DVDs and YOU!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I love The Blues Brothers. :D

The Martian was pretty boring to be honest.

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

HEARTS IN ATLANTIS - is a terrific film and surprising to see it only recieved 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. Loosely based on a Stephen King novella it was criticized as being a "mood piece". I thought it contained many moods, with echoes of Dolores Claiborne and the Green Mile to name but two.
I was amused by the acting of the young Anton Yelchin - I kept thinking he looked so familiar, and I'd seen him in something before, but couldn't place it - then finding out he now plays Chekov in the Star Trek reboot films.
The DVD has a half-hour interview with Anthony Hopkins by the director of the film, Scott Hicks. Worth the price of the Disc in itself. And I also have the Hicks audio commentary to look forward to later on.

While checking the spelling of Chekov, saw this - Bugger - RIP Anton
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Funny you should mention Anton Yelchin. He died in a freak accident involving his own car over the weekend. :cry:

Av, The Blues Brothers is an awesome movie. I need to check on whether I own a copy. I don't have a ton of DVDs, but that one ought to be in the collection.

Over the weekend, I watched "Wishful Drinking," Carrie Fisher's one-woman autobiographical show. (HBO released it under their "documentaries" label, which I think is stretching it. :lol: ) Some very funny lines. "If Paul Simon ever wants to write a song about you -- DO IT!" :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

aliantha wrote:Funny you should mention Anton Yelchin. He died in a freak accident involving his own car over the weekend. :cry:
Funny! Yeah absolutely. In the DVD interview with Anthony Hopkins, on playing his character Ted Brautigan, he spoke about his familiarity with psychic phenomena and synchronicity. He even said that while filming Hannibal he told someone he had always wanted to do a Stephen King story. Then later told someone else if given the choice his next project would involve Scott Hicks. Amazingly, when his agent called with the script for Hearts in Atlantis he said yes even without reading, he would do it.
I'd never heard of the film before or the Stephen King novella, just synchronicity is all.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Carrie (2013), starring Julianne Moore and Chloe Grace Mortez.
It was OK. Some variation on Brian De Palma's 1976 film, but not a great deal. What did make this movie watchable was the young Ms Chloe. For me it's her voice; unbelievably sweet. I could listen to her for hours. And yet for a rising star of amazing talent she seems to be making lots of failed movies. But then as long as she has lots of lines to speak I'll be checking them out (:

Gattaca, starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law, is a surprisingly a terrific Sci-Fi movie. Relatively low budget, and very few locations in which this shoestring plot and story is acted out. But well worth seeing a man's dogged determination against all the odds.

Timothy Spall, as Mr. Turner. Quite boring really, if it weren't for some extraordinary shots from Mike Leigh. J M W Turner isn't the most comfortable of characters to engage with, as genius often is. But this is history and positively one for the DVD collection.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Just finished watching Blue Jasmine, starring Kate Blanchett.
I never believed it possible for an actress, any actress, to give such a protracted and hypnotic performance.

Also enjoyed seeing Sally Hawkins in action. What a sweetie!
Must check out, Happy-Go-Lucky, and, The Shape of Water, two of her other highly acclaimed films.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Kate Blanchett is an awesome actress and quite mesmerising on screen .. at least I find her so.

Im not familiar with Sally Hawkins .. did you see her in a movie or on an interview.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Sally Hawkins plays (Ginger) a grocery store gal and Cate Blanchett's (Jeanette/Jasmine) sister, the Park Avenue debutante.

Their acting/repartee is breath-taking.

Later tonight, will watch the Japanese film Casshern.
Said to be -
"Better than both Matrix sequels put together. A truly stunning sci-fi masterpiece" News of the World
Last edited by Lazy Luke on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wow that sounds like it might be awesome .. do tell us if you think it worth a view after youve seen it lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Oh I will definitely get Blue Jasmine .. sounds good :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Skyweir wrote:Wow that sounds like it might be awesome .. do tell us if you think it worth a view after youve seen it lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
If you like anime, WATCH IT. :lol:
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Will do ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Escape from New York special edition
Predetor 2
Hedwig and the angry inch
Harvey Birdman attorney at law Volume one
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Lazy Luke wrote:Escape from New York special edition
Predetor 2
Harvey Birdman attorney at law Volume one
Escape from New York
Forgot just how good this John Carpenter movie is.
Lots of extras for afters on this special edition disc.

Predetor 2
Danny Glover as a maniac super cop - really enjoyed this sequel effort.

Was really enjoying the trash-rock Berliner razz. But knowing it was a gay transexual romp I watched this film only if there wasn't any sex scenes.
It only took 5 minutes until they were at it, and ... presto eject disc!

Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
Shaggy and Scooby getting busted for possesion of weed gave a new meaning to zoinks and scooby snacks.
Daft and silly surrealist cartoons, with a few laughs thrown in ... meh
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

RED (2010) - Very watchable DC comics movie.
Bruce Willis plays the RED, (Retired, Extremely Dangerous) ex-CIA. Featuring a very old Ernest Borgnine as Henry the records keeper.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Loved RED btw .. well tbh anything Bruce Willis ;)

... but I utterly loathed Predator 2 .. and sooo 80s

Predator 3 was much better haha

Not sure Ive seen Escape from New York or Harvey Birdman but sounds like it would be a hoot .. it is now on my to watch list ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Solo
Enjoyed watching this more than seeing it in the cinema.
It would be nice if movies were kept under two hours for theatres and extended for DVD. I was able to pause the film to get some tea and one quarter portion of cake, something even Han and Chewie couldn't do they were having too much adventure.

Red Planet
With Val Kilmer and Tom Sizemore, the unlikly astronauts, has been on my favourite list. Not a great movie but does have a really terrific soundtrack.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I finally sat down and watched Your Name on Friday, it was excellent.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The Ramones, End of the Century.
Never knew much about them apart from their influence on Punk Rock.
As is, they are truly inspirational.

The DVD comes with two lapel badges 8) pretty neat!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Lazy Luke wrote:Hedwig and the angry inch
Was really enjoying the trash-rock Berliner razz. But knowing it was a gay transexual romp I watched this film only if there wasn't any sex scenes.
It only took 5 minutes until they were at it, and ... presto eject disc!
Then you missed out. It's one of my favorite movies and soundtracks. I liked it so much it made me question my sexual preference for a few seconds. :)

I don't remember anything in the first five minutes, but there is a handjob scene that I guess I found more shocking, but it is no more than splashing water in a bathtub. Other than that, there is some really fantastic music and some very funny jokes.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Lazy Luke wrote:Just finished watching Blue Jasmine, starring Kate Blanchett.
I never believed it possible for an actress, any actress, to give such a protracted and hypnotic performance.
i watched this movie once. once was all i could take.
it's the first time in a VERY long time that i watched a woody allen movie and it will probably be the last time. i have never been a big woody allen fan and his...personal life, what has been reported regarding his personal life, yeah i just can't deal with that happy crappy...but i had to see this one because...well...Cate. (it's Cate with a C, by the way Luke. ;) )
I simply could NOT stop watching. I WANTED to stop because it was brutally painful to watch, but I couldn't turn away!

anyway...protracted is exactly the right word. I got a friend of mine to watch this movie because she was not a Cate fan at all. I told her...you GOTTA see this. you will not believe her in this film!!
my friend is now a HUGE Cate fan. :D

so...here's a couple of my favorite dvds.

documentary: for those of you who are jazz fans, a documentary about Frank Morgan, one of the greatest alto sax men of all time (in my humble opinion.) Frank's playing will make you weep, as will his story. I first became aware of Frank through reading Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books. Connelly wrote and I believe executive produced this film so it's great storytelling and a great soundtrack as well.
The Sound of Redemption:The Frank Morgan Story

science fiction/adventure: again, i'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but this is far and away my FAVorite Cruise film. Creator turned me on to it. :D
i have probably watched this film at LEAST 20 times, if not more. not kidding! lol!!! (it's also one of Bill Paxton's last films and i LOVE him in it!)
and then there is Emily Blunt. it was my introduction to Emily. i love love love her!! (i haven't seen the new mary poppins yet but there's no doubt in my mind she's the best actress to have taken up the mary mantle!!)
Edge of Tomorrow
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at