No
63%

Total votes: 24

Cail
Lord

Un-b-effin'-lievable!

Post by Cail »

www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/26/yates.trial.ap/index.html
Andrea Yates was found not guilty by reason of insanity Wednesday in the bathtub drownings of her young children.

The 42-year-old will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released.
What utter bullshit. This psycho bitch murdered her kids in cold blood and admitted it, yet she's found not guilty. I have utterly lost faith in humanity.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

But she is mentally ill, she could be harm to others and also herself. She is better there where she can be watched and kept away from people.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Queeaqueg wrote:...she could be harm to others and also herself...
I've got a solution to that. It's called the death penalty.

I agree with you Cail. This is utterly rediculous.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

She should be in prison for life (or dead) for murdering her five children, not sent to a hospital that she is eligible for release from in 30 days.

And she was found not guilty! She admitted it, she is guilty, regardless of her mental state (and she was sane enough to wait 'till the house was empty to do it).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Because she put some thought into it and planned it doesn't mean she is not insane. Insane people put a lot of planning into things. Putting her in prison means she could harm others because of her state of mind, we don't want more people hurt.
In her mind, she was doing the right thing. She probably wants to die, keeping her alive might make her miserable which is what I want. For her to suffer for what she did.
Personally, I don't think she is mentally ill and she knew what she was doing.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I would think the not guilty part seems most definitely wrong, but I can't comment on the insanity portion of the ruling due to ignorance. However, I abhor the death penalty in all instances.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

She murdered her own five children.

I don't know how much more insane someone can be.

I think the verdict was correct, and I don't think she's going to get out in thirty days or even thirty years.

And I bet you that anyone else whose dealt with post-partem (sp?) depression, in some degree (as I have) will tell you that it's real, and that they could envision it being this extreme.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

ITA with Wayfriend.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

IATAWWAM.....let's also not forget to put some burden on the prosecution for failing to charge her appropriate to their desired verdict...from what I've seen the jury was only given 2 choices, and the prosecution failed to prove their case to the letter of the law, so thay had to choose the defense....seems simple enough, given our justice system...
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I gotta go with W and M here. No sane mother would kill her kids. I am more pissy about the husband who kept her in that homeschooling situation alone, suffering post-partum depression without help. He KNEW she was unstable. Heck, I am stable and have only 3 kids, but homeschooling all of them at once might drive ME to a loony bin! I told them once they each reach 7th grade we will homeschool.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Of course it's the husband's fault she killed the kids, what with him being a licensed psychologist and all.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

:drevil: maybe he killed the kids? subtle psycho-manipulation of his vulnerable wife? :o
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Love how it comes back to the husband. Good to see we're standing up for women's equality here. This was an adult who was capable of making adult decisions. She cooly and methodically drowned her five children. She deserves prison for life if not the death penalty.

Hey Wayfriend, wanna make a friendly wager? Lorena Bobbit was found not guilty by reason of insanity too. Had she been found guilty she would have gotten 21 years, as it was she walked out of the hospital a free woman in 45 days. Yates'll be free within 5 years, probably less.

On another rant, this happened in Texas. How much would anyone like to wager that if the same crime had been committed by Mr. Yates he'd be riding the lightning?
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

I know very little about the case but if the article posted is accurate it seems rather open and shut.
Prosecutors had maintained that Yates failed to meet the state's definition of insanity: that a severe mental illness prevents someone who is committing a crime from knowing that it is wrong.
However,
including half a dozen psychiatrists who testified that Yates was so psychotic that she didn't know her actions were wrong. They said that in her delusional mind, she thought killing the youngsters was right.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's the problem with "experts". For every one you show me who agrees with you, I'll show you five that agree with me.

It's especially tricky with a field as nebulous as psychiatry.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

reverse that maybe Cail...it's the problem the prosecution had, they were outnumbered....
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cail wrote:That's the problem with "experts". For every one you show me who agrees with you, I'll show you five that agree with me.

... which is why we should execute them? (!!!)
Cail wrote:How much would anyone like to wager that if the same crime had been committed by Mr. Yates he'd be riding the lightning?
I'd be an idiot to take that wager - Mr Yates can't claim to have postpartum depression.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Wayfriend wrote:
Cail wrote:That's the problem with "experts". For every one you show me who agrees with you, I'll show you five that agree with me.

... which is why we should execute them? (!!!)
Who? The experts? That's a little harsh, dontcha think?

If you mean however, Yates, then no. She should be executed because she murdered 5 innocent infants/toddlers, not for any other reason.

(I apologize if your question was directed at Cail and I jumped in unwanted.)
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Precicely WH.

And Wayfriend, that's exactly my point. Women can claim post-partum and get away with murder (5 counts this time, how many did Susan Smith snuff?), but a man could have all sorts of issues and he'd not only be convicted in a heartbeat, groups like NOW would be vocal as hell during the trial.

But hey, this is just another way of making women non-responsible. I think it's reprehensible.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

how many don't "get away" with it Cail?

Return to “Coercri”