Bozo the Iron Man, Atomic Skull, and other Null Favorites

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Shouldn't DC publish an Atomic Skull comic?

Yes
No votes
Hell Yes
50%
Of Course!
No votes
Only if they allow Sgt. Null to wright it.
25%
No, there are already too many moronic titles in the DC universe.
25%

Total votes: 4

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Bozo the Iron Man, Atomic Skull, and other Null Favorites

Post by sgt.null »

Bozo the Iron Man
Identity/Class: Robot
Affiliations: Hugh Hazzard (owner and master)
Enemies: Dr. Van Thorp
Aliases: Iron Man
First Appearance: Smash Comics #1 (Quality Comics, August 1939)

Powers/Abilities: Bozo is bulletproof and possesses superhuman strength. He can operate in a number of hostile environments, including the depths of the oceans. He can run as fast as a car. He contains a hollow cavity within his body capable of fitting a full sized human, and can be piloted by his passenger. He can also be commanded by remote control.

History: Bozo was a robot invented by the villainous Dr.Van Thorp, who planned to use his invention as a means for world conquest. However the scientist had reckoned without the heroic youth Hugh Hazzard, who overheard his plotting, and intervened, defeating Von Thorp and stealing Bozo. After the Doctor was arrested, Hugh continued to use Bozo to fight crime.

Comments: Created by George Brenner.

Bozo's adventures ran from Smash Comics #1 to #42 (April 1943). He became property of National Periodical Publications (D.C. Comics) in 1956, just like most other Quality characters, but thus far, has only been seen in cameo in Starman II#64, where he was seen to be part of a Japanese collector's hoard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Iron_Man

Bozo the Iron Man
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Hugh Hazzard and his Robot, Bozo the Iron Man was featured in issues 1-42 of the Smash Comics comic book from Quality Comics. Hugh Hazard's adventures were written and crudely drawn by Quality Comics editor George Brenner. Bozo was featured on the cover of issue #1, the first robot cover of a comic book.

Bozo's Origin and History
Bozo on the cover of Smash Comics No. 5, 1940In the first installment, the origin story, Hugh Hazard is a suit and fedora clad man with connections to a large city police department. He is involved in the investigation of crimes committed by a mysterious robot. Hugh manages to temporarily deactivate the robot, and climbs inside its hollow chest to hitch a ride to the robot's home base, which turns out to be the laboratory of an evil scientist, who dies in the ensuing battle. The robot is again deactivated, and placed on a garbage scow for disposal at sea, but Hugh Hazard has ideas of using the robot as a crime-fighting tool. He saves the robot from its watery fate, then names the robot Bozo.

In the next installment, Hazard is shown examining the robot's blueprints, and stating that the robot can be modified to fly. The modified robot, shown flying with a spinning propeller on its head, is again used to foil a crime. Flying would be a part of all subsequent appearances.

After the pattern of the first adventure, Hugh Hazard tended to encounter criminals committing crimes with scientific gadgetry, and these criminals tended to become the victims of their own weapons.

In 1956, Quality Comics characters were sold to DC Comics. Quality's Blackhawks continued to be published without interuption, but most of their other characters languished. While most of the classic Quality superheroes saw print again many years later, Hugh Hazard has not returned. A robot resembling Bozo did make a single-panel appearance in an issue of James Robinson's Starman, where the inactive robot was in a store-room with a Japanese collector's horde of golden age superhero artifacts.

The Forerunner of Mecha
Hugh Hazard has a walkie-talkie-like radio that he uses to vocally summon Bozo the Robot, who is sometimes shown standing in a grove of trees when he receives his radio summons. In later stories, Hugh Hazard would have adventures riding inside the robot, with his voice emanating from the mute robot's grinning mouth. The robot is shown as human-size in these stories, as if it were a suit of armor. This depiction of the character resembles the Marvel Comics Iron Man character that would debut 24 years later, and anticipates the emergence of the Mecha genre in Japanese manga and anime.

1939 was the year of the New York World's Fair, which featured Westinghouse's Elektro robot. This was the major event of the year in New York, and it is likely that George Brenner and most other people involved in New York based comic book industry attended the event. Elektro was well remembered by fair attendees, and could have inspired Brenner to make a robot the star of a comic book feature. Bozo even shares a design element with electro, a round glass porthole on the chest, which exposes internal circuitry.

That year also saw the release of the serial film The Phantom Creeps, in which Bela Lugosi portrays an evil scientist that uses a robot and other fantastic scientific devices to take revenge on the world for his wife's death. An earlier serial, 1935's science fiction western Gene Autry and the Phantom Empire, contained a sequence in which two comedic gangsters wear the shells of deactivated robots to infiltrate a futuristic city. These two serial films contain the story elements of the first Hugh Hazard adventure.

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Jeez, you couldn't find anything worse and more obscure that this? You're slipping, old man.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Red Bee
The Red Bee is a fictional superhero from the Golden Age of Comics who first appeared in Hit Comics #1, published in July of 1940 by Quality Comics. The character was later obtained by DC Comics.

The Red Bee's secret identity is Rick Raleigh, assistant district attorney in Superior City. His superhero modus operandi is to put on a red and pink costume and, with his trained bees and "stinger gun", fight Nazis and gangsters. His favorite bee was named Michael and lived inside his belt buckle for use in special circumstances; the feature's writer was presumably unaware that male bees do not sting at all.

The character never became very popular, and was largely forgotten until he reappeared in DC Comics' All-Star Squadron, where it was retconned that he had been killed by the Nazi supervillain Baron Blitzkrieg. He also appeared as a ghost in the pages of Starman.

Other post-Crisis appearances include a cameo in Animal Man in which the character resided in a cancelled character's "limbo", and in Bizarro Comics, where he and his agent were attempting to improve his marketability. He is mentioned by Plastic Man as having been a friend and drinking buddy in an issue
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Damn he's sexy!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Captain Triumph

Publisher Quality Comics
First appearance Crack Comics #27 (January 1943)
Created by Alfred Andriola

Alter ego Lance Gallant
Notable powers Superhumanly strong, able to fly, invulnerable, able to turn invisible

Captain Triumph is a fictional superhero from the Golden Age of Comics who first appeared in Crack Comics #27, published in January of 1943 by Quality Comics. The character was later obtained by DC Comics.

Origin
In 1919 twin brothers Michael and Lance Gallant were born in New York City, a pair so alike, even to a T-shaped birthmark on their left wrists, that even their mother could not distinguish between them. The two remained close, even for twins, as they grew up.

When America was drawn into the Second World War, Michael enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, becoming a pilot, but on the day of his 23rd birthday, as he brought his plane into land, the hanger he was entering blew up. His fiancee Kim Meredith and his brother Lance witnessed this act of sabotage, and the latter raced into the burning structure, managing to retrieve his badly injured sibling, only for Michael to die in his arms.

Lance swore vengeance on the murderers, and those like them. Unknown to him, the Fates, creatures of myth, were watching all this, and decided to create a champion. Soon afterwards Lance received a shocking visitation from Michael's ghost, who revealed that they remained linked together, and that if Lance was to touch his birthmark, they would merge together, gaining superpowers as a result. Touching the mark a second time would separate them again. Calling himself Captain Triumph, Lance became a crimefighter
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You should do a Black Condor write-up!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Quality Comics
A Golden Age mystery man who possessed the power of flight, Black Condor was a member of the Freedom Fighters, a group that operated from World War II on. Richard Grey, Jr. (alias Tom Wright) was the first Black Condor.

Crack Comics #26, by Gill FoxHis story inspired by Tarzan, he was born on a caravan conducting a scientific expedtion through 1940's Mongolia. The caravan was later attacked by bandits and everyone was killed except for the newly born Richard. The child was rescued by a mysterious local race of super-intelligent Condors which took in and raised the boy.

A mountain hermit named "Father Pierre" eventually discovered the boy, and with much effort eventually civilized the feral child and taught him how to speak english. Young Richard tracked down and killed the Mongolian bandits who had killed his parents and then departed for America where he uncovered a plot to kill United States Senator Thomas Wright. He was too late to save Wright from assassination, and so decided to use his identity. He adopted the guise of Black Condor to fight crooked politicians, bootleggers and racketeers.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Bozo the Iron Man

Last edited by sgt.null on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Gary Concord, the Ultra-Man

Post by sgt.null »

Gary Concord Sr., a 20th-century scientist, was put into suspended animation in 1950 to awake to find his long sleep had given him super powers and he was in the year 2174.

He put his new abilities to work defeating the tyrant Rabborizon, the people came to call him the Ultra-Man, and he married Leandra, the daughter of the dictator he had defeated.

His son Gary Concord Jr. was born in 2214 and inherited his abilities and grew up to be the second Ultra-Man as well as the High Moderator of the United States of North America. (which extended from Canada to Brazil.)

Gary Concord jr. battled the warlord Tor and other menaces until he, like his father, was put into suspended animation until the 100th century where the traveled to the planet Almeer-5 and formed a super team made up of himself and three others called Avatar, Behemoth, and Metallica.

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Null, I think you suffer from Multiple Posternality Disorder.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

he's 5....5....5 dorks in ONE!
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Captain Ultra

When an elderly psychologist couldn't afford to pay plumber Griffin Gogol, he offers to cure Gogol's smoking habit via hypnosis. However, as Gogol later learned, the psychologist was an extraterrestrial, and the hypnosis unlocks Gogol's innate superhuman potential. Donning a clashing, colorful costume, Gogol became the superhero Captain Ultra; however, it is revealed he suffers from severe pyrophobia (fear of fire).

Captain Ultra's first appearance is as an applicant to the supervillain team called the Frightful Four; he is at first enthusiastically accepted by the other three villains, ecstatic at his large array of powers. However, when one of them began to light a cigarette in celebration, Captain Ultra faints in the presence of the match; he is promptly rejected.

An unauthorized television program informs Gogol of the super-hero team the Defenders. Captain Ultra is one of a large group to investigate by traveling to the Richmond Riding Academy on Long Island. There he works with a small group to stop a crime spree back in New York. Like most of the other applicants, he is not pleased with the Defenders and never really petitions the core group for membership.

Soon after, he moves to Chicago. He has since had a minor career as a solo superhero, often teaming up with heroes like Thor to battle minor villains.

He eventually overcomes his pathological fear of fire thanks to years of extensive therapy under the superpowered psychiatrist, Doc Samson. Gogol began a new career as a stand-up comedian, and battled Ekl'r, the Demon Without Humor. His comedy career takes him across the country. Super-heroics interfere with this, such as when the underground dirt creature 'Mud Pi', kidnaps his entire potential audience, the citenzry of 'Wash Basin', Texas. Captain Ultra manages to safely rescue them all.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dAN, I did not know that.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Well, it's supposed to be a secret. Plus, nobody really cares, seeing as how he's so lame.

Anyway, it's all in: Fantastic Four #177, Defenders #62-64, Thor #336. Marvel Comics Presents #50, Marvel Holiday Special 1993. and Iron Man vol. 4 #22 & #24. Hours of reading pleasure there!
Last edited by dANdeLION on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

___ wrote:Well, it's supposed to be a secret. Plus, nobody really cares, seeing as how he's so lame.
That's a damn good point. I've suddenly lost all interest...zzzzzzzzzzzz.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You think you're bored now? Wait till null remembers the Osprey! (that's a bird, you know...)
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

___ wrote:You think you're bored now? Wait till null remembers the Osprey! (that's a bird, you know...)
Poor bastard.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

___ wrote:You think you're bored now? Wait till null remembers the Osprey! (that's a bird, you know...)
thank you dan and tom - the Osprey looks awesome!

but there was a theme...

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”