Fatal Revenant Draft 2 Finished

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Fatal Revenant Draft 2 Finished

Post by Seareach »

From the GI today:
The second draft of "Fatal Revenant" is now complete. It currently stands at 1088 pages. Now it goes to my agent, who will then deliver it to my editors (US and UK). At that point, I will be 7 1/2 months "ahead" of schedule. But this is misleading. I don't know how long I'll have to wait for my editors to read the manuscript and request changes--and I don't know how extensive those requests will be. A third draft is inevitable; but I don't know when I'll be able to get started, or how long the revisions will take. In short, I still have no idea when "Fatal Revenant" will be published.
8/18/06
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

Excellent news! Thanks Seareach, I always forget to check the GI.
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

US and UK editors? You mean different editors for the same book = different stuff taken out and published depending on where you buy the book?
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Kil Tyme wrote:US and UK editors? You mean different editors for the same book = different stuff taken out and published depending on where you buy the book?
Mabye for words that are spelled differently over here compared to the US?
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Lorelei
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lorelei »

Warmark wrote:
Kil Tyme wrote:US and UK editors? You mean different editors for the same book = different stuff taken out and published depending on where you buy the book?
Mabye for words that are spelled differently over here compared to the US?
Maybe it is the way that the publishing house is set up, different editors for different branches...possibly the end product is a hybrid of the two. Of course there is always the possibility that the UK editions are published by a different publishing house....I do not know off hand.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Well, you know the british, they add 'u's to everything: colour, parlour, etc.

they also add in sentances like:

"Hello, mum! whats this? a big bloke with green rock? bloody well, lets have a go at'im, straight away, all together now. cheerio. "

so those blokes over there will understand it. hey, it takes time :)

edit: No Britons were hurt in the processing of the above message.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Donaldson does indeed have different publishers for The Last Chronicles: Putnam in the US and Orion in the UK. The two covers (for Runes) are very different. Well I'm off to Bubonicon to listen to SRD read something new from Fatal Revenant. Life's rough, but someone's got to do it... :P
fall far and well Pilots!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Man...I would LOOOOVE to get my mitts on that draft. The first 40 pages are likely to be a tour-de-force, no matter what it depicts.

My guess is we might start with Roger, a fatal revenant himself.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I think I just wet myself, just a little
Verement
Servant of the Land

Post by Verement »

iquestor wrote:Well, you know the british, they add 'u's to everything: colour, parlour, etc.

they also add in sentances like:

"Hello, mum! whats this? a big bloke with green rock? bloody well, lets have a go at'im, straight away, all together now. cheerio. "

so those blokes over there will understand it. hey, it takes time :)

edit: No Britons were hurt in the processing of the above message.
Hey! Less of the uk bashing! Just remember we INVENTED english you lot corrupted it....
I have never read a book that has " Hello mum!.......We understand quite a lot thank you so very much.

'speaks to mum' " I think they need a good spanking on the fanny over there" :biggrin:
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

verement wrote:I have never read a book that has " Hello mum!.......We understand quite a lot thank you so very much.
That's because it would be:

'ello mum!

:-)

Yes - we Yanks mucked it up quite a bit. And in a hundred different ways, too - one for each dialect that we have. But it does add a bit of color (sorry - colour) to things, eh? :-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Verement
Servant of the Land

Color (yuk) Vs Colour (hurrah!)

Post by Verement »

I suppose if you read Terry Partchett - The ColoUr of Magic you must have been very confused!!!

Seriously I have to agree with Inquisitor (to some degree) that is totally unfair that ther could be the possibility of different edited versions of a a fantastic set of books.

Thankfully we don't get to much of the mistranslations that occur with other languages.

Here's hoping we get ours first though!!! :wink:

"Temporal Mechanics gives me a headache" (Captain Kathryn Janeway)
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

verement wrote:=Hey! Less of the uk bashing! Just remember we INVENTED english you lot corrupted it....=
In my time I have had conversations with Glaswegians, Mancunians, and people from darkest Brixton.

You guys do a magnificent job of corrupting the language all by yourselves.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Variol Farseer wrote:
verement wrote:=Hey! Less of the uk bashing! Just remember we INVENTED english you lot corrupted it....=
In my time I have had conversations with Glaswegians, Mancunians, and people from darkest Brixton.

You guys do a magnificent job of corrupting the language all by yourselves.
You've had conversations with Glaswegians, and you're still alive to tell the tale?

Respect :)
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Re a UK edit:
iquestor wrote:"Hello, mum! whats this? a big bloke with green rock? bloody well, lets have a go at'im, straight away, all together now. cheerio. "
LOL! Too funny.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Color (yuk) Vs Colour (hurrah!)

Post by Romeo »

verement wrote:I suppose if you read Terry Partchett - The ColoUr of Magic you must have been very confused!!!

Seriously I have to agree with Inquisitor (to some degree) that is totally unfair that ther could be the possibility of different edited versions of a a fantastic set of books.

Thankfully we don't get to much of the mistranslations that occur with other languages.

Here's hoping we get ours first though!!! :wink:

"Temporal Mechanics gives me a headache" (Captain Kathryn Janeway)
Don't worry - there won't be any substantial differences between the two versions. Mostly spelling and punctuation - no plot changes or anything like that. Think of it as a US author having his book translated into English. :-) Any substantial changes are based on both US and UK editor input, and will be integrated at the same time - so things will be the same except for grammar.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... its the major edits and changes between the hardcover and the paperback versions which are immensely unfair.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Wayfriend wrote:... its the major edits and changes between the hardcover and the paperback versions which are immensely unfair.
Unless you buy both, which also has two advantages: additional cents (heh) in the pockets of our favorite author, and a chance to pretend a new Donaldson book came out one year after the last one and two years away from the next one ;)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Wayfriend wrote:... its the major edits and changes between the hardcover and the paperback versions which are immensely unfair.
But that was a one-off, wasn't it?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Seareach wrote:
But that was a one-off, wasn't it?
Hard to know what you're asking. It's done for every book, I presume. On the other hand, most of the changes were due to continuity errors with the first two Chronicles, so the ones for the other books should be less glaring.

Still, if you pay for the HB, you'd like to think you have the best version available.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”