Vampire: The Requiem - Lordenshaw Opera House (Elysium)

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Jonathan Belmont wrote:With Mina at his side, Jonathan made his way up the stairs and into the Grand Hall of the Lordenshaw City Opera House. Chandeliers laden with gleaming crystals illuminated everything with a warm, soft light that only just banished the shadows to the farthest corners of the room. The stage, richly framed with curtains of blood-red velvet, was watched over by three tiers of large, comfortable-looking chairs arranged in long curved rows, with the fourth and highest tier given over to private booths.

From what Mina had told him concerning previous Courts, these booths were normally occupied by the City's leaders, who could then look down on both the Hierophant and the rest of Lordenshaw's kindred with disdain. Tonight however, they were dark and full of shadows, although Jonathan wondered if repairs were really the reason for their being left empty.

Given the size of the Great Hall, the first tier of seating would have easily accommodated the entire Vampire population of the City, yet none who had entered so far had chosen to sit there. Most sat at least as far back as the middle of the second tier, as if wanting to maintain a safe distance between themselves and both Scythia and those that she had decreed would sit beneath her gaze. Following their example, Jonathan and Mina chose two seats at the end of a row about a third of the way up the second tier, in an area already occupied by a number of their fellow Carthians.

It wasn't until the flow of people entering the Great Hall waned and everyone began to take their seats that Jonathan realised that something was wrong. The first tier was still empty. None of the other Covenant leaders, or those Clan leaders who were not part of the Circle of the Crone, had followed the crowd inside.

"Discontent?" murmured Mina. "You might have been a little over-optimistic there, Scythia."
Mina placed a pale hand in Jonthan's, and her cold fingers clasped his. "This is wrong. The closing of the booths was a calculated incident, and it could be the first nail in Scythia's coffin. Yet, I do not wish it. I'd sooner have her as the Prince than her lackies or even one of the covenant leaders."

Many more Kindred were filing into the hall, and as the middle and back of the first tier was being filled, some were sitting further back still. Then, a African man in a black suit strode down the walkway and stood beneath the stage.

"Come now," he said aloud. "Please, this is quite simply inappropriate. Have we become afraid of 'seats'? Have we become too trapped into tradition that the closing of the booths would have us afraid of 'excellent viewing'? These front seats cost a fortune; I payed that to see the Phantom of the Opera."

The African man walked confidently to the middle of the front row and sat down with crossed legs. Suddenly, the hall filled with murmouring and moments later several more vampires began to sit closer to the stage. A Kindred in priest robes appeared apoplectic as he walked to the front. A tall, extremely obese vampire in a red and black silk suit followed him with a mocking smile. He sat down with a pompous air, and was joined by the other covenant and clan leaders.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Maddoc
Woodhelvennin

Post by Maddoc »

Maddoc lets himself drift into the theater, carried along by the crowd. He sits in the last row, near the aisle, and watches the creatures around him.

His expression is that of a theater buff on opening night. “I really should’ve bought a program,” he muses excitedly.
Jonathan Belmont
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Jonathan Belmont »

"I've noticed", Jonathan remarked softly to Mina as he watched the Covenant leaders and their entourages settle in their seats, "that Nwoso does not seem to resent the Hierophant as much as Ms Aphese or the other members of the First Estate. I'd give a lot of money to find out just how she keeps him leashed like that."

"I know you don't like talking of your time in the Invictus, but was he always like that?"
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Maddoc wrote:Maddoc lets himself drift into the theater, carried along by the crowd. He sits in the last row, near the aisle, and watches the creatures around him.

His expression is that of a theater buff on opening night. “I really should’ve bought a program,” he muses excitedly.
"Maybe you should have, Maddoc," says a voice tinged with humour. A man in an expensive suit wearing sunglasses sits down beside him. Both hands are steepled before his face and he then turns to look at Maddoc with a grin baring fangs. "We have not met, but no doubt you have heard of me. I'm Doctor Herbert Montefiore."

"Like you, I have no desire to sit near the front. In fact, you could say right now I have no desire to be in the hall." He paused a moment as a group of Kindred filed down the isle. "I hope the taxi was to your standards. If not, I am contrite however it was all I had available. Otto was indisposed, and I was tasked with ensuring that or new recruit arrived. The Ordo Dracul has a mission for you, and it is one that I very keen to be carried out.

"When this stupid play finishes, please come with us to a neaby hotel and listen to what we have to say. Oh, there will be no refusal I might add."

Doctor Montefiore grinned widely.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Jonathan Belmont wrote:"I've noticed", Jonathan remarked softly to Mina as he watched the Covenant leaders and their entourages settle in their seats, "that Nwoso does not seem to resent the Hierophant as much as Ms Aphese or the other members of the First Estate. I'd give a lot of money to find out just how she keeps him leashed like that."

"I know you don't like talking of your time in the Invictus, but was he always like that?"
"No; as of tonight he has suddenly changed," Mina mused. "Where Pyotr is boiling - which worries me - Nwoso is calm. If you ask me, he's enjoying this."
Jonathan Belmont
<i>Elohim</i>

"Perhaps he has also noticed the likes of the young lady with the leg braces arriving in the City and hopes to win Scythia's aid in remaining in power. Or maybe he's seeking to put the Hierophant at ease so that when he does strike it will be all the more surprising."

As the last stragglers found their seats, the more prominent members of the Circle of the Crone entered the Hall. Callidia, Lydia Hibberd, and a young woman that Jonathan guessed was Sammy 'Quicktongue' did not sit, but rather waited near the steps that lead up to the stage itself. They were joined by a darkly beautiful woman who walked with a sinewy grace and held herself like a cat ready to pounce - all coiled strength and pent-up energy.

"Severine. Scythia's Hound", Mina whispered with a shiver. "And so it begins."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Severine slowly gazed across the hall, her dark eyes glittering in the soft light. As her companions descended to the front seats, she took her seat at the back. She slid into the seat, and adjusted her dress. Like a snake guarding a nest of hatchlings she sat tense. Severine resumed her observance of the audience. When she glanced at Jonathan, she smiled, revealing elongated fangs that curved back. Her eyes were almost pools of darkness with hints of green and gold. Then she looked away.

After some time, fewer people entered the baroque doors. Most of the lower seats were taken, and there were over a hundred Kindred in the hall. When the lights began to dim, someone closed the doors and the sounds of talking dimmed to whispering.

The stage curtains, dark red and covered in gold symbols, slowly parted. A single white illuminated the stage and the Prince, the Hierophant, strode out from the opening in the curtain.
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Following the crowd into the hall, James kept mostly to himself. He was one of the last in and noticed that the seats were being filled fast. Looking around he noted with disdain that in order to sit he would be forced to sit next to one of these... freaks.

Crossing his arms, he lent against the wall instead, ignoring the arrogant glances he received from nearby kindred. With somewhat lack lustre interest, James watched the proceedings.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Khalida Mufarrij »

Making her way safely home, in spite of the previous overwhelming gold waves that had affected her, Khalida heads straight to her computer and logs in to her email. Shaking her head in frustration at no response yet from Robert, she decides to check her Spam folder, since it would be coming from an address she had not set to recognize.

Still not seeing an email that could possibly be from the doorman, another email from an address she does not recognize catches her eye in the Spam folder. "Kindred group? Guttermouth? Spring Gathering? What is this?" she wonders aloud, as she opens the email and reads the message.

A cold wave of awareness washes over her. She has had some fun with her clients in the past, whispering suggestions to them in the afterglow of their passion and taking satisfaction as her suggestions are incorporated into City politics. But this is something she knows nothing about. "Tatiana, where are you?" she wonders to herself.

Stripping out of her "professional" attire, she considers what to wear. She had gone with her father to productions at the Opera House as a child, before his marriage to her step-mother, and she remembered them as grand, formal affairs. But last she heard, the Opera House had been closed for years; needed renovations to the building, the economy, and the lack of culture in current society all leading to the demise of Lordenshaw City's Opera Society. This sounded more like a meeting than entertainment, so she picks out a tastefully designed skirt suit over a gown and dresses herself to impress her new society; hoping all the while Tatiana will somehow intercept her before she must enter.

Grabbing her clutch, she hurried back to the car and drove into the night.

Seeing the clock on her dashboard, her breath catches. 10:30, and she still needed to find parking. She hoped parking wouldn't be too crowded so she could still make a fashionably late entrance. As long as she arrived before this "Prince" did, she should be alright.

She hoped.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Tatiana Ivanova
Ramen

Post by Tatiana Ivanova »

Tatiana approached the Opera House, muttering dire imprecations under her breath. She smiled however, when she saw her childe, Khalida, about to enter. "Must take care to nurture this one" she thought, going over and warmly embracing her, kissing her briefly. Entering the foyer, she sees Ivan standing there. Adopting a chill, precise air, she greets him simply with, "Tovarisch"
Ivan Karpenku
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ivan Karpenku »

Ivan isn't surprised that the lackey in the tuxedo not only made him wait before deigning to bestow wisdom on him... but that once the waiting was done, the wisdom was something as useless as "be respectful". At least he knew which one of them was Maxim.

No coat check in sight, Ivan hefts his shoulder back to his shoulder and heads to the doorway into the main theatre hall. He'd thought to keep the guns in there, so as not to trigger any security checks. But nobody seemed to care.

His sire's voice drifted through his mind, Most of the Kindred in that room can do more damage with a glance than a gun, anyway. It seems that fear of the Heirophant's Hound was enough to keep everyone in line. That thought sent a cold wave of fear down his spine. He's not the biggest fish in THIS pond, and he'd better be careful.

Just then, he hears his native tongue from behind him. There's Tatiana, with some other woman. The woman is pretty enough, and seems to be following Tatiana like a lost puppy. Interesting.

Taking this opportunity to let Tatiana show him what the power groups in the city are, he nods to her and then holds open the door to the main room.

As he steps into the main room behind the ladies, he looks around to see where Tatiana will have them sit. The Heirophant is going to be on the stage, it looks like. The rest of them are in groups... probably by covenant... in the main audience area. They look... awkward, having to face forward, turning sideways to talk to each other, leaning over to the row in front of them... the Heirophant chose well, choosing this location.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Surprisingly, parking was not a problem, and Khalida soon found the side doors where those who had already arrived were entering the Opera House. Hesitating before immersing herself in to the unknown, she feels Tatiana's presence before she sees her, turning to be embraced warmly and indulging in a brief kiss. "This is where I belong now," she thought, closing her eyes momentarily as she basked in Tatiana's presence. "If nothing else, tonight's earlier escapades showed me I have much to learn."

As they enter the foyer, Khalida is struck by the sudden change in mood flowing from Tatiana, then mutely watches her address a thin wiry man. The man is dressed in a burgundy silk shirt with black slacks and well polished expensive shoes. He has on a Russian designer black leather coat, if her recollection of current fashions is still accurate. There was nothing about him to cause the reaction she felt within, and yet from him, as well as from everyone else it seemed, she was becoming overwhelmed with fear. She drew closer to Tatiana, trying desperately not to give in to her emotions and flee, and followed her into the hall when the wiry man held open the door. She assumed introductions would come later. They were already late...
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Ivan Karpenku
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ivan Karpenku »

[language=russian]"Where shall we sit? I don't know any of these, and didn't want to accidentally make friends with our enemies."[/language]

[language=english]"Who is this one? A pet, perhaps? Or a hooker?"[/language]
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

the wiry man, in broken, heavily accented English wrote:"Who is this one? A pet, perhaps? Or a hooker?"
Khalida stopped dead in her tracks. "Pet? Hooker??" she silently wondered to herself. "This man doesn't even know me!" Turning briefly to cast her most withering look of disdain towards him, she lifted her head higher and continued to follow Tatiana's lead, both to their seats, and in reaction to this man. After all, someone was already on the stage preparing to address the audience; Khalida felt at the moment it would be best if she didn't attract attention to herself.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Tatiana Ivanova
Ramen

Post by Tatiana Ivanova »

A gentle caress of Khalida, and a whispered "He is here to assist me, our Sire commands it. He is useful, in a limited, crude way. I will correct him".

[language=russian] Not a hooker. Pet, perhaps.. She is my childe. She has many connections to the mortal power scene. Not to mention, look at her. Think Sparrow School.[/language]

Taking her ostensible comrade in tow while guiding her childe, Tatiana finds them all seats together among the Circle of the Crone.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Prince Scythia walked confidently to the centre of the wide stage, her arms crossed beneath her breasts and head held high. The light remained on her constantly, the pale skin gleaming and the many jewels and talismans about her tall body were glittering as she moved. She faced the large audience of vampires and seemed to stare at each and every one, but her eyes were lost in pools of shadow. She uncrossed her arms and placed them by her sides.

"Kindred of Lordenshaw city, welcome again." She said in a cool, confident voice. "I am glad so many of you were able to arrive here tonight, despite the demands of the Danse Macabre. Despite your problems. Despite your misgivings with others. We gather here as Kindred, united in blood and unlife. Bound by the need to stand in the night together, because we are hunted and because we each are damned. However you wish to look at our existences, covenant or not, we are all alike in so many ways. Tonight, you show that. Following the violence and bloodshed that preceded the end of the Mikhailov reign you have all respected each other whenever we meet formally, and notably there has been no strife outside of Elysium. Yes, we are alike. We are Kindred.

"So, it may come as a surprise to every one of you when we discuss Traditions. Laws. Need I speak of the First, Second and Third Traditions? Need I remind you of the Masquerade, of Siring another, of Amaranth? I hear some whisper those two questions now if I do not see it in your eyes, sisters and brothers. It does not pain anyone, nor cost anyone their self-respect, to be reminded. But the traditions were born of necessity, and necessity demands I speak aloud of them. As of tonight, none has been broken. We are Kindred; we will not break them.

"But I now declare a Fourth Tradition. The Tradition of the Oath. There are rumours of unaligned vampires entering the city. Despite the vast population of Lordenshaw city, we simply do not have enough cattle to satiate all of your desires let alone the many who enter without my authority. I and the Regents alone determine who feeds in this city. I and the regents determine the rules of behaviour here. We are Kindred. This is our city.

"Thus, this is my ruling. I declare that Kindred newly sired and new entrants to Lordenshaw city shall bow to me and declare an oath. An oath of obedience to my rule, the traditions and to the feudal domains of the regents. Any vampire who does not kneel before me this night or any night for that matter will be cast out of the city. If they still feed despite being banished, I will have the Gorgon reduce them to ash."

The opera chamber was still and tense. The air seemed as cold as the heart of a winter storm.

"James Randel, Jonathan Belmont, Khalida Mufarrij, Tatiana Ivanova, Ivan Karpenku, Maddoc, Dante Altman, Kinnon," Scythia said aloud, continuing to name a few more Kindred. "Present yourselves before me."
Maddoc
Woodhelvennin

Post by Maddoc »

Loremaster wrote:"We have not met, but no doubt you have heard of me. I'm Doctor Herbert Montefiore. Like you, I have no desire to sit near the front. In fact, you could say right now I have no desire to be in the hall. I hope the taxi was to your standards. If not, I am contrite however it was all I had available. Otto was indisposed, and I was tasked with ensuring that or new recruit arrived. The Ordo Dracul has a mission for you, and it is one that I very keen to be carried out.

"When this stupid play finishes, please come with us to a neaby hotel and listen to what we have to say. Oh, there will be no refusal I might add."

Doctor Montefiore grinned widely.
Maddoc matches the Doctor's smile with a less-polished one of his own. "Refuse? But I love room service, Herb" Maddoc says, "and I love that suit!" He nods appreciatively at Montefiore's garb, brushes an imaginary piece of lint from the Doctor's shoulder.

"The Dead Man told me about you, Doc. If I have questions, he said, you might have answers. And I do have questions, Doc, lots and lots of 'em..." Maddoc's voice trails off as the spotlight falls upon the Heirophant and the auditorium quietens. Nearly a hundred corpses turn their attention to the stage.

"And popcorn," whispers Maddoc, "I should've bought popcorn."
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Quietly chuckling with disbelief, James looked around the room. Surely this bitch was joking. Until tonight he didn't even know she existed and now she wanted him to bow to her. Not gonna happen.

He stayed where he was, watching the others quietly to see who was pathetic enough to give in to this woman's demands.
Maddoc
Woodhelvennin

Post by Maddoc »

As the Heirophant speaks, Maddoc's eyes grow wide with surprise. "I..I won? I won! This is, it's just so unexpected..." Maddoc says, rising from his seat and shaking Montefiore's hand enthusiastically. He waves to the crowd, gives the 'thumbs-up' sign, and moves quickly down to the stage.

Clambering up onto the raised platform, Maddoc beams like a starlet. He strides into the spotlight, all but ignoring the Heirophant.
"First, I want to thank God, through Whom all things are possible..." he says, his expression of victory muted by one of mock humility.
"I have to thank everyone that worked so hard to make me the success I am, I-"

Maddoc falls silent as the Heirophant's malefic presence finally cuts through his posturing. Stepping backwards to the edge of the spot light, he ducks his head protectively, mercifully quiet.
Jonathan Belmont
<i>Elohim</i>

A Fourth Tradition?

Jonathan was impressed with the Hierophant, and a little surprised at her subtlety. Demanding such an oath was anything but subtle of course, but because she demanded it only of newcomers and neonates, the Covenant leaders would be hard pressed to find a legitimate reason to protest.

Pyotr would likely still do so, although Jonathan suspected that his ideological objections to Scythia's proposal had already been anticipated and a solution to offer the Idealist privately formulated. If the Hierophant didn't choose to simply dismiss his concerns.

Sigismund would also be outraged, although Jonathan knew that that had more to do with the Bishop's hatred of the Circle than with any desire to protect those whose oaths Scythia demanded. Besides, the majority of those called were unaligned, a group for which the Lancea Sanctum had little time.

Jonathan turned to Mina with a slight question in his eyes. This she answered with a barely perceptible nod. He knew that she agreed with him - that it was better not to rock the boat right now - but her support strengthened his resolve.

Just as he was about to stand, a scruffy kindred, skinny to the point of emaciation, rushed on stage jubilantly and began thanking God and and anyone else he could think of. As if he had just won an Academy Award.

Jonathan gaped at the fool as he strode into the spotlight in front of Scythia, then grimaced slightly as the her fury washed over him, quelling his exuberance.

Mina shook her head incredulously. "Courts are seldom dull, but this...this is just insane."

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”