Wordy words from FR

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

OK, y'all convinced me. I'm wrong. The "chrysoprase" sentence is a complete winner. I was intellectually lazy (something I was called recently, but for different and completely inaccurate reasons). I looked the words up, but instead of trying to think about why SRD was using them, I just threw my hands up in the air and said, "Here you go again!"

I have changed my review on Amazon to reflect this change in attitude - and since this so-called "review" is verbosity epitomized, I've stuck it right at the top, preceded by the word "EDIT".

Let's hope people are still looking at that page, and that with your help, we can make a difference. (That sounds so cheesy.)
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hooray for Burg! :)
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

lurch wrote:in Runes, the author pulled a similar little humorous " play" of words. I have forgotten all the details, but basically the name of the guys son, the son who Linden apparently may have dated once or twice,,well his name in olde english meant ,,2nd rate,,which was a hint at why possibly nothing ever became of his and Lindens relationship.
Lurch, who are you talking about? I don't remember any reference to Linden dating except at the very beginning of TWL, something like "her one or two attempts at lovemaking bored the sh@t out of her"...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Relayer wrote:
lurch wrote:in Runes, the author pulled a similar little humorous " play" of words. I have forgotten all the details, but basically the name of the guys son, the son who Linden apparently may have dated once or twice,,well his name in olde english meant ,,2nd rate,,which was a hint at why possibly nothing ever became of his and Lindens relationship.
Lurch, who are you talking about? I don't remember any reference to Linden dating except at the very beginning of TWL, something like "her one or two attempts at lovemaking bored the sh@t out of her"...
Thank You!!, I stand corrected. It has been too long between books. The word play referenced is at the bottom of page 27 and again at top of page 37 in Runes. Linden was not the character involved, it was Sandy!..Sam Diadem's son who Sandy dated occasionaly( pg 27) and her no particular impulse to get married ( pg 37)..she dates the son of the " king" and isn't impressed with him..or...Sandy is so rock solid with her " self",,that just because the guy is a " Prince",,isn't enough to move her . Sandy is True to her self.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Oh yea, forgot about that one. Wasn't Jeremiah doing some work for him too?

And I even once wrote a short fanfic from Sam Diadem's son's perspective... ;-)

Wonder if I still have it around.

blindherviolet
Servant of the Land

Post by blindherviolet »

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been 10 years since I read the 1st and 2nd Chronicles), but SRD never used the magick with a k before the last chronicles? The word magick compared to magic has definitely grown in understanding over the years and the theories behind its creation have become a more widespread ideal.

I too thought he used theurgy a whole frikkin lot, but I didn't let it bug me :)
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I don't think he ever used the word magic at all. Unless maybe TC said something like "what is this, magic!!??"

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I dissliked the 'k' in magic...I perferred it when he used theurgy.

Re; Puissance/Puisant. How do most people pronouce it?
I've seen the word all my life on the french side different products. 'Maxi-Puissant' = 'Extra Strength'.
And I always thought of the French pronounciation as something like 'Pwee-san'
ut when I read it Donaldson's works, I usually give it an english sound. 'Pew-sants'
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I say pwee-sont.

The dictionary says pyoo-uh-suhnt and pwis-uhnt are correct. (I am not.)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Scott Brick in the reading of ROTE says "pew-i-sant."
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea, in French it would be something like pwee-san...

I enjoy Brick's reading but he misses a few words, notably "schist" (a type of metamorphic rock) which he pronounces "skist" ... the correct pronunciation is "shist."

Then again, I always said "Ran-yun" instead of "ron-uh-hyn."

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

P'wee-saun(t).

P'wee as in Puh-wee, saun(t) as in saunter, drop the ter.

Just as Gary Gygax would

*rolls d20*

articulate it.
B&
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I usually say 'pwihs-uhnt, but I'm notorious for my mispronunciations.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

"Theurgy" and "puissant" were way overused, in my humble opinion.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Although I love (and obviously misspronounce) Puissance in the Chronicles.

I found it overused in FR...It's great in the narraatiion...but it semed that everyone also used it in their speach. That's what I didn't like.
It's like if Linden ws REALLY from the Real World; she'd have to get someone to explain to what the word meant.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

drew wrote:Although I love (and obviously misspronounce) Puissance in the Chronicles.

I found it overused in FR...It's great in the narraatiion...but it semed that everyone also used it in their speach. That's what I didn't like.
It's like if Linden ws REALLY from the Real World; she'd have to get someone to explain to what the word meant.
Agreed.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I wish Fatal Revenant would get scanned, either by Amazon or Google. I don't have the memory that some of you guys have - but I don't recall SRD ever using the word magick with a K in FR. Perhaps I missed that, or, if it was there, more likely forgot it. My brain has extreme limitations on what it will hold onto, and is quite ruthless when it comes to releasing vast quantities of knowledge.

I know that he hasn't used magick in any previous books.

Interesting to note: he used the word "magic" withOUT a "K" in all of his Man Who books.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

drew wrote:Although I love (and obviously misspronounce) Puissance in the Chronicles.

Just a fun fact:

Puissant was used:

1x - TPTP
5x - TOT
2x - WGW
5x - ROTE

Once Amazon scans FR, it will be interesting to see how often it was used.

It wasn't used in The Mirror of her Dreams, and A Man Rides Through wasn't "Search Inside" enabled. Neither was the Gap series.

The only book that a Google search found it in was TPTP.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Not to be intentionally fickle, but while I do understand that SRDs meticulous care in his phrasing (see above "chrysoprase" comments) helps paint a more accurate picture, a reader shouldn't have to look in multiple sources to find the words. That was my main problem. I had a good dictionary on my nightstand, the Oxford American Dictionary, but many times I had to consult online dictionaries, and a few times go straight to OED.com itself.

Again, I do understand the hidden humor that can be found, and all the positive benefits. And I'm all for using exactly the right word, but I wouldn't want to send my readers scurrying for multiple dictionaries. Not everyone is going to want to hunt down all of the words.

That said, reading SRD has helped prepare me for the GRE. :-) There are several words labeled as "difficult" that I've been seeing in print for more years than I care to admit. Which is a good thing, because we learn slower the older we get, and that drop off started for me around 25 or so. ;-)
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

burgs wrote:1x - TPTP
5x - TOT
2x - WGW
5x - ROTE
That's all?? It sure seemed like more than that in ROTE. Does Amazon scan the whole book?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”