Fatal Revenant Draft 2 Finished

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I think I meant that the changes made to the Runes paperback version were more of a one-off. I know small alterations are made from time to time (typos etc) but I would think that generally authors try to "get it right" (when it comes to that type of thing) the first time around.

But, I hear what you're saying: the price you pay for a hb, you'd hope that it was the *best* version. The way I see it, however, is that you end up with a more "original" version (if that makes sense--more people have the pb than the hb). But, then again, I'm a "glass half full" type of gal (well...I like to think I am).
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I'll be buying the HB just because I can't wait (Think I just wet myself again thinking about it) I don't normally but I think SRD has jaded me and I need to read GOOD books now.

It's funny how much more I get out of his books now that I'm old and stuff. They have so much more meaning. I remember reading Lord Fouls Bane the first time and thinking *There should be more fighting and action, tired of hearing the old man cry a lot!*
Boy was I ever young and stupid! :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Seareach wrote:The way I see it, however, is that you end up with a more "original" version (if that makes sense--more people have the pb than the hb).
The argument cuts both ways ... if the original version has value (a "warts and all" sort of thing), then why did the author change it?
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Wayfriend wrote:
Seareach wrote:The way I see it, however, is that you end up with a more "original" version (if that makes sense--more people have the pb than the hb).
The argument cuts both ways ... if the original version has value (a "warts and all" sort of thing), then why did the author change it?

I don't think you can ever be "done" with something like that. I know when I was working in the comic industry I was always changing stuff an being late on deadlines. Finally you just got to say it's done and move on.
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

I hadn't realised that the harback & paperback version of Runes were different - how so?

I thought Runes was quite flabby - a lot could have been cut out - this what you're talking about?
He came dancing across the water...what a killer...
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

No, we were comparing UK vs US editions, I believe.

But as far as Runes being made with more cuts, I did think that at first, but then realized that there are a lot of repeats in Runes for first time readers of the series; ie, many things that were in chrons 1 and 2 had to be reflected back upon for better understanding of the chron 3 story line.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Kil Tyme wrote:No, we were comparing UK vs US editions, I believe.
In the US, the paperback edition is different from the hardback. There is even a thread here in the Watch somewhere, where someone on behalf of SRD was asking for a list of things that needed to be corrected. For example, I'm pretty sure that they changed Jeremiah from being the youngest child to the oldest in order to be consistent with TWL.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Wayfriend wrote:
When I said this, I was talking about market value of a book (to collectors): take for example the first book of Harry Potter. I do remember reading that there were amendments made to that. That makes the original edition of the book more highly collectable.

In the case of SRD, as far as I remember he thought the publication of Runes was rushed. I think he said that after he had received his editors comments they wanted changes made within a month (which is far quicker than he'd normally do them. He took longer than that, but didn't spend as much time on the final draft as he wanted to). So, because it was rushed there were "mistakes" in Runes that SRD wasn't happy to leave (the age of Jeremiah being one, Linden having never heard of hurtloam being another).

I agree with Buckamara: you can never really be "done" with these things. In the end you just have to say "I've done the best I can do within the constraints of my situation" (deadlines, what ever). Perhaps SRD was sufficiently embarrassed by the mistakes that he had left he felt compelled to change them.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Hope the editors don't take their time..

I read and have reread this series so many time that My 1st set of book have fell apart.

(2nd set was in hardcover)

/fap
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/stephen-do ... venant.htm

Tell me if I am mistaken.. on the page it saids that the book will be available in the UK on 18 Oct 2007 in Hardback.
If that is the case then that is a year away! :hithead:
(Plz somebody smack me with a trout and tell me it isn't true!)
(I want it earlier! :yeehaa: )
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's true - you still have a year to wait.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Not me!! :biggrin:

I'm gonna buy the ARC!!

:P
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Not me. I'm gonna...I'm gonna.... :biggrin:
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

For those in the know, aren't pre-published, post edited books sent to a bunch of reviewers/book critics months in advance of the Release date in order to get some reviews to put on the cover, advertisement, etc?

If so, when are those (and I know there is a term for this kind of pre release, release) books sent to the reviews/book critics?
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”