Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Lost In Translation was brilliant.

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Cagliostro wrote:
Lazy Luke wrote:I think its a comedy, really, and only Kubrick is laughing.
Apparently Wilson got the joke, but I was too bored to get it. Although I think I did wake up for the sexy food scene.
Now that's odd because I never saw any sexy food scene, I must have slept through that bit - as I did doze on and off throughout the second half.

Had a Kubrick weekend, watching the second half of Barry Lyndon. Which I thought was more of a tragedy than a comedy.
When Stephen Speilberg told Kubrik he didn't like The Shining because he thought Jack Nicholson was overacting, Kubrick said that Nicholson's performance was done in the style of Jimmy Cagney. This changed the way Speilberg thought about the film.
In turn, this had me thinking that Ryan O'Neal had played Barry Lyndon in the style of Buster Keaton - deadpan.

Watched The Shining. Still is one hell of a scary movie.

2001: A Space Odyssey.
Viewing this film not as a sci fi movie,
it occured to me that the mystical doorway, or transdimentional portal the obelisk, may not be so far fetched when viewed as a futuristic film instead. At least, if put in comparison to S.R.Donaldson's conceptual framework in the Last Chronicles, then this certainly poses a highly challanging set of belief systems.
Time travel.
To become young again without having to travel back into the past, but rather into the future. After all, isn't that where we all are!
Not that I believe it possible to achieve a complete state of childhood or even infancy, as the character Dave Bowman had when he journeyed through the alpha/omega door, just that it would not be possible for me.

Post by Avatar »

Never made it all the way through 2001. :lol:

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Avatar wrote:Never made it all the way through 2001. :lol:

--A
Very funny, I'm sure. But this also is the point. Not enough mature membership on Kevinswatch that such things are debatable.

Post by Avatar »

Well, if it's any consolation, I didn't enjoy the book much either. (And let's not even talk about the sequels.)

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Avatar wrote:(And let's not even talk about the sequels.)
Well, I actually like Peter Hyams films. Watched Narrow Margin only last week.

And if it's any consolation, I was thinking more along the lines of say, Donnie Darko, where a kind of Einstien/Rosen bridge is projected out from the chest - a sort of pathway into the future, so to speak. My guess it's probably in the blood. Some molecular reaction causing red blood cells to turn bright red, and then to pink. The regenerative chemical.
The human body is truly amazing and can achieve far more than medical science has yet to know.

As the opportunity presents itself:
several years ago I had a severe attack of psoriasis. I mean scalp to soles of the feet, itching disease.
Personally, I thought it was self induced. Overworking the heart chakra causing a drastic imbalance in T-cell activity. The doctor just shrugged at this and wrote out a prescription for some really dire medicine. Lucky for me, and before I was to take the medicine, just like a fever it broke and I got well. Within a week my skin was near perfect; like being a kid again. It didn't last long, a month or two before blemishes began to appear.
It was as if my body had filtered out some real nasty shit - dirt I thankfully won't be taking to the grave.

This week I watched, Whiplash. It was ok, definately watchable, but felt forced and exaggerated.
By an odd quirk of coincedence I was talking to a new employee this week and she tells me she used to play the drums. When I mention Whiplash her face lit up. It happens to be one of her favourite films. And when I say it felt overemphisized she tells me that although she would agree and that her drum teacher wasn't the extreme tyrant as in the movie, he did however push her to access, so much in fact it was the reason she quit playing drums. I asked if she too played so hard her hands hands blistered and bled, and true to the film she too had had her blood spattered over the skins.
Anyway, she's very young and I feel sure one day she'll pick up her sticks again.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The Company of Wolves is a gothic horror retelling of 'Little Red Riding Hood', and one of those rare films that only works best because of its low budget.
The forest, for example, built from twigs and bonsai trees and a painted backdrop of a far away mountain, all fits well together as the dream of a young girl might be.
Like the cursed transforming into Wolves when the moon is full, do so by animatronics rather than CGI. Which also works better, because in this film it's the story commanding attention, not the visuals. This can be attributed to the storytelling high priestess, Angela Carter - and the clever and cunning film making of Neil Jordan.

Interestingly, a prop used in the film is a magazine called 'My Weekly', with a story on the cover titled, 'The Shattered Dream'. Rosaleen, the main character, had been reading the magazine before she fell asleep. Interesting because of where I grew up published those women's magazines. However that may be, there was nothing I could find that might suggest a more concrete link to that far away place, where I had lived - once upon a time.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The Saragossa Manuscript is a b&w Polish film that deals with ghostly supernatural elements.
Set in a surrealist Spain during the Napoleonic wars it is based on a very old book: Wikipedia.
At 3hrs running time I need to see this one in instalments.

For anyone who hasn't seen the film and interested in Jerry Garcia, follow the link above.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Been enjoying the Polish/French films of Krzysztof Kieślowski, Three Colours: Red and Veronique,
both starring Irene Jacobs (a very modern Ingrid Bergman-like French actress).

The music soundtrack for Veronique is out of this world.
So impressed, I sampled a snippet of street noise to use as a closing beat for the song I'm currently working on.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Skyweir wrote:Watched TAG last night .. what a fun romp that was 😂😂😂 moreso that it was based on a group of guys that actually played tag every year in May or some such.
Tag is a great fun movie.
I really like it.

:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Lazy Luke wrote:Been enjoying the Polish/French films of Krzysztof Kieślowski, Three Colours: Red and Veronique,
both starring Irene Jacobs (a very modern Ingrid Bergman-like French actress).
I found Red the hardest to love of the Three Colours. I don't think I've seen any other of his films. My ex had the soundtrack to Blue and frequently played it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I've seen them all, but can't remember some of them that well. Blue is probably the most memorable one for me, although I enjoyed one of the others more - maybe White? Can't remember now - might have to re-watch them one of these days. I've always been a fan of Juliette Binoche.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Sicario II: Day of the Soldado,

Italian filmmaker Stefano Sollima made this badass follow up to Denis Villeneuve's badass Sicario, and surprisingly the two films fit together seamlessly. Partly due to the soundtrack of Hildur Gudnadottir; dedicated to the memory of Johann Johannsson (Sicario), who died earlier this year.
Happened to watch Suburra a few weeks ago. A film also made by Stefano Sollima. It was because of the soundtrack from the band M83 that attracted me to that film. What goes around comes around!
Because of the music interest - Hildur Gudnadottir and Johannsson collaborated on the 2018 film Mary Magdalene, starring Rooney Mara - definately the film to see.

Next up, The Life and Adventures of Nickolas Nickleby, the 1947 Ealing Studios rendition of the classic Dickens nightmare.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Alita: Battle Angel, is amazing.
At least the first half is. Too much fast action tends to lose interest for me, so I've yet to watch this one to the end.

Junkie XL does the movie soundtrack, a familiar artist from BT tunes I like, so this can also be listened to just like a radio show rather than trying to grapple with the visual overload.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Ad Astra: with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones. Well worth watching, though highly derivative. I spotted lots of ideas and similarities taken from other films such as, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Interstellar, Gravity, Event Horizon, Apocalype Now, John Carpenter's: The Thing, etc...

This film has a story strictly on a need to know basis, or, just enjoy the journey and the adventure in outer space. Either way it's a terrific film.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

I have been looking fir new films to get my hands on, either by buying dvd's and blu-ray's on eBay or by getting them on my pc by some what more nefarious methods.

Going to take me a while trawling through all the early VHS/dvd poste from the early noughties to the dvd/blu-ray of recent posts.
Thank you all. :Hail:

And permanence in motion
Participants in the power that remains."
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

StevieG wrote:I've seen them all, but can't remember some of them that well. Blue is probably the most memorable one for me, although I enjoyed one of the others more - maybe White? Can't remember now - might have to re-watch them one of these days. I've always been a fan of Juliette Binoche.
Picked up Blue and White today at my local Oxfam bookshop. It has a good World Cinema section and knew they would surface sooner or later.

Juliette Binoche is pretty good in the sci-fi movie, High Life. There's a scene where she is in the ship's Orgasmatron which starts off quite erotic then quickly turns into something very cold and colourless, somewhat like the opening titles from the David Fincher version of, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Brave girl.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I've been going through an old box of crappy scifi movies to find some foley effects I can sample. Mainly rocket engine sounds and intercom chatter. Usually good foley sounds get overlayed with the music score and are made unsuitable.

Saturn 3, (with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett) is a treasure trove of computer noises. In fact they sound dead easy to make using the default setting on VSTi plugin synths.
For rocket engines, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun - an awful Jerry Anderson film with live action mixed with Thunderbirds toys. The music is minimal so there's lots of whistling jet booster sounds and roaring vacuum cleaner type noises - can be filtered creatively.
Still looking for intercom chatter, so today I'll be watching Stranded (an Alien ripoff with Christian Slater), and Moon 44 (where iirc a drug dealer keeps his stuff hidden in a ghetto blaster).
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Europa Report - a Spanish made scifi film about a mission to Jupiter's moon.
I've been wanting to see this movie for a while but the only outlet I could find has been Amazon. And although dispatched today it won't arrive until 1- 10th June.
I dunno! This could be the last time I order from Amazon - 4wks is quite a stretch.

Also, I hit the panic button when I saw the picture on the dispatch tracking page, thinking they'd sent the wrong movie.
It was probably used as a cinema poster.

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Lazy Luke wrote:It was probably used as a cinema poster.
No, just the Spanish version. Which meant switching the language to English in the options menu.

It was the same with Klute, when completing the Alan J. Pakula's paranoia trilogy, buying from Amazon sometimes means getting Region 2 movies from shops that might be in places like Spain.
Though not so lucky this evening with Pitof's Vidocq, as it happens to be a French/German DVD with no English options whatsoever. And I've been wanting to watch this film for a long time, ever since seeing Pitof's Catwoman - dagnabbit!!!

So, Europa One arrived over the weekend but I hit the eject button fairly early into the film. It was made like a Discovery Channel documentary with lots of security camera views of the actors inside their spaceship. I'll get back to it at some later date.

The main reason for not watching Europa One was because of the film Prospect, which I'd watched first as part of a double feature. And because this one totally blew me away any other was simply flat by comparison.
Usually low budget Indie films suffer through trying to exceed their limitations. But Prospect seemed to work because of it's limits. The spacecraft drop ships for example were no more than rust buckets, and the characters looked just like actors in deepsea diver suits clambering through a Louisiana swamp-forest. But the story (and props) were so good it was easy to forego the hokey sci fi effects and just roll with it.
A definite, 5/5 stars.

Return to “Flicks”