Richard Donner's Superman comic: Last Son

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Richard Donner's Superman comic: Last Son

Post by dlbpharmd »

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

That looks fantastic. Better perhaps than "Red Son".
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

wow.

I have never been a Superman fan (never will), but the art looks fantastic. Interesting story too.

hmmmm
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

All Star Superman has been good, too.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hate to be a party pooper, but the sample artwork doesn't look all that special to me. Very glossy, yes, but in a very generic way. I guess the real question is, can Donner tell a Superman story on paper with the same skill as he's shown on film?

By the way, Gunslinger, how was Red Son? I saw it in the bookstore and it looked very intriguing, but it was shrinkwrapped so I couldn't take a peek inside.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

well I for one have gotten very tired, very quickly of the 'busy, frenetic' style of comics over the last 5 years or so... This looked clean without losing style, and that image of SUpes pulling the meteor was great-- it looked real without being real. :2c:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Matrixman wrote:Hate to be a party pooper, but the sample artwork doesn't look all that special to me. Very glossy, yes, but in a very generic way. I guess the real question is, can Donner tell a Superman story on paper with the same skill as he's shown on film?

By the way, Gunslinger, how was Red Son? I saw it in the bookstore and it looked very intriguing, but it was shrinkwrapped so I couldn't take a peek inside.
It kicked tail. The idea as you may have surmised is that instead of the meteor carrying Kal-El to Kansas, it landed in the USSR, where he was discovered by the state..a state he eventually took over.

ImageImage
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, Guns, I'm even more tempted to get it now! :)
Usivius wrote:well I for one have gotten very tired, very quickly of the 'busy, frenetic' style of comics over the last 5 years or so... This looked clean without losing style, and that image of SUpes pulling the meteor was great-- it looked real without being real.
Point taken. I've been out of the loop since the mid-'90s in regards to comic book trends, so I'm not sure which titles or artists have been guilty of that frenetic style you refer to. But let me take a shot: X-Men? (Sorry, by default I tend to blame Marvel for overblown art.)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I too beleive that the current art style is doing a disservice to comics. There are hardly any stories anymore or characters that matter. The larger and more stylized the art, the less space there is for story.

It used to be that even without word ballons that you could tell what the story was...even emotions of the characters. Not anymore. It is a series of poses and flashy panels and broken panels.

sigh!

ImageImage
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'd blame Jack Kirby for that, but his stuff was so cool to look at, I just can't.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Kirby was a bit visually over the top, but stories still ruled during his time.

ImageImage
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Matrixman wrote:Hate to be a party pooper, but the sample artwork doesn't look all that special to me. Very glossy, yes, but in a very generic way. I guess the real question is, can Donner tell a Superman story on paper with the same skill as he's shown on film?

It kicked tail. The idea as you may have surmised is that instead of the meteor carrying Kal-El to Kansas, it landed in the USSR, where he was discovered by the state..a state he eventually took over.
Wow, that sounds cool - I'll start looking for it, thanks!

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”