Why does Hashi hate Holt Fasner???

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

dukkha
Ramen

Why does Hashi hate Holt Fasner???

Post by dukkha »

Min Donner, Warden Dios, and Hashi all HATE Holt Fasner, and want to end his control over both Mining Company and the MC Police. It's clear why Min and Warden hate him - they feel that he has used them for his own weird purposes. They feel that he is maintaining the uneasy peace with the Amnion for nefarious purposes, and they were horrified by his treatment of the mutagen immunity drug.

My question - why does HASHI hate him? It's clear that Hashi has no clear opinion about lying/truth, and he implies several times that he thinks Holt's mutagen immunity plan was a good one. Hashi's feeling about the Amnion peace is unclear, mainly because it is unstated.

So why does Hashi hate Holt? I really don't understand why Hashi goes along with Warden's plans--and seems to adore Warden--when there doesn't seem to be much reason for this. What do you think?
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

While the means to his ends are often morally grey, he never has anything but good intentions when you consider the bigger picture. He's an extremely intelligent man and although he may not seem to have any personal reasons to hate Holt Fasner, he will be well aware of the way in which Holt has manipulated humanity's progress to achieve his own goals and will know that he has to be stopped.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

He does not hate Holt, he just, as you said, adore Warden, also the only real function the UMCP serve is protecting Fanser. The last chapter is on this forum somewhere. Read that, and what Hashi says about Warden.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

i also got the feelin that fasner sumhow violayed hashi's intelligence or woteva in sum way. like the fact that such a man who wouldnt b equal 2 hashi or warden under normal circumstances has control over almost all human space, 4 no good reason other than he wants that control. i never saw hashi as sum1 who wanted sumthin jus coz.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think Hashi was frightened of Holt's power. After all, he witnessed the kazes.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I don't really think Hashi was frightened of anything... because I just don't think that's the way he thinks...
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I think that Hashi jumped at the chance to attempt to take down the Dragon. It was the perfect test for his intellectual abilities, and I think he really was shamed by his discovery of how deep Warden's game really ran. His contract to the free lunch was a horrible mistake, and this shamed him further. He decided he had to redeem himself for underestimating Warden.

Also, I know that the UMCP personnel were all supposed to represent Wagner's pantheon. I am nearly positive that Hashi represented Loge, or Loki, the trickster. He served Woton/Odin/Warden, but he was a manipulator, a cunning liar who used his skill, trickery, to serve his master. This doesn't preclude him from being one of the good guys though.
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Hashi could have many reasons to hate Fasner. He greatly admires Warden Dios, who may be the only other person as (or more?) cunning as himself. While he may lack Dios' strong moral fiber, he can also admire Dios for it. This is why he was so loyal to the man, and would be one reason to side with him against the Dragon. Also, Fasner really didn't care about anyone other than himself. He was willing to sell humanity for his own immortality, and that wouldn't be something Hashi would be especially grateful toward. I also believe that Hashi did have a sense of morality, though it wasn't necessarily most people's traditional sense of "good." He was an "end justifies the means" kind of person, which explains his ambivalence about lying. When "he implies several times that he thinks Holt's mutagen immunity plan was a good one," he could very well have thought that the plan made sense...from a purely objective viewpoint, but that doesn't mean that he approves of keeping humanity vulnerable to the Amnion.
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

Geez,

Does anyone NOT like Hashi?
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Lord Doom wrote:Geez,

Does anyone NOT like Hashi?
Everyone loves a smartass. Why do you think Bugs Bunny was the most pupular Loony Tune? (although in my own opinion, Daffy was funnier.)
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

actually Bugs Bunny is the one case in which I don't love the smartarse. I find him annoying and crude.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

How do you Brits feel about Loony Tunes? I have to say that I think they are marvalous.
Revan01
Servant of the Land

Post by Revan01 »

also, when hashi is talking to koina the first time, he does mention he isnt entirely immune to warden dios' charisma

which may have also impacted his response to holt

Return to “The Gap Series”