Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Post by Menolly »

Any special plans for Chr-stmas Eve and Day meals? As a Jew, I didn't grow up with any special traditions, but since we try to get together with my non-Jewish FIL to celebrate his holiday I try to make it festive.

I have learned about the Italian tradition of La Vigilia - Feast of Seven Fishes on Chr-stmas Eve, and would love to do that some day, but right now I think it's financially impractical for us this year.

I have about 20 overnight French toast recipes I rotate for our Chr-stmas morning breakfast. So easy to just place it into the oven while we sort through our hung stockings.

I always do a standing rib roast for Chr-stmas dinner, with my version of Yorkshire pudding (the recipe was acquired from an online friend on AOL). I have no idea if it's an authentic recipe, but it sure is yummy.

However, this year I am considering deep frying the rib roast. It's supposed to be really excellent, but we do like our traditional oven roasted rib roast, and that cut of beef is so expensive I just don't know if I want to risk taking the chance.

We snack on sweets, candies, and citrus throughout the day, so I'm not planning on doing dessert. But, home made eggnog is always served as we wind down the evening. I usually make Martha Stewart's recipe, but Alton Brown's also looks good and I may just give that a try.

What are your Chr-stmas meal traditions?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

For Christmas we usually go for the traditional turkey feast - like a Thanksgiving feast but with added goodies like eggnog and peppermint ice cream.

For Christmas Eve, though, we usually have an ethnic themed dinner - often Mexican. We will have a make your own taco or burroto bar, where each family member makes up their own with whatever items they most like. We will have beans and rice and things like that on the side - and of course, chips with a variety of salsas. Alternately we will do a stir fry where each person picks out what they want fried up. :)

This year I get the poor luck of getting to work second shift on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's. That happens veery now and then when you work in a hospital. :(

So I honestly do not know what we will do - and if we do have a special meal on either day, my husband will have to do a lot of the cooking since he does not have to work on those days. :?
Love as thou wilt.

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Menolly wrote:Chr-stmas
What's up with the spelling?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Menolly wrote:Chr-stmas
What's up with the spelling?
She does not type out fully God or Christ or, I'm assuming, any iteration of the Holy guy's names. I think she's gone over why in other threads.

------
W-ddl-y
High Lord Tolkien

oh, just curious.
I'll have to check it out.

Oh course, from the sounds of her potential menu I would prefer she tell me in person over a holiday dinner!!!!

:D

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Traditional Holiday Egg Nog Recipe

» C O C K T A I L N A M E
Traditional Egg Nog

» T H E R E C I P E

Traditional Egg Nog

12 eggs, separated
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c bourbon
1/2 c. brandy
6 c. milk
ground nutmeg
1 c. heavy cream

Beat egg yolks with sugar on low speed in a large bowl until mixed. At high speed, beat until thick and lemon-coloured (about fifteen minutes).

Add alcohol, one tablespoon at a time, to mixture. Cover and chill.

In the meantime, chill a 5-6 quart punch bowl. About twenty minutes before you will be serving your egg nog, stir the yolk mixture, milk, and 1 1/4 tsp. nutmeg in the bowl.

In another large bowl beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form.

In a smaller bowl (you can use the same beaters), beat cream at medium speed until stiff peaks form.

Using a whisk, gently fold egg whites, cream, and yolk mixture just until blended. Serve cold (no ice).

Makes 32 one-half cup servings.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Waddley has the gist of it. I expand on the traditional Judaic tradition of not writing out what is recognized by Jews as the name of HaShem to include all of the names I recognize as being in current use as such, or words that include such a name within it, such as Chr-stmas.

Fortunately, it only has to do with the written forms of the names. Otherwise, I would have had some real fun when I met Fist and his fiance last year!

Duchess, your Chr-stmas Eve ethnic dinner sounds like fun! I think that's what apeals to me about the Feast of Seven Fishes tradition. I hope y'all can work around your schedule and have a wonderful celebration this year.
High Lord Tolkien

Menolly wrote:Waddley has the gist of it. I expand on the traditional Judaic tradition of not writing out what is recognized by Jews as the name of HaShem to include all of the names I recognize as being in current use as such, or words that include such a name within it, such as Chr-stmas.

Fortunately, it only has to do with the written forms of the names. Otherwise, I would have had some real fun when I met Fist and his fiance last year!

Duchess, your Chr-stmas Eve ethnic dinner sounds like fun! I think that's what apeals to me about the Feast of Seven Fishes tradition. I hope y'all can work around your schedule and have a wonderful celebration this year.

Sounds very respectful.

But I notice you didn't mention the invitation to dinner I was fishing for......... :lol:

Image Image Image Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Really. :wink: She sounds like a fantastic cook, doesn't she? :D 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:blush:

Can you make it to Florida for the 25th?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Oh course, from the sounds of her potential menu I would prefer she tell me in person over a holiday dinner!!!!

:D
:LOLS:

I was thinking of trying to get Menolly to either adopt me or marry me.

(Her choice)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

drew wrote: I was thinking of trying to get Menolly to either adopt me or marry me.

(Her choice)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Drew, Beorn would love to have a sibling!

:::although I was hoping a second child would be a baby girl...:::
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Our Christmas eve will pretty much be the same template as Thanksgiving: a casserole, crackling cornbread, dressing w/ giblet gravy, and a couple vegetable dishes (I'm thinking we need some spinach).

I'm sure cranberry sauce will be involved. My grandparents love it, though I've not acquired a taste (yet).

We'll get a ham, as opposed to the turkey breast we got on Thanksgiving. It'll be from HoneyBaked. Yum!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

LF, you did hear about the recall on Honey Baked ham right after Thanksgiving?

Jeff Smith's (The Frugal Gourmet) Spinach and Artichoke Casserole is wonderful. I've redid it so it's made with chopped broccoli, as neither Beorn nor Paul are big fans of spinach, but the original dish is also really good.

Spinach And Artichoke Casserole

Recipe By : Jeff Smith in The Frugal Gourmet
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables Casseroles

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
14 ozs canned artichoke hearts -- drained
30 ozs frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
8 ozs cream cheese
2 tbsps mayonnaise
4 tbsps olive oil
6 tbsps milk
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/3 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese

If frozen artichokes are used, cook according to instructions. Do not overcook. Drain the artichokes, and place them on bottom of a 3-quart casserole. Squeeze as much moisture as possible from the spinach, and layer it on top of the artichokes. In an electric mixer blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and butter or oil until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the milk, and spread this mixture over the top of the spinach. Sprinkle with pepper and the cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

You can refrigerate this dish after putting it together and before baking it, but if it is chilled, slightly increase the baking time.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Menolly wrote:LF, you did hear about the recall on Honey Baked ham right after Thanksgiving?
Nope. I doubt I'll get an Illearth Ham, though. I'm sure the taste will be well worth any seizures/bacteria invasions!

It seems like everything's being recalled these days: fresh spinach, Taco Bell--now HoneyBaked Ham? Is nothing sacred?! I wish they'd recall the IRS.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yeah - food is getting weird these days. :( First the tainted spinach - then the huge salmonella outbreak in 18 (?) states that they think was either from lettuce or tomatoes - now the green onion thing. :(

I love fresh veggies. I do not like all of these contamination outbreaks. :(

They are having a holiday special on brie at Whole Foods. :) I picked some up yesterday. I love warm brie that friends have prepared and that I have occasionally gotten at restaurants. I also got a nice crusty French bread to cut up and toast to put the brie on. But what is the best way to warm it up? Method? Temperature? Etc. :)

(We should start a thread called "Ask Menolly". :wink: )

edited:

in this case I googled and found this:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cheese on small baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened. Serve with assorted crackers. 8 to 10 servings.
I think I will make it tomorrow night. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Lord Foul wrote:
Menolly wrote:LF, you did hear about the recall on Honey Baked ham right after Thanksgiving?
Nope. I doubt I'll get an Illearth Ham, though. I'm sure the taste will be well worth any seizures/bacteria invasions!

It seems like everything's being recalled these days: fresh spinach, Taco Bell--now HoneyBaked Ham? Is nothing sacred?! I wish they'd recall the IRS.
www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_ ... /index.asp

If you still go with the ham, just please be careful.
duchess of malfi wrote:They are having a holiday special on brie at Whole Foods. :) I picked some up yesterday. I love warm brie that friends have prepared and that I have occasionally gotten at restaurants. I also got a nice crusty French bread to cut up and toast to put the brie on. But what is the best way to warm it up? Method? Temperature? Etc. :)
Here's my favorite recipe for brie. I serve it with crackers, sliced apples and pears, and grapes. It is absolutely sinful...

Brie with Hot Pecan Caramel Sauce

1 5 inch wheel brie cheese
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 baguette -- sliced thin

Warm a sharp slicing knife in very hot tap water and carefully cut the top rind off the brie wheel. As a slicing guide, you can insert skewers into the cheese just below the rind. Let the knife blade rest on the skewers as you slice off the rind.

In a sauce pot combine the sugar and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half and sauce is dark brown. Remove from heat and add the pecans and cream. Stir well. Return mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about another 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter.

Place the brie on a large plate. While it is still hot, pour the caramel and pecan mixture evenly over the brie, letting some of the caramel run over the sides of the cheese. Surround the finished brie with baguette slices and serve.

NOTES : A brie wheel covered with a hot pecan caramel sauce looks lavish, tastes great and yet is simple to do. You can prepare the caramel several days in advance. On the day of your party, let the cheese warm to room temperature, reheat the sauce, and pour it on just as guests arrive. Baguette slices or whole-grain crackers make this appetizer complete.
duchess of malfi wrote:(We should start a thread called "Ask Menolly". :wink: )
:::blushing:::

Aww geee...
duchess of malfi wrote:in this case I googled and found this:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cheese on small baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened. Serve with assorted crackers. 8 to 10 servings.
I think I will make it tomorrow night. 8)

That will work too, but I like the recipe I posted above better...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I just tried to make a batch of fudge and man.... I blew it bad! I waited until it cooled down to 110 just like it said, but it was a brick!

I am going to use a different recipe than the one I tried. Any fool proof fudge out there?

* Impatiently waits for Menolly to reply*
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Candy making, along with pie crusts and bread, are things that allude me. I have some recipes that others say work great, but I have been afeared to try them.

Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1/2 pound butter
2 12-oz. pkg milk chocolate chips
1 12-oz. pkg semisweet chocolate chips
2 7-oz. jars marshmallow cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
2 cups chopped walnuts -- optional

Set chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, vanilla, Bailey's and nuts in a very large bowl. Set aside for later. Bring butter, sugar and evaporated milk to a boil and then cook slowly for 11 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour milk mixture over the reserved chocolate chip mixture and stir slowly to blend. (Do not use a mixer.) Pour into a well-buttered 9x13-inch or 10x15-inch pan and chill. Makes about 5 pounds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If you like large pieces of fudge, use the 9x13-inch pan. If you prefer smaller pieces, use the 10x15-inch pan.

Amaretto Fudge

1 (12 oz) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup amaretto
1 tsp almond flavoring
3/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds

Mix chips and milk in a bowl, cover loosely and microwave on High for 3 minutes. Stir until smooth then add flavorings. Pour into a foil lined, greased 8" square pan that has been sprinkled with the almonds. Let cool and cut into 1" pieces.

Cookies N' Cream Fudge
servings: Makes about 2 1/2 pounds

3 (6-oz) packages white chocolate baking squares
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups (about 20 cookies) coarsely crushed chocolate creme-filled sandwich cookies

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt white chocolate squares, condensed milk and salt.
Remove from heat; stir in cookies.
Spread evenly into foil-lined 8-inch square pan.
Chill 2 hours or until firm.
Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off foil and cut into squares.
Store tightly covered at room temperature or in refrigerator.
Variation: Use 3 cups of any of your other favorite cookies. Proceed as above.

Kahlúa Creamy Fudge

1 1/3 cps sugar
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup Kahlúa
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp pure vanilla

Line 8" square baking dish with foil. In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, marshmallow creme, milk, butter, Kahlúa & salt. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add both chocolate chips. Stir until melted. Add nuts & vanilla. Turn into your prepared dish. Refrigerate until firm. Cut in squares when cool. Makes about 2 3/4 pounds of fudge.

Plain Chocolate Fudge

I usually do plain, nuts and a pan with nuts, mini marshmallows and marachino cherries mixed in (drain first though).

1 1/2 bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
a dash of salt

Heat over med-low stirring often until melted and soft. Pour into a 11x7 pan lined with aluminum foil and chill about 2 hours.

Vanilla Fudge

2 1/2 cupd sugar
1/2 cup margaine or butter
1 can (5 oz.) Evaporated Milk
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème
8 oz vanilla-flavored candy coating, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla

Line 9" square or 13x9" pan with foil so that foil extends over sides of pan; butter foil. In large saucepan, combine sugar, margarine and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add marshmallow crème and vanilla coating; blend until smooth. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Pour into buttered, foil-lined pan. Cool to room temperature. Score fudge in 36 or 48 squares.
Refrigerate till firm. Remove fudge from pan by lifting foil; remove foil from sides of fudge. Using large knife, cut through scored lines. Store in refrigerator.

The one candy I have had unqualified success with is the following recipe. I have heard high humidity can affect candy making. Although I live in humid Florida, we run the a/c nearly year round, so I don't think it comes into play for me.

Microwave Almond Roca
Originally posted by Bronkswife, Dec 99

l stick butter
l cup sugar
l/2 tsp salt
l/4 cup water
l/2 cup slivered almonds or chopped
pecans (I use toasted pecans and
more because I sprinkle some on
top too)
4 oz chocolate chips, semi-sweet or
milk chocolate (I use more
and also use Ghirardelli milk
chocolate - oh, so good)

Rub top of large microwave bowl with butter. (I use the l quart Pyrex measuring cup with a handle). Place rest of butter in bowl. Pour sugar over butter. Avoid getting sugar on sides of bowl. Add salt and water. Microwave on high for l0 minutes or until the mix starts to turn a light caramel color. Don't overcook. While mixture is cooking, butter a cookie sheet and sprinkle with nuts. (I do this before I start cooking, and I use finely chopped toasted pecans).
When mix in microwave is ready, pour over nuts. Please be careful, you can get a deadly burn, and I wouldn't do this with children in the room. Let set for 3-4 minutes and then sprinkle w/choc chips. Let set l minute to melt and then spread over mix. (At this point, I score it with a serrated knife - before it cools completely. And I sprinkle more nuts on top.)
Cool and break into little pieces.
I have frozen this successfully in zip bags.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Menolly wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_ ... /index.asp

If you still go with the ham, just please be careful.
Yikes. Didn't know the hams were a high Class I health risk, but that article makes it quite clear. Informed my grandmother of it, and she's thinking we'll just order a cooked ham off QVC or somewhere.

Return to “The Galley”