Gardens of the Moon [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

caam txted me today:
An ascendant is?
So she's still pluggin' along! :D Hopefully she'll get through it, then fall in love with the next couple of books.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Oh, yes. I'm still plugging away and I am really starting to enjoy GOTM.

Can I get some explanations of what a warren is? Fist has tried several times but I don't really understand if it is a portal to another realm, a travel tunnel, or what the hell it is. I can't really grasp the concept of a warren.

Help!
The King has one more move.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Maybe I can do a better job than that "Fist" guy.

Warrens are other dimensions. Realms. Planes of existence. Call them what you will.

There are many. We've seen, what, a couple dozen at least. I imagine we've only seen the tip of the iceburg. Shadow. Dark. Light. Sky. Fire. Mind. Healing. Ice. On and on.

Open a doorway into a warren - and adepts of a particular warren can open a doorway pretty much anywhere - and you can use the power that infuses it in a variety of ways. Ways specific to each warren.

Also, you can often go into a warren, travel a relatively short distance in it, and, when you return to the world, you've travelled a relatively long distance. Handy for getting around.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Caam, I think of warrens as a sort of parallel dimension. They apparently share common "walls", if you will, and at least some of the warrens share a "wall" with the real Malazan world.

And I think it's cool that we've got another recruit. :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Hmmm.

Onos, you explained it waaayyyyy better than Fist!! lol
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Well, try not to think ill of him. The Bloodguard lived a mere 2,000 years, after all. Barely enough time to master spoken language.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'm loving my reread of this!!! I'm past page 400 now.

And it brings two questions...

1) Why the hell did I... er, Onos T'oolan free Raest??? What would convince a T'lan Imass to do such a thing?? Laseen didn't have the Throne of the First Empire, and I can't imagine anything else that she could threaten them with or trade to them to get them to do that.

2) Why did Anomander show up when the Hounds killed Hairlock, and were about to kill Paran? Why was that his concern at all? What did he care that Shadowthrone was involved at all? He was up against the Empire. If he was aware of who Paran was, it only would have helped him to let the Hounds do their thing. But he wasn't aware of who Paran was,
Spoiler
or who he was going to become.
He just showed up to kill the Hounds.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Those are very good questions that I would like answered too. Btw, I'm on page 511 snf I am truly enjoying this book! Much better if you can get past the first 3rd of the book.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Finished! And I loved it!

Starting Deadhouse Gates today.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yaaaaay! Another convert! :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”