RUSH back in the studio. A new CD is on its way

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Let's rock!!! :R DEW
fall far and well Pilots!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

aTOMiC wrote:Well Malik I don't think I can agree with most of your opinion. Of course it’s all about particular tastes. Counterparts and Test For Echo are two of my favourite Rush cds after Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Vapor Trails has a few really spectacular songs and the lyrics are both intelligent and heartbreaking but it just didn't hit me the way I would have anticipated. I've listened to Snakes and Arrows and though the music is pure excellence and the lyrics thought provoking, the songs in general have an inaccessible quality. Fixit is right when he points out that S&A doesn't have a mass market single, IMHO of course. One of the reasons I like Rush is that they are a Prog band that manages to capture genuinely memorable hooks and choruses that resonate immediately. The approach Rush took with S&A is decidedly not mainstream. After my first listen only the instrumental "The Main Monkey Business" seems to grab me like a bowl of ice cream. I'll have to listen to this cd a number of times and let it marinate a bit before it begins to seep into my consciousness.
Okay. The Marination period is over. That's the last time I listen to a new RUSH album for the first time at work. After a few more goes at home and in my truck I find that most of my first impressions were full of crap. Snakes and Arrows is terrific. One refreshing thing I've come to realize is that RUSH has returned to the sonic clarity of Test For Echo. The only thing that I didn't seem to like about Vapor Trails was the gritty, fuzz that every song seemed to be filtered through. (I've heard the talk about how the cd was mixed.) S&A delivers on multiple levels for me but it took becoming at least somewhat familiar with the material. It reminds me of the personal shields of the DUNE series. If I fire a new RUSH cd at my mind, it almost invariably ricochets off. But like the slow blade, if I am deliberate, take my time, settle in and really listen to the cd, the good stuff gets through. I'm quite happy with S&A.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I listened to S&A over the weekend, and for a comparison, I also listened to TFE, Vapour Trails, Counterparts, and Presto (I didn't think it was fair to include RTB as it's one of my favourites, or Feedback, as it doesn't contain original material). S&A held up pretty good, but the thing I noticed right away is Geddy's vocals are eq'ed with the hight end rolled almost completely off, which if you're not a fan of his vocals, it's probably a plus. Me, I think it's a negative. Musically, the cd is great. I'm still not entirely happy it goes through what seems to be half the cd before Alex takes a solo, but overall the cd is growing on me. Another thing I noticed is how weak Presto was mixed; time to get the remaster!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Atomic, I like the Dune shield analogy! I heard these songs on a radio program first, and they didn't really affect me at all. Then I spent a day listening over and over, and fell in love with every song.

Dan, I have problems with the mix, too. And not just the vocals. After listening all week mainly on headphones, I cranked up this weekend on my main system. It's not nearly as bad a VT, but it is far from perfect sonically. It seems over compressed, leaving little room between all the layers. The bass drum and bass guitar are very "boomy" [not like rap music--I mean too much "space" as if played in a large hall with poor acoustics]. Their placement in the soundstage is not well defined. I find myself having to turn down my subwoofer or turn down the bass, but then everything else suffers from sounding too weak. There are a more than a handful of clipped soundwaves, producing a "crackle" or "pop" (or one of those damn cereal elves--not sure which one :) ). Symbals don't really "shimmer," but sound flat and distorted. The same goes for the highs in Ged's voice, as you've noted.

I'm hoping that the hi-rez DVD-A they're releasing next month will sound better.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

See, I'm going to be upset if there's a noticeable difference between the cd and dvd....sheesh, I didn't pay for a 2nd rate recording here. Anyway, you might be interested to find out Geddy played a fretless on "Malignant Narcissism'. That would be a first for him, which is kind of funny, considering I've even been recorded playing fretless..... :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Can't do Spirit much better than this! :R
fall far and well Pilots!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So is anyone going to the Cincinnati show this Saturday? I've seen them at Riverbend before, way up in the grass. They were fantastic that night. It should be another great performance. I've been spoiling myself like crazy on Youtube, watching crappy phone videos of various dates on this tour. Geddy sounds amazing. The new stuff comes off well live (9 songs off S&A!). And the old gems
Spoiler
Circumstances, Witch Hunt, Entre Nous, Mission, A Passage to Bangkok
are greatly appreciated!
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

I'm going! :D
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

:D

See you there, Girl.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

That's KiGirl to you. :biggrin:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Wow, wow, WOW! What an amazing show. I've seen Rush 8 times now. They've never sounded better. That high vocal part after the solo in Freewill has been something that Geddy just hasn't been able to hit for like 25 years now. But last night, he nailed it. I turned to my wife in total shock, and we shared an OMFG moment.

The kids had a blast. My 6-yr-old spent nearly the entire show on my back. But that 55 pounds didn't slow me down. I danced and jumped the entire 3 hours. And right there in my peripheral vision was a little boy's arm raised in sheer joy. His little voice shouting, "Yeah!" along with my favorite band will be something I'll never forget.

This is a fantastic tour. Please treat yourself and catch it before it's gone. (And you might want to get the new CD and familiarize yourself with those songs--they play nine of them.)
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Nine of the new songs, huh? 8O That's great! Glad to hear they're playing well, too. (Not that I'd really expect anything else...). I'm seeing them this weekend in Chicago, and am pretty hyped up!

It's cool that your son enjoyed it. Mine's only two, so wouldn't have the attention span for a concert yet, but maybe someday...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So how was the Chicago show?
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

It was fantastic! I mean, I've never seen them sound bad, but this was really good. The whole show had a great energy level. On some other shows, I've had a hard time picking out some of what Alex is playing, but the mixing was great this time. Not only that, but I think I actually heard some of his vocals this time. (Usually, all I can make out is when he says "subdivisions"). Plus it was a great night for an outdoor concert, nice cool breeze, clear skies. Just perfect.

What did you think of the set list? I thought playing that much of the new album was a pretty good move, 'cause I think it's s real strong one. I was really surprised by the number of songs that they played that I had never heard live before. I've been going to shows since "Roll the Bones" and there were easily 4 or 5 that I had never seen live (in addition to the new stuff). I think it's great that they change up their set list to play different stuff from the older albums, not always just the "greatest hits" type stuff. Probably keeps them more interested too.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Good to hear that you liked it.

Yes, I loved the setlist. I liked hearing the songs they've never played before, but Entre Nous was a bit disappointing. They did a great job on it, but maybe it's not really a concert song after all. It just didn't pack a punch like the others. Witch Hunt blew me away. That may have been the highlight for me. Circumstances was great. And I love Mission--the outro guitar solo always sends shivers up my spine.

The new stuff was fantastic. I think this may be their best CD ever. I'm not joking. I used to say that Hemispheres was my favorite. And I love Moving Pictures, Signals, Permanent Waves, 2112, etc.. I even like Vapor Trails. But the more I listen to this one, the more it grows on me. I can't stop listening to it. The songs are such a strange mixture of raw power and haunting emotion. The way they are all structured around acoustic guitar, with dense layers of electric and bass, gives them a complexity that is unique even for Rush. Whereas past albums relied upon complexity of song writing (time signature changes, lots of fast jamming, long epic length, etc.) this complexity is a lot more subtle. It's almost like reading a Donaldson book, where emotional crescendos are built up and then released at pleasing intervals. Rather than an intellectual complexity, these have a complexity that resonates with me emotionally. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Neil has finally come out of his atheist closet with the lyrics. I've always known Rush was an atheistic band, but I've had a hard time convincing Christian fans. So this album means more to me personally, philosophically, than any other Rush CD.

Or maybe I've just listened to the old albums so much that I'm giving the new music too much credit. This one might slip down on my list after a few years. But right now, it's absolutel
y the Rush I listen to the most. I just bought the MVI version of the CD with a 5.0 Dolby Digital surround sound mix (which sucks) and a beautiful 96kHz/24 bit hi-resolution stereo audio mix; so I'm listening to it all over again, this time with a more critical ear. The dense layers are easier to make out with this version (requires a DVD player).

So yeah, I loved every minute of the new songs in concert.

However, taking the new songs out of the mix, I think my favorite setlist was the Vapor Trails tour. After the 5 year hiatus, when we didn't even know they were going to continue, they exuded a newfound energy and life. I'll never forget that tour. Neil's comeback after losing his wife and his daughter within an 18 month span was downright heroic. The fact that he can still find beauty, love, and hope in a world that takes away his entire family is mind-boggling and inspiring.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I actually thought Entre Nous came across well. I agree though, that Mission was outstanding. Digital Man and Circumstances were big surprises as well, as was Bangkok. All very cool. I thought Neil's drum solo this time around was great too. I always love the way he actually treats it as a piece of music, as opposed to just bashing around the kit. Oh, and "Lil Rush" was hysterical.

I think I'd have a hard time saying the new CD is my favorite yet, but that may only be because it's still so new. I'd have to reasses after living with it for a while. But I do think it's great. Your point about the complexities is right on (love the SRD comparison). The older stuff was complex in a more linear fashion. More of the complexities were about song structure. This album, I agree, is more subtle, and there seems to be a lot more going on different layers in the music, rather than the multi-section stuff of the past. I noticed this kind of shift on Vapor Trails too. Lots of different rhythm guitars going on at the same time. Of course, it's kind of hard to hear it with the recording quality (too bad, cause Secret Touch was killer live!).

I've always known that the band was aethiestic also (or at least Neil; I haven't actually seen anything that the other guys have said, and I hesitate to make assumptions) and it surprises me that people miss that. I mean, I always thought Freewill was pretty clear, but hey, who am I? But there is nothing subtle about that theme on the new CD. I may not agree with Neil's sentiments in this regard, but I sure have a lot of respect for the way he expresses himself.

I agree with you about the VT tour as well. That just seemed like such an affirmation and celebration. Incredibly moving. Have you read Neil's "Ghost Rider"? One of the most touching works of non-fiction I've read.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I did read part of Ghost Rider. I checked it out of the library (okay Menolly, let me have it ... :) ) and didn't finish before the due date. I haven't checked it out since. And considering that I've given Rush $1000s, I just haven't bought it yet. But I did enjoy what I read. I think I got up to the part where he rode up to Alaska.

The South Park intro was hilarious. I forget about it because I've been spoiling myself with all the Youtube footage, so I'd seen it months in advance. My 6-yr-old loved it. "I am Geddy Lee, damnit. I'll sing whatever lyrics I want!"

I'm ashamed to say that I made a beer/bathroom run during Neil's solo. I've seen his solos so many times that they just don't move me like they used to. And they didn't play Roll the Bones this time, so I had to pick another song for a pee break. But I've seen it on Youtube. I know that he mixed it up a little bit this time. That's a nice change, because he's been playing the same damn solo since the 80s! :) (Well, almost.)

Secret Touch was amazing live. That's my favorite off Vapor Trails. I've actually written somewhere about how Vapor Trails is a concept album, with each song leading logically (or emotionally) through an entire narrative. Ignoring the upbeat "prelude" of One Little Victory, Secret Touch is where it turns around from melancholy loss to the first glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. I associate that song with Neil coming out of his dark years.

I hope I didn't step on your toes with praising their views on religion. I've got a big chip on my shoulder about it, and a lot of resentment due to how I was raised. So for me, my favorite band saying, "Hey, it's okay to be faithless--I am too," is like a great big metaphysical hug. I imagine it's similar to feelings people get in church, ironically.

Yep, Freewill is the obvious anti-religion song. Roll the Bones is more subtle, but it's right in there (if you can get past the rap). And then this album is like a sermon. Again, ironically. :)

"Though we might have precious little, it's still precious." I might have to make that my new signature.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Malik23 said:
And they didn't play Roll the Bones this time, so I had to pick another song for a pee break
8O Dude, what are you talking about!? Roll the Bones rocks! ;) I really like it, but I can totally see why someone wouldn't. You have to be in the right mood for a rap from a sunglasses wearing skeleton. 8)
I hope I didn't step on your toes with praising their views on religion
Nah, no worries. You didn't say anything even remotely bothersome. I mean, if I can admire Neil's eloquence without agreeing with him, it's surely not going to bug me if someone likes the way he says something and agrees with him. :)
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

News! More S&A tour dates in summer '08. Plus a new live CD due out in April. :biggrin: Rock on! 8)

rush.com/resources/php/viewStory.php?id=230
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Oooh, Orlando!
RUSH newly confirmed tour dates:

Apr. 11 - San Juan, PR - Coliseo de Puerto Rico