Pink Floyd!!

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Yes I Have Ghosts - plays acoustic. His daughter Romany on harp and vocals. Lyrics by Polly. Inspired by Polly's book about Leonard Cohen, it sounds like one of his songs. It's a beautiful, mature piece of work. The lyrics are haunting, especially as I get older. The music is umderstated and perfect for that. I want to hear more songs from Dave and Romany.

Null Rating - 10 out of 10.

"The heat of the sun stayed on through the night
Made spectres of strangers playing games with my sight
I passed through the station, a face in the crowd
The whistle was blowing, the barrier came down

There was my baby, in another's embrace
I called out her name in shame and disgrace

Yes, I have ghosts, not all of them dead
Making dust of my dreams, spinning round and around
Around in my head

Train on the tracks, teeth of the zip
The slider moves down, we were joined at the hip
Stealing the groove, the widening gap
Unfastening rails from a past with no map

Yes, I have ghosts, a fleeting sight
It's always the living that are haunting my nights

Where is the sweet soul that you used to be
Gone like a thistle that's blown on the breeze
I guess when it's over, this haunting will end
The waiting, the baiting, my killer, my friend

Yes, I have ghosts, not all of them dead
And they dance by the moon, millstones white as the sheet
On my bed"
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Music from the Body

Released: November 1970
StevieG rating: 4.1/10

Ok, it's time for the Roger Waters solo reviews. :D

This is a soundtrack album from the film / documentary The Body which I haven't seen. Narrated by Vanessa Redgrave! It was a collaboration between Ron Geesin and Roger Waters. Waters wrote or co-wrote 8 of the tracks. I'll review these 8 tracks, but not Geesin's work. There is a theme going on with at least 3 of the Waters tracks - they are pretty much the same tune with different lyrics. Sounds familiar. :D It sounds like most of the tracks are written as a soundtrack accompanying a film, so some of them don't make much sense on their own.

Our Song

Written by: Geesin, Waters
StevieG rating: 1/10

It's Waters and Geesin having some juvenile fun. 1 point for putting it together, but yeah, not memorable.

Sea Shell and Stone

Written by: Roger Waters
StevieG rating: 6/10

Sounds a bit like Grandchester Meadows. Pleasant, laid-back little ditty which fits the era. Even at this early stage, the lyrics are showing signs of poetic power.

Chain of Life

StevieG rating: 5/10

Another one that fits the Pink Floyd evolutionary period. It's a Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun style of track. It feels like the genesis of greater future work.

The Womb Bit

StevieG rating: 1/10

Has no particular value. Some guitar harmonics at the end are the only bits of vague interest.

Body Transport

StevieG rating: 0/10

Has no value whatsoever apart from being extremely irritating. If that's its purpose, it succeeds.

Breathe

StevieG rating: 7/10

Has the same tune as Sea Shell and Stone. Is this the beginning of his activism? :lol: It's a gentle song with some melancholy lyrics. I like it!

Sea Shell and Soft Stone

The same tune as Breathe but an instrumental version. It's a pleasant tune and repeats throughout the soundtrack.

Give Birth to a Smile

StevieG rating: 8/10

This is virtually a Pink Floyd song. The familiar guitar sounds of David Gilmour come in, and some great vocals. This song is simple and powerful. Rick Wright and Nick Mason are also involved. It's a great way to end this unusual soundtrack.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The Body - Roger Waters & Ron Geesin

Our Song - juvenile is correct. It's not a song. It's a waste of time.

Null Rating - 0 out of 10.

Sea Shell and Stone - very mellow and pretty. I really like the bass and acoustic guitar only. The melody line is quite lovely. Almost like Roger rocking us to sleep. The lyrics almost seem to be Roger cooing a baby to sleep.

Null Rating - 7 out of 10

Chain of Life - two acoustics. One bass. Again a kind of sing song sway to the vocals. Nice shift in the music part way through

Null Rating - 6 out of 10

The Womb Bit - again a non song.

Null Rating- o out of 10.

Body Transport - I couldnt finish. Not a song. I do not like Ron Geesin's work it seems.

Null Rating - o out of 10

Breathe - Roger of course would reuse the opening line for Breathe on DSotM. Musically, of course as lovely as Sea Shell. Also reminds me of If. Who would guess Roger would be the sensitive singer/songwriter?

Null Rating - 7 out of 10.

Sea Shell and Soft Stone - almost a waltz with the inclusion of strings.

Null Rating - 6 out of 10.

Give Birth to a Smile - the hidden Pink Floyd track. other than being too short. Perfect. I love the 70's feel to the recording itself. Very warm, not sterile like we would get in the 80's. Dave gives a smoking lead, if refrained. It is the female vocalists thst put it over the edge. Roger lets them shine. The lyrics put a smile on my face. I just love this song. It makes me happy.

Null Rating - 9 out of 10 (1 point for length)

Album Rating - 4.3 out of 10. Without the Geesin colabs - 7 out of 10.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That's true, without Geesin's input, it's a much better album.

Roger's stuff is true to the era. I like your comment about Roger being the sensitive singer/songwriter! He has always put everything into his work - a lot of it is frustrated and angry, most of it spills with emotion.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I read an interview where Roger said he tried to end each album on a positive note. Final Cut seems to proof against thst always working.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yeah, unless he saw the apocalypse as a positive result.... :D

However, most of his albums do end on a positive note (disclaimer, we're only just starting his solo reviews!)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I know Pros & Cons and Kaos end positively. Amused and the last one I'd have to look.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Released: April 1984
StevieG rating: 8.3/10

Roger Waters' first solo album (after The Body soundtrack) follows on musically from The Final Cut and The Wall.

This may be an album with some differing opinions!

This concept album is a little hard to follow initially, because it is based on a dream by the protagonist, so some of the descriptions have to be interpreted as such. It is also quite an uncomfortable album to listen to at times due to the sexual content.

As far as musicians go, Roger brings out some big names. Andy Newmark, who played drums on The Final Cut returns, and so does Michael Kamen who conducts the National Philharmonic Orchestra, and plays piano. The amazing vocalists Madeline Bell, Katie Kissoon and Doreen Chanter provide backing vocals throughout. Gerald Scarfe provided the illustrations, and there's even a cameo from Jack Palance as a Hell's Angel. But the biggest scoop for this album is one of the world's great guitarists Eric Clapton. It's an incredible pleasure to listen to his guitar work throughout the record.

Thematically, the album takes place in real time from 4:30:18 am to 5:12:32 am in the form of a fitful dream. Roger even allowed 5 seconds for the listener to turn the record over, and therefore play the next track at exactly the right time. Of course, this became a problem when it was released later on CD. There is a ticking clock that runs throughout the album, and lots of car sound effects. There is a recurring musical theme that also repeats throughout the recording.

4:30AM (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad)

Introduces the style of the album. There's an ominous nature to this opening track. Eric Clapton is already influencing the sound with his soulful lead.

4:33AM (Running Shoes)

Musically, this song is amazing. I love the echo on Roger's voice, the drumming is precise, the guitar is sublime. The backing vocals are brilliant. The sax is perfect. As a teenager, I would check that my parents weren't around when listening to this song, and now as a parent, I check that the kids aren't around when listening to this song. There are some sound effects that definitely make you a little uncomfortable. The problem with them is they overshadow a Clapton guitar solo.

This is where the dream makes things a little random. First, they're driving in the family car with two hitchhikers in the back seat. Then he's driving in the country in his green Lamborghini with the hot hitchhiker. Then there are arabs with knives at the foot of the bed... "Come on now kid, it was wrong what you did. You gotta admit it was wrong what you did."

4:37AM (Arabs with Knives and West German Skies)

The protagonist forces his dream to go back to the girl with the rucksack. The song has an amusing German-influenced section which I quite like. Then my favourite part is straight after this section where he says "Thank you, but - this young lady and I will just finish this bottle of wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!" Musically, this album is quite amazing. Then Eric steps in and delivers another smoking solo.

4:39AM (For the First Time Today, Part 2)

We have our first "Oh babe!" reminding me of The Wall. Eric Clapton shines again on this track. Roger likes his anguished cries! I like how she says "forget it" followed by a finality-sounding saxophone. Then it lead into...

4:41AM (Sexual Revolution)

StevieG rating: 10/10

This has one of the great guitar solos of all time in my opinion. :D Eric Clapton is unbelievable throughout the whole track, adding his bits after almost every phrase, but his solo after the "Nothing can grow without rain" part remains one of my favourite ever guitar solos. What a maestro. The song has an arrogant swagger to it, accompanied by musicians at the top of their game. Some of the lyrics are a bit much, but they are constructed with the skill of a poet.

4:47AM (The Remains of Our Love)

The man gets a second chance. Off they go to the country to try and start again. The piano and guitar really compliment each other throughout this album. This song is a great example. Although it's relatively short, the piano and guitar lift it along nicely.

4:50AM (Go Fishing)

This is a significant song in the context of the album. It describes the trip to the country that the man and his wife make, in the spring. There's a nice nod to The Fletcher Memorial Home at the start. It goes on to describe the growing apart, the man's dope smoking habit, and the wife falling for another man. The relationship disintegrates, described in epic detail by Waters. Musically, it's a triumph again. The drumming is precise. Eric Clapton is wondrous again (I know, but he just is!). The sax is well placed and effective. Backing vocals!

Then the leaves all fell down
The crops all turned brown
It was over
As the first snow flakes fell
I realised all was not well in the camp

She leaves, and he is alone. Roger describes it in vivid detail. It isn't hard to picture. And you have the kids saying "Bye bye daddy" at the end.

4:56AM (For the First Time Today, Part 1)

It's a heartfelt lament. It's over, and it hurts.

4:58AM (Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin)

Some smoking guitar in this one. The trucker picks up the lonely hitchhiker. He proceeds to spill his guts to the truckie. I love the guitar bits in it. Everything Clapton does turns to gold. The man is feeling sorry for himself. Sounds familiar! I love his description of the man who stole his wife's heart.

With his neat feet and his clean fingernails
With his wise but twinkling eyes
He's a rock standing out in an ocean of doubt
And compromise

Meanwhile, Eric's guitar becomes more and more emotional or angry. The musical theme continues...

5:01AM (The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Part 10)

The title track is a little different from the rest of the album, but it is almost a summing up of the situation. Contains some nasty words about Yoko Ono that was probably funny in the 80s, but doesn't sound so great now. Also contains another blistering solo from Eric Clapton. Also contains some cool references to Shane.

5:06AM (Every Stranger's Eyes)

This is what Roger does best. His descriptions of all the situations where he can recognise himself in every stranger's eyes, is something that he continues throughout his career. It started with Dark Side of the Moon, and continues to this day. The empathy that he exhibits is one of his greatest strengths as a songwriter.

Eric Clapton's sympathetic guitar complements this track so perfectly, I almost want to meet the guy. And then, Roger turns it slightly to:

I recognise the hope you kindle in your eyes

Followed by the most beautiful guitar / piano solo I have heard in many a year. The drums help the resolution of this moment of clarity.

5:11AM (The Moment of Clarity)

It's the perfect way to end this album. He's resolved his issues to a degree and realised that what he needs is right in front of him.

This caps off an album that can be hard to listen to from the content exhibited, but which people around the world can relate to, even if they don't want to. The ending of this album is definitely hopeful.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

4:30AM (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad) - the overture. The begining with Roger waking up does have that half awake / half asleep feel. The music does feel ominous and symphonic. And yes, Clapton establishes himself early.

Null Rating - 8 out of 10.

4:33AM (Running Shoes) [/b ] - Roger's voice is strong for the entire album. Going from a whisper to a scream, always fitting the song. His lyrics are amazing throughout. So vivid. On this song alone, "gunmetal magnets" "Fassbender face." That's David Sanborn playing the hell out of the sax. Roger incorporates that female singers well, giving us a nice counterpoint to his vocals. And i love the absurdity of the "Arabs with knives" line. This feels like a dream.

4:37AM (Arabs with Knives and West German Skies) - absurd yes. But also relatable in an odd way. I can feel the longing and regret. The wine line dissolving into guitsr is brilliant. I love the sudden shift into the German waltz. Clapton is brilliant throughout. No one does a concept album like Roger.

4:39AM (For the First Time Today, Part 2) - firstly and again, Roger's vocals are so emotive. Listening to that scream at 31 seconds in. Clapton's guitar is otherworldly. I love the bend he does on this song. Sanborn's sax is so emotive.

4:41AM (Sexual Revolution) - wow. I agree that Clapton is next level here. One of my favorite guitar solos on any song. I love Roger's use of "Hey Girl" to open the verses. It is properly menacing and ties the song together. Also brilliant is...

Hey girl
As I've always said
I prefer your lips red
Not what the good Lord made
But what he intended

And then from the sublime to the ridiculous Roger ends with a dog sandwich.

4:47AM (The Remains of Our Love) - this is the end of side one. A nice respite during the dream cycle. Madeline Bell, Katie Kissoon and Doreen Chanter are outstanding throughout. Lovely piano by longtime Floyd associate. We go from the nightmare of the dog to the dream of a family life.

4:50AM (Go Fishing) - starts as the perfect family in the country building to despair over the loss of that family. Sanborn again echoing the feel perfectly. The slide guitar gives it a country feel. It's a heartbreaking song.

4:56AM (For the First Time Today, Part 1) - "You were my every day excuse for playing deaf, dumb and blind..." a moment to catch our breath as Roger
Wallows in loneliness. He paints heartache like a master. Love the piano sounding like a cocktail lounge at the end.

4:58AM (Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin) - it sets us up for the most bizarre dream sequence. Roger portraits the pain of divorce so well. The sense of loss and grief.

5:01AM The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking - the seemingly random inclusion of Yoko Ono comes from a dream of drummer Andy Newmark. This is such an outlier from the album. But damn it is catchy. A proper if odd sing-along chorus. Great lead guitar from Clapton. The mish-mash of parts shouldn't work. But they do. The lyrics are like nothing else you'd hear on the radio, but this should have been a radio hit. In a better world it would have been.

5:06AM (Every Stranger's Eyes) - I agree that Roger does this 'list' songs so well. The waitress with the soothing voice is Warhol superstar Cherry Vanilla. I love the line... "The hope you kindle in your eyes." the gradual build and swell of the song is beautiful and effecting. Roger is a true romantic at heart, that is his secret.

"It's oh so easy now
As we lie here in the dark
Nothing interferes, it's obvious
How to beat the tears
That threaten to snuff out
The spark of our love"

5:11AM (The Moment of Clarity) - the perfect ending. I would hope that everyone has that someone for them.

"And I put out my hand just to touch your soft hair
To make sure in the darkness that you were still there
And I have to admit
I was just a little afraid
Yeah
But then...
I had a little bit of luck
You were awake
I couldn't take another moment alone"

Album Rating - 9 out of 10.

This has always been a favorite. It is the the tightest of Roger's solo albums. Clapton is simply amazing. I love this album.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Awesome, thanks Sarge for that review.

I feel like this album is a severely underrated and overlooked masterpiece. Roger seems to be able to place the right instruments and voices in exactly the right moments in every song. The orchestra is perfect - it doesn't overpower any song, it just enhances. The piano and guitar have never sounded so perfect together.

And Eric Clapton! I like your description: otherworldly. There are technically brilliant guitarists all over the world, but we love David Gilmour for the feeling he brings to his solos. Eric Clapton is the same - he's technically superior to Gilmour, and he can also bring that soulful feeling that few guitarists can bring. Prince was another. I hadn't listened to this album for years - I just loved every song for Clapton's input alone. But there is so much more to the album than just guitar. Roger's attention to detail has always been there. This album brings it to the next level. The lyrics are beyond poetic.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Stevie - I found this, from 1984. Roger touring with Clapton! Enjoy. I wish I had seen one of those shows...

1] Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
https://youtu.be/2UkQA6YfOCU

2] If
https://youtu.be/e5vyZ-FfFbU

3] Welcome to the Machine
https://youtu.be/TRcKG_bo3fE

4] Wish You Were Here
https://youtu.be/ZaE5iHyaOcg

5] In the Flesh
https://youtu.be/slzA867__tw

6] Nobody Home
https://youtu.be/gkLtLtamAbg

7] Hey You
https://youtu.be/0bjgcdBVeTQ

8] the Gunners Dream
https://youtu.be/LN1PFZ1ZjLM

9] Brain Damage
https://youtu.be/t1s2ui_rsRQ

10] Eclipse
https://youtu.be/0zFb3EP5054

11] Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad / Running Shoes
https://youtu.be/Aatb_UqratQ

12] Arabs with Knives and West German Skies / For the First Time Today pt II
https://youtu.be/vISJaOLSwQI

13] Sexual Revolution
https://youtu.be/-ze7HRzu3jo

14] the Remains of our Love
https://youtu.be/D1bBgyqH4Co

15] Go Fishing
https://youtu.be/uZgMTwI4z3s

16] For the First Time Today pt I / Dunroamin' Duncarin' Dunlivin'
https://youtu.be/ChttcF3xVu8

17] Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking / Every Stranger's Eyes
https://youtu.be/UuBDTSBUl9o

18] the Moment of Clarity
https://youtu.be/2Y9LbA3exN0
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Gold! Thanks. I particularly enjoyed Set the Controls and If. And of course all of Clapton’s Pros and Cons work.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

When the Wind Blows

Released: October 1986
StevieG rating: 7.3

This soundtrack album based on the animated disaster film is really quite affecting. Listening to the music and the snippets of dialogue throughout the songs has led to a desire to see the film. It sounds like a terrifying and devastating film, and the music complements it very well. I don't recognise the guitarist (Jay Stapley I believe from Wiki) but he does a great job.

When the Wind Blows

The full soundtrack is linked above.

The Russian Missile - 00:00-00:10

It's a little hard to rate a 10 second song. Basically it introduces the next track.

Towers of Faith - 00:10-06:55

StevieG rating: 9/10

I love this song. The lyrics are wonderful, the guitar is also great. Vocals are great. There's a nice lengthy guitar and sax solo at the end.

Hilda's Dream - 06:55-08:45

Honestly, the guitar is just beautiful. It has a sad, ominous feel to it. Upon hearing that a nuclear attack is imminent, Hilda says "I shouldn't worry too much love, it'll probably all blow over." The opening reminds me of Brain Damage and as the tune continues, there's something that reminds of one of the songs on Radio Kaos.

The American Bomber - 08:45-08:55

Once again, there's nothing wrong with those 10 seconds in the context of the soundtrack. It's a very short interlude.

The Anderson Shelter - 08:55-10:06

Seriously scary. The old couple recall with nostalgia life during WWII.

Hilda: Yes, it was nice at the war really. The shelters, the blackouts, cups of tea...

Jim: The A.R.P., evacuees, London kids seeing cows for the first time...

Hilda: Old Churchill on the wires...

Jim: Those were the days.

All to the backing of a nursery rhyme, "Rock-a-bye baby" with strings. It has a haunting and foreboding sound to it.

The British Submarine - 10:06-10:19

More intro. Nothing much again to this, but in the context, it fits.

The Attack - 10:19-13:14

Starts with an announcement that a nuclear attack will happen in approximately 3 minutes. Jim is trying to rush Hilda into the shelter, while she says "I'll just get the washing in" and "Oh dear, I've left the oven on! The cake will be burned!" Then the music becomes terrifying. Sounds like a horror movie, which is probably accurate. It builds to an explosion, followed by some almost soothing music in the aftermath.

The Fall Out - 13:14-15:16

It's difficult to explain how this song feels. Jim and Hilda are discussing the aftermath with jarring and uneasy sounds duelling with their dialogue.

Jim: Blimey! I..I suppose... that was it.
Hilda: Wasn't it light?
Jim: Yea, terrific. You.. you get terrific light with those bombs.

Hilda: What does the fallout look like, dear?
Jim: Fallout? The government directive neglected to mention what it would look like. I expect it would look a bit like snow does, only gray. Very quiet. I expect they're all are having a good lie-in after the bombing.
Hilda: Terrible smell of burning.
Jim: Well, yes. There's bound to be, that's logical...
Hilda: It smells like... roast meat.
Jim: Yes, it does. I expect everybody will be having their Sunday dinner a bit early this week, due to the unexpected circumstances...
Jim: A cloud coming up. Looks like rain. We'll be alright for water now for a while, my dear.
Hilda: Do you think rainwater is alright to drink?
Jim: Well, yes, of course it is. There's nothing purer than rainwater, is there? Everybody knows that.

It's just a series of "Oh no!" moments.

Hilda's Hair - 15:16-19:36

Hilda: Oh, look! My hair's coming out.

This slow track has a sadness and finality to it. I find myself imagining what's happening in the film. Radiation poisoning. Sickness. Death. Some really good guitar in this track. No more love. No more.... Damn, this is so devastating.

Folded Flags - 19:36-24:26

That fantastic guitar picking comes in from a previous track. And some brilliant lyrics.

Hey Joe, where you goin'
With that dogma in your head?
You can prove your point,
But your kids will still be dead
Bring down the curtain
The soap opera must surely close
Before the cold wind blows

Hey Joe, where you goin'
with that gun in your hand
You can take your revenge
But you'll still feel bad
Bring down the curtain
The show must close
Before the cold wind blows

And then the saxophone weeps with us. This relatively unknown song is Roger Waters at his best.

So rock a bye baby
On the tree top
When the wind blows
The cradle will rock
There must be more to life than lucky strikes
And some unlucky ones
And folded flags and pipes
And drums

The album ends with morse code, which almost introduces his next album, Radio Kaos. I feel like some of the ideas for Radio Kaos came from this soundtrack. Overall, it's Roger at his emotive best.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

A fun article to counter balance the most depressing movie soundtrack. I'll review tonight.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-fl ... ted-songs/

I'm going to just review the songs proper. The incidental music makes sense in the movie, but I don't want to factor in a bunch of zeros for my review.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

When the Wind Blows

Towers of Faith - Clare Torry on vocals. This song would fit in on Amused to Death. Great guitar work. Nice sax solo. Roger's lyrics are thought provoking.

Hilda's Dream - also reminds me of Brain Damage at the start. A sad lament. Love the acoustic guitar. I wish he developed it and added lyrics.

Null Rating - 5 out of 10.

The Anderson Shelter - the music box opening to the strings is clever.

Null Rating - 4 out of 10.

The Attack - the music is properly terrifying. It works even better in the movie. The the aftermath of the explosion is soothing. Almost English dance hall at times.

Null Rating - 5 out of 10.

The Fall Out - more nightmare to echo their confusion. The music box returns briefly. And then the husband decides to drink the Rain water.

Null Rating - 4 out of 10

Hilda's Hair - slow depressing start. I do like the guitar. I would like to hear the track without the keys and strings. The prayer at the end is heartbreaking.

Null Rating - 6 out of 10

Folded Flags - Paul Carrack on background vocals. Syrong lyrics. Roger's vocals are spot on. This song fits the depressed mood of the movie. I love the morse code ending the song. Love the sax solo.

Null Rating - 8 out of 10

Album Rating - 5.8 out of 10.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The rest of the soundtrack

David Bowie - When the Wind Blows
https://youtu.be/Td0PohHn2BE

Hugh Cornwall - Facts and Figures
https://youtu.be/DLPml9PjByA

Genesis - the Brazilian
https://youtu.be/85I7tUIFmrQ

Squeeze - What Have They Done
https://youtu.be/q0Yl1fiHRu4

Paul Hardcastle - the Shuffle
https://youtu.be/qSFdS_NEyas
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

They all sound very 80s :D except for The Shuffle which sounds like a shuffle! Nothing overly outstanding in that mix.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I wish Roger had kept Towers of Faith and Folded Flags for Radio Kaos and developed Hilda's Dream for that project as well. Kaos needed to be a double album.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Yes, it absolutely did. He recorded 16 songs or something and only used half of them. It was an 80s disaster, or at best, a missed opportunity.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Radio K.A.O.S

Released: June 1987
StevieG rating: 5.8/10

I haven't heard this album in years. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. In fact, it has aged really poorly. Roger succumbed to 80s fever and created an 80s album, full of space drums and crappy mixes. There are some good songs in there, but there are also some shockers. The story of Billy, the mentally and physically disabled Welsh kid, who hears radio waves in his head, is severely underdeveloped. If you didn't read what the story was about, it would be difficult to work it out from the music.

This is so unlike Roger, that I get the feeling he was pressured into making it sound a certain way. In fact, looking at Wiki, here's an excerpt:
Since the release, Waters has expressed his dislike for the album and the effort put into creating it. He confessed in an interview that the attempt to make the album sound "modern" had ruined the record:

"Between Ian Ritchie and myself, we really fucked that record up. We tried too hard to make it sound modern. I allowed myself to get pushed down roads that were uncomfortable for me. I should never have made that record."

In addition to being dissatisfied with the production, Waters regrets his decision to trim the album from a double to a single one, thus losing much of the concept.
There is also a distinct lack of interesting guitars on this album, made even more prominent because of the Pros and Cons guitar-laden work. It has that 80s "lost in the mix" feel about it.

Radio Waves

StevieG rating: 3/10

Roger's voice sounds terrible. Up to this point, he's been renowned for his incredibly melodious and thought-provoking tunes. This is bland. It goes on and on, and I don't like the lyrics. I mean, they're put together well, but they go on too much. A major disappointment to start the album.

Who Needs Information

StevieG rating: 4/10

Has a reasonable start I suppose. But seriously, Billy and Benny?? Are they the flowerpot men? Ok, so they go out on a bender, and Benny hurls a concrete block over a footbridge, killing a taxi driver. It's a little hard to follow from the song - I read the story on Wiki...

The song has an 80s flavour that I don't really like. And then to rub salt into my wounds, in comes the effing brass. It really hurts to listen to in the end. The backing vocals are good - actually, all the musicians are good, but honestly, it has the feel of a friggin Gilmour 80s album. Ugh.

Me or Him

This is a bit better. It's nothing special, but it's not bad. I don't like the dated political commentary at the end.

The Powers That Be

StevieG rating: 4/10

It starts ok. Good backing vocals. I just think the refrain is overdone. It goes on and on, particularly if you don't overly like it. It has its moments, but I'm not a fan. The brass is awful. I'm relieved when it's over.

Sunset Strip

Ok, so apart from the annoying dog barking at the start, and the even more annoying Fish Report with a beat, and the even more annoying repeating "I don't like fish" commentary, and the annoying brass and 80s flavour, and the really really annoying "I don't like fish" interludes, and the really effing annoying commentary at the end about hating fish, and the unbelievably annoying "I like to be home with my monkey and my dog" crap at the end, this song is damn catchy! :D I'd give it a higher rating, but I think they messed it up big time.

Home

This is one of Roger's "list" songs, which should be awesome because I love all of his other ones. But I don't like this one much. I like the lyrics to a point. But why did he have to back the song with a Pet Shop Boys track? That's what it sounds like. And then I think he goes on way too long with his lists. I believe this should have been the crux of the album, the central song. As it turns out, it's ok at best.

Four Minutes

Ok, so the world is coming to an end. Sounds a bit like When the Wind Blows thematically. The song takes exactly four minutes which is a nice touch. I really like the lyrics on this one. The supporting vocals are great.

After a near miss on a plane
You swear you'll never fly again

After the first kiss when you make up
You swear you'll never break up again

And when you've just run a red light
Sit shaking under the street light
You swear to yourself, you'll never drink and drive again

Sometimes I feel like going home

Clare Torry is a welcome addition to this song.

The Tide is Turning

And out of the blue, we have a great song full of hope and compassion. Lyrics are fine. The music is uplifting and hopeful. It's a great way to end an album that could have been so much better. We actually hear some nice guitar. This song has become an anthem of sorts.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Vespers”