Drowning = Pregnancy???

Archive From The 'Tank
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I think it would be a waste of time to try and ban contraception. But, does a state have the legal ability to? I think so. Why not? I mean, people want the US to ban guns, yet that's actually mentioned in the Constitution, so banning things not mentioned should be even easier?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sure they have the ability to, and you don't have to use guns as your yardstick. Remember the panic over Four Loko a few months back? A drink was banned because it dared to mix caffeine and alcohol. And then there's the bans on marijuana and other drugs too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Well, I don't want to go where this argument ends up ["is there a right to privacy or not?" and the associated issues]...BTDT...but I can't think of a legal and logical way to say the States can ban contraception [and definitely not guns, and probably not 4-Loko either] unless you're ALSO willing to say things like "The FBI is prevented from executing warrantless/unreasonable searches, but the States can allow state/local cops to do it if they want to."

All I'm saying is to claim the ad [or whatever] means that drowning=pregnancy, [and by extension then dying=giving birth] is to completely miss the point...which is that to forbid PREVENTION, in both cases, results in unwanted instances of both.

On a pragmatic level, the number of women and children's lives saved by the availability of contraception is at least in the hundreds of millions.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

There is no enumerated right to privacy in the Constitution. The R v. W decision dreamed up a right to privacy that only covers abortion, as that same right to privacy doesn't allow you to sell your organs, use drugs, or prostitute yourself.

I don't believe that contraception should ever be banned, but in a society that accepts prohibitions on drugs, guns, smoking, and other personal choices, you can't argue that our government couldn't do it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

sindatur wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote:
Vraith wrote: No, Santorum definitely said the States should have the right to outlaw contraception and sexual behaviors.
After further review, I have to give this one to you.
So, you're not willing to give up blow jobs and "Doggy-Style", amongst other common sexual activities, at Santorum's (And others') direction? Cool. glad we can count on you to support that at least ;)
Don't ask and I won't tell ;)

OTOH, unlike a couple of others, if I catch myself giving out bogus information, I'll at least offer a retraction. :)
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:There is no enumerated right to privacy in the Constitution. The R v. W decision dreamed up a right to privacy that only covers abortion, as that same right to privacy doesn't allow you to sell your organs, use drugs, or prostitute yourself.

I don't believe that contraception should ever be banned, but in a society that accepts prohibitions on drugs, guns, smoking, and other personal choices, you can't argue that our government couldn't do it.
On most of that, I agree.
No enumerated rights: true. But the Constitution also specifically says it does not enumerate all of the rights of the people...explicitly acknowledges other rights NOT listed exist.
AND I think it isn't legally/logically consistent to maintain even the enumerated ones if there is not a fundamental right to privacy. It is an axiom that must exist for the rest of the structure to stand.

And I didn't say...or mean...the Gov'ts [whatever level] COULDN't do it...that's just a matter of power. It would be [is, for many of those that already exist] INCONSISTENT legally/logically to do so.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Vraith wrote:
Cail wrote:There is no enumerated right to privacy in the Constitution. The R v. W decision dreamed up a right to privacy that only covers abortion, as that same right to privacy doesn't allow you to sell your organs, use drugs, or prostitute yourself.

On most of that, I agree.
No enumerated rights: true. But the Constitution also specifically says it does not enumerate all of the rights of the people...explicitly acknowledges other rights NOT listed exist.
AND I think it isn't legally/logically consistent to maintain even the enumerated ones if there is not a fundamental right to privacy. It is an axiom that must exist for the rest of the structure to stand.

And I didn't say...or mean...the Gov'ts [whatever level] COULDN't do it...that's just a matter of power. It would be [is, for many of those that already exist] INCONSISTENT legally/logically to do so.
You're missing the important point here. The right to privacy concocted in R v. W only covers abortion. It doesn't exist for any other medical purpose, nor does it exist for other personal choices.

If you try to commit suicide and fail, you'll be involuntarily confined to a mental facility no matter how hard you try to assert your right to privacy.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

And, that right was supposed to be "between a woman and her doctor". Most people who get an abortion never actually meet an M.D. along the way. It's all done by technicians.

Anyway, is there really a groundswell to "ban birth control"? (Please remember that I live in Africa and we keep losing access to news.) Because it sounds like a straw man to me. (Or is that Romney? Maybe that's his problem after all, what his head is stuffed with.) :D
Vraith wrote:All I'm saying is to claim the ad [or whatever] means that drowning=pregnancy, [and by extension then dying=giving birth] is to completely miss the point...which is that to forbid PREVENTION, in both cases, results in unwanted instances of both.
I claim the meme portrays unwanted pregnancy as putting a woman in a helpless victim role, and that what is happening to her body is a fatal horror and it's all the fault of people who want to ban birth control, as if that would ever happen anyway. And as if in more than 99% of cases (and that only among women seeking abortion, not the entirety of pregnant women) she was somehow not willingly participant in the act that led to her pregnancy, that it is all just "happening" to her. That should offend for two reasons-- that it denies her responsibility as a woman, and that pregnancy is a pathologic condition.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

deer of the dawn wrote:And, that right was supposed to be "between a woman and her doctor". Most people who get an abortion never actually meet an M.D. along the way. It's all done by technicians.

Anyway, is there really a groundswell to "ban birth control"? (Please remember that I live in Africa and we keep losing access to news.) Because it sounds like a straw man to me. (Or is that Romney? Maybe that's his problem after all, what his head is stuffed with.) :D
Good point about the dearth of M.D.s at abortion clinics.

And no, there's no credible push to ban birth control. It's just a scare tactic.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

deer of the dawn wrote:
The main source is a mandate by (I believe) Obama where all health care provisions offered by a company to employees need to offer birth control. This pissed off a bunch of people on the right, cause they ain't paying for no abortions or for whores to party down! Also, some religious institutions (Catholic ones come to mind) did not want to provide birth control due to their religious beliefs. People on the left then started crying foul! Quit declaring war on women, 'Publicans! Others then said denying birth control to non-Catholic workers was akin to forcing their beliefs on their employees, some student (grad/law I believe) testified to congress. Rush, classy fellow that he is, called her a prostitute and said he should have video of her sexual encounters since his tax money would be paying for it. People told him to burn in hell, Rush apologized, Santorom went insane thus ensuring that Romney got the Republican candidacy.

Then some other Congressional POS talked out of his rectum about 'legitimate rape' not being a cause for pregnancy and we got the meme we are discussing in this thread.

That's the outside of it. Keep in mind that birth control, aside from control birth, is also a useful medical therapy for some conditions. This gets glanced over by both sides but reflects worse on Republicans, at least that's my impression.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:
And no, there's no credible push to ban birth control. It's just a scare tactic.
I agree, there's no credible push ATM. [yea, the catholic church would be in favor of it...but even most catholic individuals aren't right now...and there is a push to stop sex-ed except for abstinence, which is tangential but not irrelevant]
Nevertheless, that IS what the meme is about.
The meme may be a scare tactic, or not...I'd never seen it till this thread.
What kind of tactic is it to say something isn't about what it IS about? Or about something else?
How many threads have us [royal us, not me-you us] arguing about THAT argument?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Vraith wrote:
Cail wrote:
I agree, there's no credible push ATM. [yea, the catholic church would be in favor of it...but even most catholic individuals aren't right now...and there is a push to stop sex-ed except for abstinence, which is tangential but not irrelevant]
Nevertheless, that IS what the meme is about.
The meme may be a scare tactic, or not...I'd never seen it till this thread.
What kind of tactic is it to say something isn't about what it IS about? Or about something else?
How many threads have us [royal us, not me-you us] arguing about THAT argument?
I will bet you any amount of money you want that there will never be a credible push to ban birth control in either of our lifetimes.

Democrats and Republicans need to accept two very simple truths....

Bush was in office 8 years and had a majority in congress for part of it. There was no legislation introduced (much less passed) to outlaw abortion.

Obama has been in office for 4 years (probably 4 more) and had a majority in congress for part of it. There was no legislation introduced (much less passed) to outlaw guns.

Both parties work for exactly the same thing (eternal power and repayment of their sponsors), they just use different fringe issues to stir up their base.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I would move for a constitutional amendment limiting the access of Rush Limbaugh to microphones. He can use his right to free speech anywhere where only those who actually want to hear him have to. :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

deer of the dawn wrote:I would move for a constitutional amendment limiting the access of Rush Limbaugh to microphones. He can use his right to free speech anywhere where only those who actually want to hear him have to. :P
Difference is that neither you or I are required to finance his use of said microphone.

Government mandates to require insurance to cover contraception or abortion are requireing you and I to finance the use of those services.
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Rawedge Rim wrote: Government mandates to require insurance to cover contraception or abortion are requireing you and I to finance the use of those services.
And it's nothing compared to requiring "you and I" to finance Creationism as science [and apparently, I haven't looked into this yet, so don't vouch for accuracy, many modern maths are as false and "unproven" and dangerous as evolution], religious schools, and abstinence-only education.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Tom Leher wrote:Hurray for New Math
New Math!
It's so simple
So very simple
That only a child can do it...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Savor Dam wrote:
Tom Leher wrote:Hurray for New Math
New Math!
It's so simple
So very simple
That only a child can do it...
I need to obtain this album (as well as the following two mentioned), my brother used to play, Bill Cosby "Ajax Liquors/Noah's Ark", and Robin Williams Reality what a Concept frequently when I was young, memories of good laughs.

Oh, also need to get George Carlin "7 Words You can't Say On TV":

"Sir, it's time to get on the plane"

"Fuck You, Lady, I'm getting IN the Plane"

I do see the liberal argument that this Meme is a comparison of Banning Birth Control to Banning Life Jackets, but, of course, that has no impact on anyone's argument about the morality/Right of having an abortion, and though some may want to use it as such now, I don't believe the original intention was to compare Pregnancy to Drowning
Last edited by sindatur on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Ajax Liquors and Ajax Airlines were Hudson and Landry.

"Four fifths of tequila, four fifths of scotch, two cases of beer...are you having a party?"

"No, I just trying to work up the nerve to go to confession..."

Wow, have not thought about those routines in many years!

As for Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television, I still have the copy of Class Clown my parents gave me for my birthday when it came out...and my father took a paring knife to the Seven Words track after one playing. Didn't matter, I could quote most of the routine from memory...and still can.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Savor Dam wrote:Ajax Liquors and Ajax Airlines were Hudson and Landry.

"Four fifths of tequila, four fifths of scotch, two cases of beer...are you having a party?"

"No, I just trying to work up the nerve to go to confession..."

Wow, have not thought about those routines in many years!

As for Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television, I still have the copy of Class Clown my parents gave me for my birthday when it came out...and my father took a paring knife to the Seven Words track after one playing. Didn't matter, I could quote most of the routine from memory...and still can.
Oh my bad, duh, of course you're Right, Bill Cosby was only a 45 of Noah's Ark. I believe Ajax was also a 45, but, with both tracks on opposites sides. Lehr and Williams were 33 1/3 Albums, and Carlin was my own cassette tape
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Vraith wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote: Government mandates to require insurance to cover contraception or abortion are requireing you and I to finance the use of those services.
And it's nothing compared to requiring "you and I" to finance Creationism as science [and apparently, I haven't looked into this yet, so don't vouch for accuracy, many modern maths are as false and "unproven" and dangerous as evolution], religious schools, and abstinence-only education.
I don't know of a single government run school that seriously teaches Creationism as a serious subject.

Don't know anything whatsoever about the "math models"

I will say however, that however distasteful you may find "Abstinance Only" sex education, it has one absolutely truthfull assertion that cannot be gainsaid: If one reframes from engaging in sexual intercourse, one will not become pregnant, or become infected with a sexually transmitted disease."

Any other solution is a roll of the dice.
- Adm. Grace Hopper

Return to “Coercri”