Radiohead - Genius or Junk?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Radiohead - Genius or Junk?

Post by Brinn »

Any thoughts on them? I own "Kid A" and "OK Computer". It seems I end up enjoying 1 or 2 songs from each album but I just can't get into the rest. If you read the reviews for this group on Amazon you will find extremely polarized views...It appears that you either love them or, according to the reviews, are just not bright enough to appreciate the genius of their music. I have come to the conclusion that they're overrated. Not awful nor even bad...just not the next coming of the Beatles as their fans would have you believe. ;)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Really enjoyed Ok Computer and a lot of their earlier stuff, though I'm not a big Radiohead fan by any means. I thought Kid A was a kind of genius, but it was a kind of genius that I personally couldn't listen to for very long without getting really annoyed. I've heard Amnesiac was better (and all Radiohead fans I've known say The Bends is their best ever), but I haven't heard any tracks off it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Really depends on the timeline and your tastes - I have 'The Bends' and all the tracks on that are pretty good, but if you look at the stuff they've done on the last few albums (Kid A, the one after that, that new one), I don't really like any of that stuff.

Its hard to keep track of their early albums for me, since many of the songs seem to be repeated on a few.

The Bends has that classics - Creep, Just, My Iron Lung, Street Spirit (Fade Out).
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Genius Genius Genius. They are just awsome in they're own little universe. But ya know to be honest I can't take anymore cd's like Kid A. And to listen to that one I have to be in a dark, self contemplating mood. Just saw Vanilla Sky and there was a dream sequence with the first song playing over the whole sound and it was a great fit.

Hopefully they will change thier style back to more like OK Computer in the new album coming out. I have only heard one song so far and it sounds pretty good.

:D Just thinking about a tour gives me a smiley face. :D
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I like the song If There is A God. I have a version on Ares where Corgan does the lead vocals. Haven't heard too much of their other stuff...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Radiohead

Post by matrixman »

I bought Pablo Honey on a whim a while back just to check out what all the fuss was about Radiohead.

Boy, was I sorry! That was the biggest waste of my time in a long time. Granted it was one of the band's earlier(?) releases...but bad, incoherent songwriting is bad, incoherent songwriting. Is the concept of a melody too radical for this band? I don't think I'll be spending anymore time with Radiohead. Life's too short.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Earlier stuff is great, but they've become pretentious lately.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Hey, don't give up on Radiohead until you've heard OK Computer. Judging the band on Pablo Honey alone is a critical error.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yes, I admit that my earlier post was probably coloured by Despite-filled feelings :roll: . I'll go visit my local used CD shop when I get the chance and see if I can pick up OK Computer.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Matrixman wrote:Yes, I admit that my earlier post was probably coloured by Despite-filled feelings :roll: . I'll go visit my local used CD shop when I get the chance and see if I can pick up OK Computer.
Good man! By the way, sorry about my Despite and all. Sometimes I drop it and people pick it up.

Also, keep in mind that OK Computer usually takes more than one listening through to really be appreciated. Just the nature of the beast.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I don't have anything against Radiohead in themselves, but I find them really difficult to listen to. I just find them...dull. I find I've sat through three songs and not even noticed because my brain just switches off. In fairness, I think Ok Computer is about the only one I haven't heard, so maybe that would change my mind
Worm of Despite
Lord

On the other hand, I've only heard OK Computer, which is thought to be their best. I do enjoy it. For me, it's good quality listening, but it doesn't speak to me or make put my full attention into it, like The Floyd does.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

LF - THE FLOYD! Someone else understands..... :cry: :D :D :D

My son told me he didn't like Pink Floyd. :cry: He said it's too scary. (That's what I get for letting him watch The Wall when he was four.... :? )
I told him Don't dis' The Floyd!

But this is the Radiohead thread..... :oops: ;)

Umm....I like Fake Plastic Trees, and Creep. I think those are the only ones I know. ;)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Say what you like - I love Pablo Honey! I just like the feel of the album, and Creep is one of my alltime-favorites (yes, I know, it is such an obvious choice, but never mind).

:x 8)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Creep. 'Nuff said. I also like one of their new songs I keep hearing on hte radio...There, There?
Worm of Despite
Lord

birdandbear wrote:LF - THE FLOYD! Someone else understands..... :cry: :D :D :D
Heh, don't get me started on Floyd! ;) They're by far my favorite band and creators of my favorite album (Wish You Were Here). Maybe I should make a new Floyd thread?
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Yes! I could sing the praises of PF all day! Wish You Were Here is the greatest album, by the greatest band in the history of rock!

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (part 1) is my current (past several months) Floyd song. It changes from time to time though. I think the last one was Great Gig In The Sky. :D :D 8)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Worm of Despite
Lord

You're kidding me, right?! Shine On is my favorite too! Although, I tend to just include both parts 1 and 2.

If you'd like to see what I believe is the best Floyd site on the Net, check out:

www.pinkfloyd-co.com/mast_idx.html
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

8O

Hey guys, this is a radiohead thread.

:x

8)
Worm of Despite
Lord