What's for dinner?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I buy mine pre-made from this place. They're a little on the pricey side, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to olive oil, plus a bottle lasts me about six months on average.

I got into good local olive oil when I was trying to cut back on butter, and the end result was I use both. :hithead:

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Tonight's Pesadik dinner was Crockpot Russian Chicken. SD made homemade mayonnaise for me to use in homemade Russian dressing. I used Bonne Maman apricot preserves, as they meet my personal level of keeping Pesach, and Goodman's kosher for Passover onion soup mix.

I added some chopped Manischewitz dried apricots and cubed pineapple before putting it all in the crockpot.

SD, who also usually does keto with me, then made daikon rice, which is k4p and worked perfectly as a base.

The spiralized and "riced" daikon, before cooking.

The cooked daikon rice.

The Russian Chicken in the crockpot, right before service.

Dinner is served.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I didn't discover these until last Saturday, which was during Passover, so I haven't made any of these recipes as of yet. However, I love cooking skows, and watching Chef Michael Symon cook in real time, including doing a lot of his own prep work on camera, is a real treat.

The show is broadcast live on the Food Network Kitchen Facebook page, and Chef does take questions from the comments during breaks in the cooking, so if you can catch it live, it's fun to potentially have your questions answered. It airs daily at 5 pm EDT/2 pm PDT.

If like me, you are playing catch up, all of the shows so far are on the Food Network channel on YouTube. Chef started in mid-March, so there are already over 30 episodes.

I'm enjoying them very much, and highly recommend if you also enjoy watching cooking shows. Especially those truly aimed towards pantry based, home cooking.

Cook Along with Michael Symon; Daily Dinner Day 1
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ever since I saw day 30 of Chef Michael Symon's #SymonDinners, his Mom's Pot Roast, I've been craving it. Usually I am not a fan of pot roast. The meat is usually way too cooked for me. But this reminded me of a long cooked ragout, and I just imagined I would love it.

Yesterday, SD spent the day making it, although the rib roast he dug out of the freezer turned out to be short ribs. It came out fan-damn-tastic and more than lived up to my expectations.

Thank you, SD. And thank you for sharing your Mom's recipe, Chef!

Here's Chef Symon's class he did on this dish:
https://youtu.be/6KhJ-6L0n7k

And here is the recipe, posted on Chef Symon's Facebook page.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The past couple of nights was trying a new-to-me recipe from a friend who is from deeper in the South than I am. She calls this dish Chicken Spaghetti. SD kept it low carb-ish by using Dreamfields.

It was quite tasty! Will definitely make it again

Tonight will be homemade low carb tomato basil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on zero carb bread.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I wanted to post yesterday, but felt I needed permission to share the recipe before doing so. Received the permission today.

Yesterday SD gave this recipe of deer's Mom a try, with some fresh rosemary added to the marinade, since I have a rosemary bush growing outside. Reading through it reminds me of tandoori chicken, but with Mediterranean flavors, rather than Indian. Unfortunately for me, SD decided to season it after the marinating with Creole seasoning, which I am not a fan of.

The chicken came out very tender and juicy, but I can't fairly comment on the taste, due to the other seasoning. Hopefully, we'll give it a try with a different seasoning, perhaps chili lime, or just salt, pepper, granulated garlic, paprika, and dill weed, which is my standard seasoning for chicken.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I believe tonight we are going to try this version of chicken spaghetti, using Dreamfields. Roasted asparagus as a side.

"Macaroni" Chicken with Cinnamon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

No photos, but I must give shout outs to the last two meals SD made.

Wednesday night was Dreamfields spaghetti, made in to what he called a Seafood Carbonara. There was no bacon in it, but the sauce was a lovely lemon flavor over a store bought mix of shredded shrimp, crabmeat and pollack. He served roasted asparagus alongside.

Last night was Italian sausage, onions, and red peppers. The links were perfectly juicy, and the vegetables were sweet and tender. They all piled up nicely on toasted Franz Bakery keto hamburger rolls.

Delicious, both nights!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SD used toasted keto hamburger rolls and made this Chilean sandwich, following suggestions in the comments to griddle the steak, rather than grill it. Man, it was great!

Chacarero Chileno
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Tonight was a full fledged Erev Shabbos dinner. A friend had knee replacement surgery last week, so I volunteered to cook for them tonight. I just doubled everything, so we had the same.

Chicken Matzah Ball Soup with Egg Noodles, Carrots, Parsnips, and Celery
Roasted Whole Chicken on my Showtime Rotisserie
Homemade Gravy from the drippings and some of the chicken soup
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Glazed Baby Carrots
Cinnamon Swirl Challah

The kitchen was a wreck by the time we sat to dinner. I used my Showtime Rotisserie for the chickens, kept the mashed potatoes warm in the smaller crockpot, used one of my Instant Pots to make the glazed carrots, used a pot for the soup, a separate pot to boil the egg noodles, a skillet to make the gravy, a half sheet pan with a cooling rack to allow the kashered chickens to air dry overnight in the fridge, my potato ricer to rice the cooked potatoes and garlic, cutting boards, and various implements of destruction. But, I now have everything rinsed and loaded in the dishwasher, or neatly stacked next to the sink to be washed tomorrow.

I've been prepping since Wednesday, so I'm beat. But, it came out yummy.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

This morning, Dam-sel did the remaining dishes from Menolly's Erev Shabbos dinner, while I turned some of the Cinnamon Swirl Challah into Best French Toast Ever.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The challah was yummy!

Tonight I believe I'm going to attempt to shred some of the planned over chicken, which SD will serve in low carb soft tortillas with eggplant refried beans and shredded cheese, and then top Christmas style with red and green enchilada sauce. Additional toppings of sliced avocado, chopped tomato, sour cream, and salsa to finish and call it good.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SD is also doing LCHF along with me. Dam-sel eats carbs, but doesn't complain about the lower carb meals we eat together. Tonight, we did a play on a seasonal pizza from a local pizza chain, Pagliacci's. The Peachza Primo is an olive oil and garlic base on the crust, topped with mozzarella, roasted pork loin, and sliced fresh peaches. The pie is then topped with arugula when it comes out of the oven, and is drizzled with a balsamic glaze.

SD made the crust using the crust recipe from Linda's Low Carb recipes. He brushed the crust with olive oil and garlic, then did mozzarella, fresh arugula, planned over sliced pork chops, and sliced fresh peaches. A drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar to top, but not a sweetened glaze.

Still a bit of a cheat, with the peaches. But what a cheat! Unfortunately, I chose to start an egg fast yesterday, so I didn't get to try it. But all reports say it was awesome!

The low carb crust, awaiting the olive oil and garlic base.

The baked pie, presliced.

A slice. Man, it looks awesome!
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I've got a real craving for spaghetti hoops. Whenever I visit the market I'm bringing back more tins than the last time. It might be the change in season.

So tonite it's spaghetti hoops and oven chips.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I'm guessing on this side of the pond spaghetti hoops are known as Spaghetti-Os?
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Yeah, I guess so.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Microwave dinners. Teriyaki beef.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Oven chips ( ) and curry sauce.
Last edited by Lazy Luke on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Taco salad.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Crockpot beef stroganoff from the planned over standing rib roast served over egg noodles. Used what was left of the homemade jus made with shank bones and a bottle of merlot instead of the store bought condensed beef broth called for. Worked really well. Was so rich it was all we had for the meal.

Return to “The Galley”