DVDs and YOU!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I picked up Supercop and Children of Men on BD, and Fawlty Towers on DVD. That last one is gonna get worn out real fast :D
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I watched Brazil last night, courtesy of my friends at Netflix (soon to be Quickster or some such). It was weird.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's Terry Gilliam - did you expect any less?
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha wrote:I watched Brazil last night, courtesy of my friends at Netflix (soon to be Quickster or some such). It was weird.
if by weird you mean awesome? - yes then. :D

Phish - Walnut Creek

Runaway jim
my soul
water in the sky
stash
bouncing around the room
vultures
bye bye foot
taste

down with disease
mike's song
simple
i am hydrogen
weekapaug groove
hello my baby

when the circus comes
harry hood
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Warning: X-men 1st Class is not worth the whatever mylarplastic crap DVDs are made out of--best part was Wolverine telling them to F- off, that's pretty much how I felt at that point and where I stopped watching... :P :mrgreen:
fall far and well Pilots!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Daryl Hall & John Oates

highlights include...

Family Man
She's Gone
Sara Smiles
Maneater
I Can't Go For That
Rich Girl
Kiss On My List
You Make My Dreams
Private Eyes
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I just joined the Disney Movie Club. Same thing as Columbia House, if anyone's tried that... buy a bunch of movies cheap at the start, get decent sales throughout your membership, agree to buy at least two movies at full price within a certain time frame.

A Bug's Life, The Incredibles, Toy Story, Cars and Pete's Dragon were my starting choices. I haven't seen the first two, the other three are favorites of mine.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Never Cry Wolf. Two hours of absorbing drama... and only four actors!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

THE WAY is a powerful and inspirational story about family, friends and the challenges we face while navigating this ever-changing and complicated world. Martin Sheen plays Tom, an irascible American doctor who comes to France to deal with the tragic loss of his son (played by Emilio Estevez). Rather than return home, Tom decides to embark on the historical pilgrimage "The Way of St. James" to honor his son's desire to finish the journey. What Tom doesn't plan on is the profound impact this trip will have on him. Through unexpected and oftentimes amusing experiences along "The Way," Tom discovers the difference between "the life we live and the life we choose.”

a great film.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bought today: Memories of Murder, by Bong Joon-ho (director of The Host and Mother), and a double-feature box set of A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters, directed by Kim Ji-woon (The Quiet Family).

I also wanted to get Kim's The Good, The Bad, The Weird, but it was £20 in the only store I found it.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

sgt.null wrote:THE WAY is a powerful and inspirational story about family, friends and the challenges we face while navigating this ever-changing and complicated world. Martin Sheen plays Tom, an irascible American doctor who comes to France to deal with the tragic loss of his son (played by Emilio Estevez). Rather than return home, Tom decides to embark on the historical pilgrimage "The Way of St. James" to honor his son's desire to finish the journey. What Tom doesn't plan on is the profound impact this trip will have on him. Through unexpected and oftentimes amusing experiences along "The Way," Tom discovers the difference between "the life we live and the life we choose.”

a great film.
I saw this on netflix instant the other day. very good indie film. Estevez directed it as well as acted in it. If you liked this one check out The Secret Life of Words. One of my favorite films.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

lorin - will search for Words. ty.

rigel - the Incredibles is, incredible.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Saw Atonement, since I'm trying to get a grasp on this Joe Wright guy before I decide whether or not I'm going to see Anna Karenina later on this year. Later, I'll watch his Pride and Prejudice. Haven't read any of the books (with the exception of Tolstoy) so I'm not going to know how he does at adapting a novel.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Watched "This is where I leave you". My expectations were low but I found the movie funny and engaging although a bit sappy in some areas. The end of the movie had me rolling.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Freud (1962)

Dir: John Houston
Montgomery Clift
Susannah York

I guess I took this one home with me because these types of oldies are quite rare to see on the shelf these days. I don't watch telly although I do sometimes miss those afternoon black and white matinees. (Crackle and pop soundtracks can be so drowsy and hypnotic)

The movie is a bit of a biopic on a few early years in the career of Sigmund Freud, played by Montgomery Clift.
After the credits have rolled, John Houston voices an introspection on the civilization of mankind. Pointing out the three key enlightening moments of human history: Copernicus, Darwin, and Freud.
And while this is happening there is a very interesting piece of music.

This piece of music has also been used in the Ridley Scott movie, Alien - the part where Ash, the ship's medical officer has tried to remove one of the fingers attached to the face of Kane. Acid-blood spills to the floor and begins eating it's way through the ship towards the outer hull. As the other crew members follow the trail of blood down through the levels of the ship the same music from the Freud film is accompanying this.

If like me these things have interest to you then you'll understand my excitement in now being able to watch the Alien film once again, only this time with the added musical link. Scott, as with Houston, are those directors who can put a lot of thought into the smallest of details so as to make their movies and their stories watchable, time and time again.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Julie just bought me Guardians of the Galaxy!!!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Omen - Pentology. (6 disc binge)

and

Casablanca, shelved for a rainy day.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

I tried watching Casablanca. Whoa! This movie is so packed with what are now cliché I had to hit the stop button. Ingrid Bergman actually said the line - "is that cannon fire, or my heart pounding?". Much too much!
But having said that, this film is technically beautiful beyond description. A cinematographer's masterpiece.

Watched Thelma & Louise. I've seen it before, more than ten years ago, so nothing new really - just a great outdoors road movie.
I did promise myself that I wouldn't think about what had happened to Louise back in Texas. And I'd almost made it, but damn! What did happen?
I still don't know. Grrrrrrrrrrr
One of those movie questions that continually bug me, like in Silence of the Lambs, how did Hannibal Lector get his mitts on Dr.Chilton's ballpoint ? Ahhhhhhhhhhh the curse of the curious.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Chilton accidentally left his pen in Dr. Lecter's cell after having a little talk with him. This wasn't a convenience contrived for the movie because it happened in the novel version, as well.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Chilton accidentally left his pen in Dr. Lecter's cell after having a little talk with him. This wasn't a convenience contrived for the movie because it happened in the novel version, as well.

I hadn't read the novel.

Jack Crawford had warned Clarice, "... you don't want Lector getting inside your head". I thought maybe Lector had gotten something on Barney and then used him when the time was ripe.

Return to “Flicks”