Memories of Ice [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Spiral Jacobs wrote:Everytime I read one of your posts about these books I feel as if I missed 90% of their content.
agreed!! :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just can't help it--if I read something twice (well, certain kinds of books), it's stuck in my head for good. :D
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Ok, I remembered a couple of questions that I had:

1. What the heck happened to Buke? Did he just fly off after he became Soletaken? I was surprised that he didn't make an appearance at the end of the book. (Or did he, and did I miss it?)

2. What was up with the two marines that were guarding the Mhybe and Silver'sail? At one point in the book, I thought they were just Picker and Blend. I was really confused by the scene when Kruppe brought them the cakes. I could've sworn it was P&B, until I remembered that they were with Paran and the Bridgeburners. Anyway, the two anonymous marines were clearly significant, and I don't believe for a second that they're really dead. Were they gods or something? Do they come back in a future book?

Thanks, and don't be afraid to hit me with spoilers.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Buke just flew off, yeah.
The marines were just two marines that Silverfox had asked to keep an eye on the Mhybe; she was afraid to visit herself because of the guilt she felt for the Mhybe's condition, so she had them watching over her instead. They took the position and kept with it out of loyalty to Tattersail.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:I think that it had the best dialogue I've ever read in any book. I just loved it when I'd flip the page, and could tell from scanning all of the paragraph breaks that the next couple of pages (or more) were just going to be dialogue. Erikson comes up with better conversations than anyone I've ever read.
I forgot to comment on this. Absolutely agree! Not just informative, but witty as all get out!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

I just finished this book yesterday.

I loved every page of it! So far , for me anyway, it's the strongest book of the series.

It's been a while since a book was able to dig it's claws in me deep, but this one did it big-time!

At the end I didn't know whether to cry or smile or what. Just total awsomeness from beginning to end!
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

YES!! As amazing as DG and HoC are, and I guess I'm a bit unusual in liking GotM as much as I do (even more in retrospect than on first reading) - MoI is my favorite of the first four. Simply stunning, cover to cover!! :D :D :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

Fist and Faith wrote:YES!! As amazing as DG and HoC are, and I guess I'm a bit unusual in liking GotM as much as I do (even more in retrospect than on first reading) - MoI is my favorite of the first four. Simply stunning, cover to cover!! :D :D :D

I really, really liked GotM. I could read about the Phoenix Inn regulars in their own series. Kruppe is just a great character, and the friendships with Murillio and Rallick and Crokus and Coll...

A bit off topic but I really enjoy reading when a writer is able to create a close knit circle of friends that care deeply for each other...not just the normal human/elf/giant adventure combo a la' fluff...but more like King's Ka-Tet and The Bridgeburners...

MoI is going to stay with me a long time, just a great read. SRD was right, Erikson is almost able to alter your perception of reality...can't say enough about MoI.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Question about siege/battle of coral.
Spoiler
Alright, so here's the thing. The Pannion Seer's advance has been stopped. The Tenesowri, who are probably most/all of the innocent'ish people left on his side of the war, have been defeated and such. It's been stated already that the Seer's lands have had their infrastructure destroyed and are not going to be yielding food and stuff to feed the seer's army. There aren't any cities under siege that need rescuing.

So why do the allies decide to charge at the fastest possible pace at Coral, divide themselves up for the seer? Why didn't they wait 2 weeks and let the army devour itself?
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

So I just got the book and something is distracting me badly... ' is being used in place of " for dialogue. Is it the same in all copies? Is it supposed to be like that? I know it's a minor thing, but it's buggin me...

(I didn't read through this thread to see if anyone brougth this up, for fear of spoilers...)
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

So you're saying that he's using apostrophe's instead of quotation marks? I never noticed that myself. At least he doesn't use question marks instead of commas. That would be really annoying.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It shouldn't be so distracting, but it is... ahh well. You're right, it could be worse. :)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I wouldn't have thought that was so uncommon that it would stand out. A lot of books use single quotation marks instead of double. Just depends on the house style of the publisher.
Though it may be more common in books published in Britain--is it the UK or US edition you're reading?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yup, that's the difference. UK style is to use ' for quotes and " for quotes inside quotes. That's opposite of US style.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I think I have the UK verison... in the American cover. I've come across a few words that don't seem right, like centre and for ever (with a space?) and no-one (with a dash?!) plus there was one other word that was spelled funny, but I don't remember what it was.

But it has american pricing on the cover! It's weird...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You're a complex woman, Waddley Hasselhoff!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Fist and Faith wrote:You're a complex woman, Waddley Hasselhoff!
That's a filthy lie, and you know it!!
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Oops :oops:
Last edited by Waddley on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You're a repetetive woman, Waddley Hasselhoff!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Wadds wrote:...something is distracting me badly...
Something's been distracting me badly as well...I'm pretty sure it's your avatar! :biggrin:
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”