Runes, Part One, Ch. 3: In The Rubble

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

dlbpharmd wrote: If "Tell her I have her son" was meant for Linden, why the need for Foul to repeat it to her personally later?
um ... Archetypal evil? Lord Foul is plain mean.

And "I see you are Linden Avery" is explained well enough in another way.

Consider you're Lord Foul. You're kinda board, so you're channel surfing, except the "channels" are all the people you can possess at will. You decide to see what's up with that Anele guy, so you turn on his channel. Poof. First thing you notice is that Anele is running from someone. You take control, turn him around, and see Linden Avery walking up to you. So you say

"I see you are Linden Avery."

Meaning: I was wondering who Anele was running away from, I see he has found you.

Or something like that.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

In re-listening to this part recently it occurred to me: does anyone else find it "highly coincidental" that Kevin's Watch is hit by a caesure and destroyed on the very day that Linden is summoned? She's barely there long enough to get her bearings, chat with Anele for a bit, and bam!! Caesures aren't that common in the Land, they're not everyday occurrences.
Spoiler
Later, Liand tells Linden that Mithil Stonedown is threatened by a caesure every few years.
The odds of this happening randomly are extremely small. So it seems clear that this isn't an accident. Who controlled that caesure? It has to be someone who is aware that Linden has just been translated. Who would know she's there, and who would want her dead? (other than THOOLAH members :-) )
Spoiler
We also find out later that it appears that Foul wants to use her, and that Esmer serves her (although his service is a rather double-edged thing) so likely it's neither of them. I'm guessing some of the Elohim, or Kastenessen...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Damn good question, Relayer. Overlooked.

If the ceasure was sent because of Linden, the intent may not have been harm. It may have been intended to drive Anele into Linden. It may have been intended to force Linden to use wild magic. It may have been intended to just make everyone despair.

(I have mentioned that I think ceasures are connected to summoning...)

This leads to another, bigger question. Does it serve Foul's purpose to bring Linden and Anele together?

If Anele is the Land's version of a walkee talkee, allowing Foul to talk to(and watch) Linden directly, the answer may be yes.

Foul is a card-carrying member of THOOLAH, is he not?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Wayfriend wrote:If the ceasure was sent because of Linden, the intent may not have been harm. It may have been intended to drive Anele into Linden. It may have been intended to force Linden to use wild magic. It may have been intended to just make everyone despair.
All of these are good possibilities. The key question is still who?
Wayfriend wrote:This leads to another, bigger question. Does it serve Foul's purpose to bring Linden and Anele together?

If Anele is the Land's version of a walkee talkee, allowing Foul to talk to(and watch) Linden directly, the answer may be yes.
LOL. Since they don't have cellphones and GPS, this may be the best Foul can do.
But you're right, and this is a good question. Anele does give Foul a way to keep tabs on Linden,
Spoiler
and to influence her. He might even be able to take action through Anele, though we haven't seen it yet.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

An overlooked issue? I think not! :D Earlier in this thread I said:
I also find it interesting that the caesure has been at Kevin's Watch before. What are the chances of these things randomly hitting the same spot twice? Clearly, it was coming for either Anele or Linden. After the Watch falls, it "dissapates or disappears," as if its purpose has been completed. If this is true, what was its goal before? Was there another person translated to the Land whom it was also seeking?

I also said:
SRD makes a point to say that she was struck on the head "again". He is purposely tying it to the previous times she was struck . . . in the last chapter. Clearly, there is something significant about this. Who else do we know has had her head conspicuously, repeatedly struck? Joan. Clearly, there's a connection between these two women that we have not yet understood. Joan's self-inflicted punishment has something to do with Linden's translation to the Land and her use of white gold.
So, we've got a series of coincidences surrounding the appearance of ceasures, tying Joan and Linden together in these curious moments.

Spoiler
In Distraction, Linden concludes that the caesures are caused by Joan hitting herself in the head, and by white gold. Why not suppose that Joan sent the caesure after her? Or whoever is controlling Joan? (Roger, raver, LF?) Since the normal tendency is for caesures to move things forward in time, maybe someone was trying to move Linden and/or Anele to the future? To a time when it would be too late to help? Or perhaps to a time where she couldn't meet Anele and commit the potentially dangerous actions she does later in the book.

I find it hard to believe that the purpose was to chase Anele into Linden. He could have ran anywhere. How did they know he'd foolishly run to the one place where he couldn't escape?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

If someone was controlling that ceasure, perhaps they wanted Linden transported to another time?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Malik, my bad. I had looked back thru the thread but missed your comment...

I guess the quesiton would really be: Why doesn't Linden wonder about the "coincidence" and why that caesure appeared right then? (besides the fact that she's got about 1,056,438 other things on her mind at that point, and that when she had woken up *that morning* she was happily living her life as a doctor and mother, the Land a distant memory...)

Return to “Last Chronicles”