from Pantheon. Thank you all for having me. It's been a great game, and I've enjoyed playing my deity and interacting with all of the others.

I am terribly sorry to do this to my allies but, due to factors beyond my control, I just can't continue playing.

For those who are interested...Eztlicoatl wasn't a god. My concept for the creature was that he was merely a thing which crawled from the Abyss, in the time between P2 and P3. He took the form of a giant snake (probably by possesing one nearby) and stumbled upon the old ruin of the Temple of the Sun God. Once there, he was mistaken for a manifestation of the Sun God by the remnants of the bloodthirsty sun cult. They sacrificed to him and fed him. Eztlicoatl, nurtured thus, developed a strange conception of love. He knew that he was loved if people killed for him, or killed themselves for him.

Alas, he was imprisoned by jealous worshippers of other gods (who also did not exist), who then attempted to destroy him with a ritual. Due to a quirk in the ceremony, interrupted by one of his faithful, the ritual instead succeeded in binding Eztlicoatl's soul to the Sun. Consequently, though his body was trapped in the caves beneath the the Sun Temple, his soul was constantly wracked in agony, filling his mind with fear and hatred for anything else which called itself a god. Being aware he was not a true god, he devised a creed which fulfilled his insecurities, by denying the existence of all other gods and, hypcritically, labelling the true gods as the liars, the devils, the deceivers.

However, agony had driven Eztlicoatl insane. While he still needed his form of 'love' and adoration, in the form of living sacrifice, he always wanted more and more devotion. His ultimate goal was self destructive, therefore - the sacrifice of all life to him in perverse proof that all living things loved him.

The reason I chose a snake as the image of my god was two-fold: on the one hand, snakes are creatures which need sunlight to warm their blood; and on the other, the snake is traditionally connoted, within popular imagination, as a creature of deceit. I was basically giving away the fact that Eztlicoatl's whole creed was a carefully constructed lie.

Once again, my apologies for rather uncermoniously dropping the game. Thanks to all players for letting me take part.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*bows*

Your whole concept was brilliant and well executed, Montresor.
May your research and dissertation proceed apace.
cho, for one, will miss Eztlicoatl.

...although I now look forward to having followers explore the Great Temple of the Sun on Zevente...
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

You will be missed!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Very much so. Take care Montresor. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Good luck Montresor.

(Your background fits Ezt's communications with Brid perfectly :D .)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow. What a huge event for P3. Changes quite a bit of the game. Yes, you'll surely be missed.

And yeah, cool story. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sorry to see you quit man.

--A
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Good luck, Montressor.

Hopefully you will be able to join P4.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

You did some amazing things this game, Etz. It was great playing with you!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Any chance we can hear about any of it? I have no idea what Ez did. Always curious. (Obviously, I wouldn't expect to hear anything that may have been done or set up against Z. Heh.)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Thanks for all the kind words.

When I have time, I can satisfy some of your curiosity, F&F. I won't talk about anything relating to my allies, or who my other allies were. It was amusing though that, last turn, when I told you how I was going to attack you, you responded in exactly the way I wanted/expected you to...It would have made my real attack so much easier :)

If Xar is wondering how to write me out....Eztlicoatl would have flicked the switch. I think you may know what that means...
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Montresor wrote:If Xar is wondering how to write me out....Eztlicoatl would have flicked the switch. I think you may know what that means...
8O

crap

I do hope it is not what I think it means...

...but if it is, yeah.
I can see Eztlicoatl going out that way.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Montresor wrote:It was amusing though that, last turn, when I told you how I was going to attack you, you responded in exactly the way I wanted/expected you to...It would have made my real attack so much easier :)
Actually, I didn't respond at all. When Bhakti was 43 DRPs strong in P2, he made the forest (among other things) immune to unnatural fire forever. I put my DRPs into other things. (And, of course, as soon as Lore said Nor Yekith was returning, I began making everything unmutatable. Not like this day wasn't coming, eh? :D)
Montresor wrote:If Xar is wondering how to write me out....Eztlicoatl would have flicked the switch. I think you may know what that means...
I don't. Unless it's a Mists issue. And even that, I don't know much detail. But I had gotten the impression that you were the one who had uncovered one of Eiran's big secrets, so I guess you know of a big switch. hehe
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Eiran is not the same without Eztlicoatl. Montresor, I'd like to thank you for sharing with us the greatest god of the world. His absence will be acute, and I think the game for me will be less enjoyable.

Unfortunately, this places me in a predicament not unlike that faced by France when Russia withdrew from the first world war, leaving Germany with one less front. A strange analogy, but apt given that Nor Yekith entered the war purely because of a political alliance.

Regardless, with Eztlicoatl leaving Eiran Nor Yekith and the Void are left facing a difficult situation. Xar, I request an extension for turn submissions. I really need to reconsider my strategies.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

If you need any help planning things... :mrgreen:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zephyr wrote:If you need any help planning things... :mrgreen:
If you need help applying termites to your trunk . . . . :biggrin:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Lore, I am unsure how Xar will respond to your request, but I feel you should be made aware the response may hang for a couple of days as Xar will be AFK until at least late tomorrow (German time anyway). That is, if he does not access the Watch during breaks while he is driving back from Rome to Heidelberg.

Return to “Pantheon”