Pet Peeves

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

thefirst wrote:...and people who push in front of 70 year old women at the check out line, should be beaten with canes.
What about seventy year old women who push in? That seems to happen to me a lot. Not "Excuse me, do you mind if I just pop in front of you here?" but ignorantly just striding in front of the queue. Grrr.
Syl wrote:To a lesser degree, people who crack wise when I bust out the bigger or less common words (except Fist ;)), especially when they ask what I mean and say, 'Well, you should've said that the first time.'
Heh. Yeah, I get that too, from time to time. My response is usually either stoney silence or something to the effect of "You should have understood me the first time". In fact, not so long ago I had a mild argument with a friend when I said I was melancholy. She demanded to know why I didn't just say I was sad, and she didn't understand when I tried to explain that I wasn't sad, I was melancholy.

Yes, that's a pet hate of mine: treating words that have related meanings as though they're actually the same word.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

> Seeing the Watch's overall postcount go up by one, and not being able to find the new post because it was in a hidden forum. ;)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

A Gunslinger wrote:Guns:
Smokers throwing butts to the ground, out car windows, etc.
That one bothers me, too. I was especially peeved when a friend of mine threw her cigarette butt in my garden on the way out of my house. I thought it was so rude.
Murrin wrote:Posters on message boards who press enter when they get to
the edge of the text entry field instead of letting it wrap
automatically, thus making the post display with shorter
lines than the rest of the page--just as I have done, as an
example, in this post.
Wow, that seems like more trouble than it's worth. Why would someone actually bother to do that? :?
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Syl wrote:Same for when I answer the phone, 'This is he.'
The current habit seems to be to say, "This is" with no he, she, or it. ;) :roll:
Caller: "Hello, is Susie there?"
Person answering phone: "This is."
It always strikes me a little funny. This is what? Maybe this isn't. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

/Enters
/lurks
/saids something.

Sumpthang!!

/lurks some more.
/exits.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

:LOLS:

Was that lurk for my benefit, Ur Dead? ;)
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

my biggest pet peeve is when people forward emails to me that are clearly hoaxes. i used to send it back to them telling them it was a hoax, but it hurt their feelings.
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

KiGirl wrote:my biggest pet peeve is when people forward emails to me that are clearly hoaxes. i used to send it back to them telling them it was a hoax, but it hurt their feelings.
Yes, my mom sent me the one about the eye of god in the sky that only appears every guzillion years but it's simply the Helix Nebula (NGC 7293).
Prebe wrote:Hey bgb. It looks - from you selection of peeves - as if you need a serious talk about house rules with your contubernal ;)
Indeed, I had a good long talk with Moose this morning about the sponge issue.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Murrin wrote:> Seeing the Watch's overall postcount go up by one, and not being able to find the new post because it was in a hidden forum. ;)

Murrin -- you definately need to get out more. ;)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

KiGirl wrote:my biggest pet peeve is when people forward emails to me that are clearly hoaxes. i used to send it back to them telling them it was a hoax, but it hurt their feelings.
When I get emails like that, I always check them out on Snopes and then send the link back to the person who sent me the forward. No one has ever been offended by my doing that.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
thefirst
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thefirst »

CovenantJr wrote:What about seventy year old women who push in? That seems to happen to me a lot. Not "Excuse me, do you mind if I just pop in front of you here?" but ignorantly just striding in front of the queue. Grrr.
I suppose I could broaden that peeve, to include most forms of rudeness. But I have actually seen someone shove an 80 lb. woman, walking with a cane, who must have been old enough to be his grandmother, out of the way, so he could check out and presumably, start chugging that six pack of beer in his hand as though his life depended on it. I know making generalizations is a dangerous business in itself, but, I don't think that there is anyone who can't afford a few extra moments to show a simple courtesy. To quote my daughter "If you try to save your manners for later, you will forget you have them"
Has anyone seen my keys?
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Prebe wrote:Hey bgb. It looks - from you selection of peeves - as if you need a serious talk about house rules with your contubernal
BGB wrote:Indeed, I had a good long talk with Moose this morning about the sponge issue.
*Utters a resounding "Heh!"* :biggrin:
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:
sgt.null wrote:people who say they will listen to any type of music. no you will not. just tell me some stuff you like and i will take it from there. you don't want to hear that noise stuff that i have. you do not want to the shut up kitty comp.
Sarge, just for clarification what does "
you do not want to the shut up kitty comp
" mean?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up_Kitty

industrial album of bands covering pop songs.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

CovenantJr wrote:
Infelice wrote:The spelling of the singular "woman".... a lot of people spell it as "women".

The bought/brought thing erks me too.
Or does it irk you? ;)
Nope, it makes me go "erk".... so it erks me :P
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

people who may a factual mistake and when you provide proof of the correct answer just dismiss you.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Back when I lived in WV (I know it's a stereotype and we're all supposed to avoid them, but *man*, this place was a gold mine for pet peeve provocations), I used to hear ads from furniture stores that were selling bedroom suits and living room suits. They're suites, folks. Clothing and cards come in suits; furniture comes in suites.

Oooooh, e-mail hoaxes! I've got a cousin who is famous for sending them to everybody in her bloody address book. I used to check them out on Snopes every time; then I sent her the link to Snopes so she could check 'em out herself (not that she ever does...). :roll: Same person continually sends me stupid jokes and every "I love you, forward this to everybody you know, and if you don't send it back to me, you're a poopyhead and a piano will fall on you" e-mail known to humankind. Oh, and the churchy-parable ones, too. I've asked her not to send me anything but stuff she's actually written herself, but she sends me all the junk anyhow. Arrgh.

dw: I'd never heard "I could give a lesser s*it" before! That's awesome, I'll have to start using it! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

have a nice day. you don't mean it and i don't want it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

thefirst wrote: To quote my daughter "If you try to save your manners for later, you will forget you have them"
I'm impressed! You are doing a fine job with your daughter! :biggrin:

My pet peeve, or at least the first one that comes to mind, is the word "irregardless." That word is meaningless, and in my experience is only used by people trying to impress others. :roll:

edited for spelling. . .
Last edited by Wyldewode on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

people who dismiss rap music without trying any of it. try some PM Dawn, De La Soul, Digable Planets. you may like it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

sgt.null wrote:people who may a factual mistake and when you provide proof of the correct answer just dismiss you.
I HATE it when people do that, it makes me want to give them the slap!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”