Fantasy themes and films

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

U have just met another person who loves the Hyperion books--We have a Simmon's topic in Gen. Sci-Fi @ the Hangar--see u there! Actually I have been VERY tempted 2 start a full Simmons forum---might b a tuff go @ 1st, but there r lots of Simmons fans at A Song of Ice and Fire!
fall far and well Pilots!
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

LOTR

Post by Earthblood »

Exactly Duchess! The swords did have special powers due to where they came from & I totally forgot about the seeds/soil as Sam's gift. Not to be too critical though, I really enjoyed the movie. I already own the animated versions of the Hobbit & LOTR. Can't wait for TTT!!
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I can't wait for it either. I just got home from the grocery store, and while drving by the movie theater I saw on their big sign that they are selling tickets starting today! Guess where I'll be tomorrow standing in line! :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

:D Yes, Yes, my Precioussssssss, I have my Two Towers tickets!!! :D
(excuse me, as now i must go dance through my house for joy)
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Good luck! :lol:
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

danlo wrote:Landwaster, I don't kno about "Spares" but a book u might b interested in, along those lines, is The Kiln People by David Brin.
Haven't heard of it, Danlo, but if I see it around, will give it a go!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Prince of Amber wrote:I haven't been to this board for a while. so imagine my surprise to find I'd had a sex change 8O
Landwaster - have you read any other books by F.Paul Wilson? I think I've read the whole Keep cycle but I think some other books intesect and I'm not sure how that all works out.
Oops ... t'was the 'Amber' thing that flummoxed me. Apologies!

Nope, had no idea there was a cycle! Might have to check it out.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Earthblood wrote:My only real disappointment w/FOTR was the TOTAL exclusion of the hobbits meeting w/Tom Bombadil & thier encounter with the dead in the barrows on the way to the Prancing Pony.
Did anyone else notice that Jacko's FOTR followed in a slightly similar vein to Bakshi's cartoon version?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Is that the cartoon version with the singing orcs?? That freaked me out a bit when I first saw it...
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

duchess of malfi wrote:Is that the cartoon version with the singing orcs?? That freaked me out a bit when I first saw it...
Hmm ... singing orcs ... not sure if remember that, but probably. Yes its a cartoon version. Done by Ralph Bakshi, of Fritz The Cat fame.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

haha .. I must get my Two Towers tickets soon too!! .. I just saw the new Harry Potter movie and it was really good!!

a bit sad to hear Dumbledore died :( .. wonder how that will impact on the other 2 book/films ..

anyway it was quite good ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

Landwaster wrote:
duchess of malfi wrote:Is that the cartoon version with the singing orcs?? That freaked me out a bit when I first saw it...
Hmm ... singing orcs ... not sure if remember that, but probably. Yes its a cartoon version. Done by Ralph Bakshi, of Fritz The Cat fame.
Yup. As Saruman's Uruk Hai come over the crest of the hill in front of Helm's Deep, they are singing their war chant in deep, sepulchural tones that just sound SO cool. To hell with the Hakka, this is really scary! If the New Zealand All Blacks started singing this one, they'd be facing an empty pitch! :D

Of course there are going to be similarities between the Bakshi version and PJ's - they're both trying to be as close to the source material as possible. However, I think both were improved by the deletion of the Tom Bombadil scenes. God knows what Tolkien was smoking when he wrote that, it sure wasn't Westfarthing Weed!

I do think there was one scene in which the Bakshi version was far, far better, and much scarier. That was in the room in the Prancing Pony when the Nazgûl attack. In PJ's they just breeze in through the door. In Bakshi's, they materialise through the shadows at the bottom of the room. Far more menacing!

15 days, 6 hours 29 minutes to go to TT. It's not like I'm counting down the time or anything :wink:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Maybe I'm remembering a different version. The singing orcs I remember were walking through Mordor, they're the ones that pick up Frodo and Sam when they're in disguise. They are singing some sort of song about whips and being slaves of Sauron??
And I have my TTT tickets, too. I get to see it at 7:30PM on December 18. I even have a vacation day from work, am I sick or what??
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

If I remember correctly, Leonard Nemoy did some of the singing on Bakshi's soundtrack... nothing can make up for that.

I liked Tom Bombadill, but I think it was a good move to cut him out. Plot flow, and all.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Michael Giantfriend wrote:Yup. As Saruman's Uruk Hai come over the crest of the hill in front of Helm's Deep, they are singing their war chant in deep, sepulchural tones that just sound SO cool. To hell with the Hakka, this is really scary! If the New Zealand All Blacks started singing this one, they'd be facing an empty pitch! :D

Of course there are going to be similarities between the Bakshi version and PJ's - they're both trying to be as close to the source material as possible. However, I think both were improved by the deletion of the Tom Bombadil scenes. God knows what Tolkien was smoking when he wrote that, it sure wasn't Westfarthing Weed!

I do think there was one scene in which the Bakshi version was far, far better, and much scarier. That was in the room in the Prancing Pony when the Nazgûl attack. In PJ's they just breeze in through the door. In Bakshi's, they materialise through the shadows at the bottom of the room. Far more menacing!

15 days, 6 hours 29 minutes to go to TT. It's not like I'm counting down the time or anything :wink:
Fantastic, I have an ex-rental video of Bakshi's LOTR, I'll have to go check that out again. I remember the thousands of red eyes and that was eerie enough. Hehe Jonah Lomu --> Uruk-Hai ... does much need to change? :twisted:

Well I would have liked to have seen the barrow episode shown in film, and even the issues with trying to get around the trees in that forest between Hobbiton and Bree.

I reckon I agree that Bakshi's Prancing Pony scene of the Nazgul attack was very eerie, and probably tips Jacko's version.

15 days? That's 20th Dec, right? Cor blimey, we don't get it until Dec 26!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

duchess of malfi wrote:Maybe I'm remembering a different version. The singing orcs I remember were walking through Mordor, they're the ones that pick up Frodo and Sam when they're in disguise. They are singing some sort of song about whips and being slaves of Sauron?
Hmm, Bakshi's version doesn't get as far as Mordor, it only went as far as Helms Deep. So perhaps its a different show!
duchess of malfi wrote:And I have my TTT tickets, too. I get to see it at 7:30PM on December 18. I even have a vacation day from work, am I sick or what??
Obsessed, perhaps, but no, not sick :)

I think you lot should all wait until Dec 26 out of moral support for me. Its just not fair, I tells yer. :(
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I'm getting my tickets today!!!!!

for the 26th Dec that is :wink: :wink: :P

cannot wait .. and will be avoiding fan-sites till at least the 27th!!! heh!!

cool!!!! wow the Harry Potter lines were soooo long .. mmm .. maybe for 'TTT' I should start queing now .. mmm ... :wink: :P :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Lord Skyweir, I will not say a word about the movie on this forum, until it opens up down in your country! :D
Love as thou wilt.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

LOL .. many thanks Duchess

if our situations were reversed .. I dont know that I could contain myself that long!! :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

ts'ok - shout from the roof-tops!!

.. I will avert mine eyes .. and mine ears :wink: :wink: :P 8)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I'll just stick it in it's own thread with a spoiler warning for you and Landwaster and Vain! :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”