What's for dinner?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

What's for dinner?

Post by Avatar »

Dinner is probably going to be bacon and fried mushrooms on toast. :D Cooking is still a bit hit or miss right now since half my kitchen appears to still be in bubble-wrap. The GF insisted that planting the garden and hanging curtains and pictures were more important than being able to open a drawer with the reasonable expectation of finding a saucepan in it. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

With winter approaching, what all did you plant at this time of year?

What's for dinner?

Post by Avatar »

Frost-hardy stuff. :D A lot of star jasmine (mostly in pots), ground and wall covers, (Uh, irish moss, creeping foxglove, some type of ivy), a bed of MR Lavender alternated with rosemary, sage, origanum, and thyme (and lemon thyme), clivia and agapanthus, and some other stuff. I dunno, I'm not a gardener...I just pay for it. :D

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote: Frost-hardy stuff. :D A lot of star jasmine (mostly in pots), ground and wall covers, (Uh, irish moss, creeping foxglove, some type of ivy), a bed of MR Lavender alternated with rosemary, sage, origanum, and thyme (and lemon thyme), clivia and agapanthus, and some other stuff. I dunno, I'm not a gardener...I just pay for it. :D
:lol:

What's for dinner?

Post by Avatar »

Well, dinner tonight (for me) was pan-fried pork filet, (loin?) sweetcorn and baked potatoes cut up and then quickly pan-fried. The GF had a vegetable pasta.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

What's for dinner?

Post by Skyweir »

We got our winter ❄️ panting mostly in now ~ beets, brussel sprouts, cabbage, spinach (actually silverbeet) is pretty much an all year rounder for us, carrots
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

What's for dinner?

Post by Skyweir »

Down under our agapanthus are played out by now. They’ll sit dormant throughout winter and flower again next summer.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

What's for dinner?

Post by SoulBiter »

Last night was turkey meatloaf with acorn squash. We killed a small plate of sushi as an appetizer, cause we are weird that way.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

What's for dinner?

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Last night was home-made buffalo chicken dip (90%) chicken, a handful of tortilla chips, 3 beers and 2 tequila shots.
:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Damelon
Lord

What's for dinner?

Post by Damelon »

Last night, we were going to go to a wood fired pizza place in Lake Geneva, WI, but when we got there, the road was under construction and we couldn't park close; a must since my wife doesn't have the range to walk since she broke her leg a few years ago. So we wound up going to Noodles & Co. It was allright, but it was no woodfired pizza.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

What's for dinner?

Post by Savor Dam »

Fired up the grill last night for chicken thighs kissed with applewood smoke and sauced sweet-and-spicy. Served with steamed broccoli for all, plus an ear of corn for Dam-sel.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote: Fired up the grill last night for chicken thighs kissed with applewood smoke and sauced sweet-and-spicy. Served with steamed broccoli for all, plus an ear of corn for Dam-sel.
It was yummy!
Although I believe you skinned the thighs? I see them being rendered down for schmaltz, which we are low on, but otherwise why were they skinned?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

What's for dinner?

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote: why were they skinned?
After the myriad iterations I have done what is domestically called "charby chick", I have found that getting crisp skin on a smoked-and-saucy thigh is not consistently achievable. Saturday's grilling of skinned, but still bone-in, pieces turned out better, nu?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:
Menolly wrote: why were they skinned?
After the myriad iterations I have done what is domestically called "charby chick", I have found that getting crisp skin on a smoked-and-saucy thigh is not consistently achievable. Saturday's grilling of skinned, but still bone-in, pieces turned out better, nu?
For me that’s debatable. I like chewy flaccid skin for the richness added on top of the dark meat. But, I’m not the only taste to be considered.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

What's for dinner?

Post by SoulBiter »

Future food. Crockpot will be rolling for about 24 hours making bone broth. Sure smells nice in here!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote: Future food. Crockpot will be rolling for about 24 hours making bone broth. Sure smells nice in here!!
I bet!
I use the Instant Pot for bone broth. Takes about 12 hours for two 5-quart batches in my 10-quart IP, using the same bones so they totally crumble at the end. An overnight chill, and then stove top simmering for about an hour. So, all told, it also takes about 24 hours for 10-quarts of bone broth.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

What's for dinner?

Post by SoulBiter »

Menolly wrote:
SoulBiter wrote: Future food. Crockpot will be rolling for about 24 hours making bone broth. Sure smells nice in here!!
I bet!
I use the Instant Pot for bone broth. Takes about 12 hours for two 5-quart batches in my 10-quart IP, using the same bones so they totally crumble at the end. An overnight chill, and then stove top simmering for about an hour. So, all told, it also takes about 24 hours for 10-quarts of bone broth.
Do you skim the fat and cook it down as tallow? I''m thinking of doing that and trying it.

What's for dinner?

Post by Avatar »

Dinner was a rump steak, a couple baked potatoes, and a gem squash all drowned in my justly famed red wine and balsamic pan sauce. :D

--A
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

What's for dinner?

Post by SoulBiter »

Dinner last night was left overs

Swiss Steak
Green beans
Acorn squash
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

What's for dinner?

Post by Menolly »

SoulBiter wrote:
Menolly wrote:
I bet!
Do you skim the fat and cook it down as tallow? I''m thinking of doing that and trying it.
I do chicken bone broth, both golden and brown, rather than make beef bone broth. I use the brown chicken stock in place of beef; it does not substitute for golden chicken stock but works great for a beef stock substitute.
By the time I use the poultry bones for bone broth, there’s not much fat left, and what is there is tainted by the aromatics I put into the Instant Pot, mostly root vegetables, to make decent schmaltz.
You can try rendering the beef fat from beef stock to make tallow, but from what I harvested in the past when I did it, it tended to come out grainy.

Brown chicken stock on the left, used as a substitute for beef stock
Golden chicken stock on the right

Return to “The Galley”