Who will Linden Be?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Will I still read the books with LA as the main character? Is SRD writing the books? Then YES YES YES. I read them because SRD is a certified genius. I'm not ready to join the Linden Haters Club, but she does change the dynamic of the Chronicles most definitely. Can't put my finger on it, but it's kind of like taking a second trip to Hawaii and having a splinter in your foot the whole time. :?
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:LOLS: Good one!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Aside from recognizing that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, I am honestly perplexed at the amount of hatred Linden generates...even if it is dislike that resembles a thorn.

To me it is the Land.

Critics say that in Dune there were two main characters: Paul and Dune.

That's how I feel about this.
Spoiler
Only Paul isn't entirely absent.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

true... even more than the slaughter of the giants, i felt very real pain upon reading the second chronicles and learning of the destruction of the remnants of the one forest, and even more when kevin's watch fell ... but in any case, i don't hate linden, i just don't see how she can retain her hero role if she is dead... :(
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
Vain19
Stonedownor

Post by Vain19 »

and if she can't be the hero, and tc really can't return to that role... than who? 8O
"Old Gregg, legendary fish. Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say it's more of a seventy- thirty split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard."
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I believe I read in the GI that the LC would be entirely in Linden's PoV. Now maybe i was tired and dreamed it, but I don't think so. :)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

burgs wrote:Aside from recognizing that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, I am honestly perplexed at the amount of hatred Linden generates...even if it is dislike that resembles a thorn.
Join the Dark Side, my young one.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

drew wrote:I persoanlly don't have a problem with her, anyone who thinks she whines too much should go back and read the first Chonicles again, and see how much pissing and moaning Covenant does.
I think you've hit it on the head, drew. Covenant was much more of a pisser than Linden has ever been, and people simply don't like her because she isn't TC. Which, IMHO, is just lame.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Hey now, no need to call us lame. :P

All I've ever done is simply call things as I see them. Linden never really connected with me. And it just seemed to be emphasized more in Runes, which was all Linden, all the time.-jay
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

lame!
lame!
lame! :P :biggrin:

Come on, it's just as bad as watching Covenant piss in each corner of his rooms for five chapters in TIW! :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

OK, OK, I'm not calling anyone "lame", I'm just addressing the concept.

I'm not sure if they're one and the same though...
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

danlo wrote:lame!
lame!
lame! :P :biggrin:

Come on, it's just as bad as watching Covenant piss in each corner of his rooms for five chapters in TIW! :wink:
So very true. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

kevinswatch wrote:Hey now, no need to call us lame. :P

All I've ever done is simply call things as I see them. Linden never really connected with me. And it just seemed to be emphasized more in Runes, which was all Linden, all the time.-jay
Well, if you dont like her now, wait til you see the new trailer for FR up on SRDs site:

www.stephenrdonaldson.com
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh, yeah, I saw that. The trailer makes her seem like some sort of Ultra-Slut. Heh.-jay
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

:roll:
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

BAck to the original topic "Who will Linden be?" So many possibilities. Law of Death broken previously (and here's TC again back from the "dead"), etc. How about Elena? TC loved her, she was both weak and strong, she was passionate and emotional, she was dedicated and tragic, and impulsive, not thinking things through due to her immense passions (invoking the PoC without thinking it through, then giving Kevin a call). Sound like anyone we know??? I neither hate nor love LA, but she has become an essential part of the Chronicles. It would have been interesting to have read an alternate Second Chronicles without her though. Just to see what would have taken place.........
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW

Return to “Fatal Revenant”