Announcement & Suggestions Posting Guidelines

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Announcement & Suggestions Posting Guidelines

Post by [Syl] »

I should've posted this a long time ago, but to avoid further confusion... here goes.

Please limit new topics to those relevant to Kevin's Watch or Stephen R. Donaldson. More personal announcements should be posted in General Discussion or The Summonsing (announcements concerning non-admin comings and goings, for example). Exceptions can be made, of course, but they will be few. 'Announcements' as opposed to 'announcements,' so to speak.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, even the frivolous, and even ones like 'Syl, why don't you shove these guidelines somewhere uncomfortable?' Off-topic posts are fine, too, but if they reach critical mass, they'll probably be split and moved.

I told Jay I had a pretty draconion view of A&S, and he still gave me the gig. So blame Jay. Of course, any resulting use of the Ban Sticktm is beyond my control... same reason you'll never see me move any of Jay's posts when he goes on one of his cat sniffing benders.

That's it. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

Questions or concerns should be addressed to the moderator (me). If you feel like you can't ask me (I don't bite, I swear... not that I'd swear at you, either... probably), then they should be addressed to one of the administrators. Maybe it's just the sailor in me wanting to enforce the chain of command, but I imagine most other moderators would feel the same way about their forums.

Despite the prodigious lengths that our admins and mods have gone to in order to stop or root out spam, it still happens. Until you hear from an admin (hint, not me), take this as advice, but...

Follow the old internet adage and 'Don't feed the trolls.' Look, it's not like email spam. They're not trying to get you to buy their products or even click on their links. They're trying to increase their search engine rankings. Responding to them, no matter how clever you think you are, only helps them. The more they're rewarded, the more it's worth their time to re-register and do it over again.

The registration should clue you in that these are people setting up the accounts, not bots. They get paid to do it (pennies, but it can add up) by small internet 'media' companies. The good ones can do it so well a normal poster wouldn't notice it's spam.

You want to help? Just PM the mod/s of the forum or other mods to let them know it's there. Beyond rewarding the spammers, adding posts to the threads makes it that much harder for the mods or admins to clean it up (unless they choose to just delete your post with it, which, unless it's a policy, still requires them to make that consideration.
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Re: Announcement & Suggestions Posting Guidelines

Post by kevinswatch »

Syl wrote:So blame Jay.
Sure, why not... I get blamed for everything else around here. :P -jay
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wow! That's a great way the welcome newcomers-two upset looking males capable of throwing bullets and fireballs at you! 8O (I think you better do what they say! :biggrin: )
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, I used to be holding a kitten, but it got rabies. Gotta put that cat down.

Speaking of putting the cat down, how's it going, Jay? Hmm, maybe it's not rabies. Maybe it just saw Jay coming and freaked out. Ah well, gun's already loaded...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

ImageA right! And a left! boom, boom!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mrs. Conclusion: Hullo, Mrs. Premise.

Mrs. Premise: Hullo, Mrs. Conclusion.

Conclusion: Busy Day?

Premise: Busy? I just spent four hours burying the cat.

Conclusion: Four hours to bury a cat??

Premise: Yes - it wouldn't keep still, wriggling about, howling its head off.

Conclusion: Oh - it wasn't dead, then?

Premise: No, no - but it's not at all well, so as we were going away for a fortnight's holiday, I thought I'd better bury it just to be on the safe side.

Conclusion: Quite right - you don't want to come back from Sorrento to a dead cat. It'd be so anticlimactic. Yes, kill it now, that's what I say. We're going to have to have our budgie put down.

Premise: Really - is it very old?

Conclusion: No, we just don't like it. We're going to take it to the vet tomorrow.

Premise: Tell me, how do they put budgies down, then?

Conclusion: Well, it's funny you should ask that, because I've just been reading a great big book about how to put your budgie down, and apparently you can either hit them with the book, or you can shoot them just there, just above the beak.

Premise: Just there? Well, well, well. 'Course, Mrs. Essence flushed hers down the loo.

Conclusion: No, you shouldn't do that - no, that's dangerous. They breed in the sewers, and eventually you get evil-smelling flocks of huge soiled budgies flying out of people's lavatories infringing their personal freedom.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:haha: :haha:

Bets on where Syl is going to split this thread?

We hear and obey Caer Sylvanus. :Hail: ;)

--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Re: Announcement & Suggestions Posting Guidelines

Post by [Syl] »

Syl wrote:Please limit new topics to those relevant to Kevin's Watch or Stephen R. Donaldson. More personal announcements should be posted in General Discussion or The Summonsing (announcements concerning non-admin comings and goings, for example). Exceptions can be made, of course, but they will be few. 'Announcements' as opposed to 'announcements,' so to speak.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*bump*
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Please limit linked images to a width of 700 pixels or less.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Questions or concerns should be addressed to the moderator (me). If you feel like you can't ask me (I don't bite, I swear... not that I'd swear at you, either... probably), then they should be addressed to one of the administrators. Maybe it's just the sailor in me wanting to enforce the chain of command, but I imagine most other moderators would feel the same way about their forums.
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh. I should add that by the above "questions and concerns," I was referring to the posting guidelines or the enforcement thereof. I really don't want everyone sending me questions on whether or not there should be a certain item sold in the shop, forums made, etc. I don't have that much time (or clout). :mrgreen:
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

So, Avatar asked me to re-mod this forum. Once again, the admins are to blame, though this time it wasn't Jay.

For those that don't know me, I have a fairly draconian approach to forum management. That's right; the fun machine just took... a turn for the worse and died. (actually, it's probably not that bad. just go by the rules at the top of this thread and everything should be fine)

Many threads and/or posts will probably be moved in the next few days. If this perplexes you, please take advantage of the usually functioning search button at the top of the page to find your posts.

Any questions or problems (or problematic questions), as they pertain to this forum, you are always welcome to send me a private message. Praises and accolades are also accepted, as are private massages.

If things go horribly wrong, talk to/blame an admin.
-George Steiner

Post by Avatar »

Forum was getting a mess, and Vain isn't around much. Y'all can blame me if you like. :lol:

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Welcome back, Sheriff!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Watch out! He's got a gun!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

was this really a problem? seems a waste of bandwith...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Start by shooting the Sgt.

:lol:

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

<--- [despite Av's obvious provocation, knows better than to whistle a Bob Marley tune at this juncture!]
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Avatar wrote:Start by shooting the Sgt.

:lol:

--A
hey i am always on point and on topic
unfortunate that not many of you can
understand my point about topics. :biggrin:
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon