Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I do overnight french toast casseroles instead of the egg casseroles. Here's a post I shared on another forum several years ago:

Apple French Toast
A delicious baked french toast recipe with a wonderful spicy apple syrup. It is prepared the night before and baked just before serving.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
9 slices day-old french bread (3/4" thick)

Syrup:
1 cup applesauce
1 10 oz jar apple jelly
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves

In small saucepan, cook brown sugar, butter and syrup until thick about 5-7 minutes. Pour into ungreased 13x9x2 pan and arrange apple slices on top.
In mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip bread into the egg mix for 1 minute and place over apples. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
30 minutes before baking remove from refrigerator and let sit out. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 min.
Meanwhile, prepare syrup. Combine all syrup ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook and stir until hot.
Invert french toast onto a serving platter and serve with syrup. Yield: 4 servings.

Blueberry French Toast
(Kimberly Amstutz)

12 slices day-old white bread, cut into 1” cubes
2 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, cubed
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup

Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 9"-x-13" baking dish.
Place cream cheese cubes over bread.
Top with blueberries
Sprinkle remaining bread cubes on top.
In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and honey or maple syrup
Pour egg mixture over bread.
Cover and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
Cover and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown and center is set.

For sauce:

1 cup sugar
2 TBS cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 TBS butter or margarine

Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan.
Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in blueberries.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until blueberries have burst.
Stir in butter or margarine.
Stir until butter is melted.
Serve sauce over French toast.

Note: Bottled blueberry syrup can be substituted for the homemade sauce.

Creme Brulee French Toast
Serves 6-8

2 TBS corn syrup (light or dark)
1/2 Cup butter (stick)
1 Cup brown sugar, packed
1 Loaf French or white bread, thickly sliced - with the crust removed.

5 Eggs
1-1/2 Cups half & half
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Grand Marnier or orange baking liqueur, 70% alcohol (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

In a small saucepan combine the syrup, butter and brown sugar; simmer until syrupy. Pour this mixture into a 9" x 13" baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Set aside.

Slice the loaf into thick slices, and place the syrup in the baking pan. Place the bread on top of the syrup.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, leave the casserole at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake at 350ºF uncovered, for 45 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately.

Serve with maple syrup and butter. (Can be reheated)

Eggnog French Toast
(Debbie/Doberlady)

1 TBS butter, softened
2 cups eggnog
2 cups milk
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
10 slices (about 3/4-inch thick) good quality white bread with crusts
1 cup maple syrup
Optional: 1 tsp rum extract
2 TBS powdered sugar

Butter the inside of a 2 1/2-quart baking dish and set aside.

With a large whisk, beat together eggnog, milk, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Arrange bread in the prepared baking dish, overlapping the slices. Pour batter over bread, then turn slices over, making sure that both sides are covered with batter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, bake the French toast in a preheated 400-degree oven about 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.While the dish is baking, warm maple syrup with optional rum extract over medium-low heat. Sift powdered sugar over French toast and serve with the syrup on the side. Makes 5 to 10 servings

Make-Ahead Chocolate French Toast
Recipe shared by: LyndaMc994

1 loaf day-old French bread
1 c milk chocolate chips or cinnamon chips
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Maple syrup, optional

Spray a 13x9" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut French bread into 6 slices, each 1 1/2" thick. Using a small sharp knife, cut 2" long slits in one side of each bread slice; cutting 3/4 of the way through the bread, to create a pocket. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of chips into the pocket of each bread slice; press to close. Place filled slices into baking pan. Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon & vanilla. Pour egg mixture evenly over
bread; carefully turn pieces over; spooning mixture in pan over top of bread. Cover pan with plastic wrap; refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 400°. Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer toast to plates. Serve with warm maple syrup, if desired. Serves 6.

Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Sauce

1 loaf firm white bread (Wonder bread)
10 eggs
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 1/2 cups half and half -- or milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
8 TBS butter -- melted

Strawberry Sauce:
2 cups sliced strawberries -- fresh or frozen
2 cups strawberry preserves

Cube bread and layer half in a 12-x-8.5-in pan. Cut cream cheese into small pieces and scatter across bread. Cover with remaining bread cubes. Mix eggs, half-and-half, maple syrup, and melted butter together well. Pour evenly over bread cubes and press bread cubes down to soak up egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve with fresh strawberry sauce or maple syrup.

To make sauce, heat sliced strawberries and strawberry preserves together (I use the microwave). Serve over french toast.

Some other teriffic brunch recipes that require a little more work assembling in the morning:

German Breakfast Pancakes
looks like Image
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Breakfast German

6 Eggs
1/8 tsp Salt
1 cup Flour -- unsifted
1/2 cup Milk
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 lb Butter
Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 450ºF.
Lightly beat eggs with salt. Gradually add flour to milk, blending until smooth. Add this mixture and the sugar to the eggs and blend well. Place the butter into the cast iron skillets and place them into the oven until butter melts. Brush butter up sides of skillet(s). Add the batter to the pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pancakes rise and puff and are lightly browned.
Lower the temperature to 400 degrees if pancakes are browning too fast. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately with one or more of the toppings suggested below.
Topping Suggestions: Fruit jam, fresh berries, sliced fresh fruit, sour cream, applesauce, sugar and cinnamon.
Or my favorite of whipped butter, fresh lemon wedge juice, and confectioners sugar, as shown in the photo.

Apple Pancake
looks like Image

Batter Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Topping Ingredients:
4 apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup raisins

Combine dry ingredients for batter, add liquids. Blend until smooth. Melt butter in oven in a 10” cast iron skillet. Pour apples, raisins, and brown sugar into hot butter in skillet, stir until apples are coated and brown sugar is melted. Return to oven until butter is hot again, add batter. Bake for 20 minutes at 425ºF. Cut pancake into serving pieces. Serves 6-8.

Bagels and More Tomato Melt
(Pam/FanofPern)

1 bagel or bialy, split and lightly toasted (I get an ET bagel)
2 TBS scallion cream cheese (can use any type of cream cheese), divided
2 slices sweet onion
2 thick slices good beefsteak tomato
2 slices muenster cheese (can use any sliced cheese)

Spread 1 TBS cream cheese on each half of the bagel or bialy. Put a slice of onion, tomato, and sliced cheese on each side, in stated order, on each half.

Broil both halves of the bagel until sliced cheese turns bubbly and melts.

Serve both halves open faced.

Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter & Jelly Syrups
(Belinda/BAR2969)

2 cups biscuit mix
1 cup mashed banana (2 to 3 ripe bananas)
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 TBS butter or margarine

Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl just until moistened.
Melt 1 TBS butter on a hot griddle.
Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto griddle.
Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
Turn and cook the other side of pancakes.
Repeat procedure with remaining butter and pancake batter.

Peanut Butter Syrup
(Belinda/BAR2969)

3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup peanut butter

Whisk together maple syrup and peanut butter until smooth.
Serve pancakes with peanut butter mixture and strawberry syrup.

Yield: 12 (4-inch) pancakes

Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook: 12 minutes.

Notes: I found this recipe in an old Southern Living Magazine that I picked up out of a freebie box at a yard sale. The recipe looked pretty simple to make and even though I did not have any strawberry syrup I made them anyway. They were delicious. My daughter and I both enjoyed them. :) If you have any leftovers, put them in a single layer on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze them. When they are frozen, place in an airtight container, and return to the freezer (they will keep for a month). To reheat, broil 6 inches from heat for 2 minutes on each side. :)

Blintz Casserole

Filling:
(1) 6 oz package cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 egg beaten
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Batter:
1/2 cup butter or margarine (room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter and flour a large casserole dish (9x13). In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, add cottage cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla, mix well and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well. Add flour and baking powder. Mix in sour cream and yogurt and add orange juice.

Pour 1/2 of batter into prepared casserole dish, layer in filling and then top with remaining batter. Bake 45-50 minutes until lightly browned. Slice into squares and serve with a dollop of sour cream and yogurt and fresh berry preserves
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I am planning my usual Xmas day eats. I will make a standing rib roast, salted, peppered and stabbed in multiple spots with garlic cloves shoved up in the meat. This will be slow cooked to rare and served with a side of mashed taters, prolly red mashed with butter, salt, pepper, half & half and sour cream, skin on from oven roasted taters roasted on a tray with garlic cloves rather than boiled. This will also accompany sauteed brussell sprouts with gravy made from the meat drippings and crimini mushrooms and spices as well as a meat topping made of and sour cream liberally mixed with horseradish. Moose will of course be dining on the bone left over from my feast.

I'm thinking egg scrambles and latkas for brekkies that day as well.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

All those breakfast ideas look fabulous, you guys. Alas, I'll be hosting a bunch of picky eaters. :roll: Batty and her father refuse to eat anything that's even the teensiest bit spicy, so sausage is out. Batty also won't eat peanut butter. Magickmaker and her father (same guy! :lol:) won't eat cooked tomatoes. And he's bringing donuts, so we'll already have more than enough sweet stuff.

I've found a couple of recipes online -- one for an egg-and-spinach casserole (Magickmaker thinks Batty will object to the spinach :roll: ) and one that includes frozen hash browns (which I'm sure *some*body will object to :roll: ). I think the one I'm going to make is called "Cheesy Strata," from the Better Homes & Gardens' Dieter's Cookbook. Basically, it's bread, eggs and cheese. I can't imagine anybody complaining about that. :lol: I'll keep you posted....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That's an awful lot of eye rolling there, ali.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yes, yes, it is. Welcome to my world, Orlion. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

You can improvise with that breakfast casserole. Replace the sausage with something non-spicy. Use relatively calmly-seasoned ground beef, or perhaps ground turkey seasoned with the "stuffing quad" [sage, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram]. Or chicken that has been sauteed with onion, garlic, and the mildest of green chiles. Or just use lots of crumbled bacon. Bacon makes everything taste better. :)

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Tomorrow's pork, a-brining.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Over here it's all about Christmas Eve since that's when Santa comes to us.

Traditionally the in-laws, my parents and my sister are here for dinner. This year we had a bufett. We started with a creamy cauliflower soup. I also prepared:

• meat balls filled with mozarella cheese
• smoked salmon with honey-mustard-dill dip
• spicy bulgur salad
• Quiche Lorraine
• roast onion-mustard butter
• cream cheese-olive cream
• crostinis, white bread and multigrain bread
• chicken liver paté
• caramelized red onions in balsamico
• pork roast filled with sun dried tomatoes and rosemary and wraped in bacon strips
• southern fried chicken drumsticks (the Colonel could would've been proud)
• various cheeses and grapes

The dessert was white and brown chocolate mousse served on a bed of wild berry coulis with a chocolate "sail" stuck in it.

The sisters also provided a superb potato salad with watercress, cherry tomatoes and smoked mackarel. Delicious.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh gosh...
Looking forward to your photos of all of this, Vader!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

The prime rib has been pan seared, garlic infused, salted, peppered and is now in the oven with some white onion, more garlic and half an inch of beef stock simmering underneath it.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

My prime rib goes in as soon as the cheesecake comes out. Going with the Kenji low-and-slow with a 550 finish to achieve both a uniform medium-rare (no gray overcooked edge) and a crisp exterior sear.

Breakfast was the blintz casserole that is the last recipe on the first post of this page. Oh my...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:Oh gosh...
Sorry to say but this won't happen as my camera is fuX0red again. But I'd be proud to share any recipes on request.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:Breakfast was the blintz casserole that is the last recipe on the first post of this page. Oh my...
Oh my???
Vader wrote:
Menolly wrote:Oh gosh...
Sorry to say but this won't happen as my camera is fuX0red again. But I'd be proud to share any recipes on request.
Well bummer.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:Breakfast was the blintz casserole that is the last recipe on the first post of this page. Oh my...
Oh my???
Attention sponge, you need not fish for praise. Rest assured that was a positive comment. Dam-sel, Dam-et and I liked it and ate the whole pan with some freshly homemade strawberry preserves from a fellow educator from Dam-sel's school.

My only departure from your recipe (I never follow exactly, nu?) was to use pineapple cottage cheese in the filling. Nice touch.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

The Cornish hens were outstanding. Here's a link to the recipe: www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baked-Cornish-Hens

I used apple juice instead of the white wine.

The Cheesy Strata also turned out well. Here's the recipe:

3 cups dry bread cubes (I used unseasoned stuffing mix)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (the recipe calls for shredded Velveeta or American cheese, but I used a lowfat Mexican cheese blend)
4 beaten eggs
1 3/4 cups skim milk
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
(I added 1/2 teaspoon oregano since I changed up the cheese)

Place 2 cups of the bread cubes in an 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Top with shredded cheese, then with remaining bread cubes. Thoroughly stir together eggs, milk, onion, salt and dry mustard. Pour evenly over mixture in pan. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Bake, uncovered, in 325 degree oven about 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.

I thought for sure I'd get flak for adding the oregano -- but instead I got it for the onion. No, really -- 1 tablespoon of onion and somebody complained. :crazy:

EZ Board Survivor

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Christmas dinner highlights:

A huge roast ham, bought raw and scored and cooked by my Dad with honey glaze.

A roast chicken with blackberry glaze.

Carrot salad with celery, raisins and an Italian dressing with olive oil and grapefruit.

Fresh picked peas in a dill and sour cream dressing.

New potatoes with mint and butter.

Dad's yearly sherry trifle with homemade raspberry jam, whipped cream and strawberries.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Reverse order of what I prefer to do, but since we ate out as the kitchen is really not in any condition for festive meal cooking, I had rib roast for Eve and seafood for Day.

Eve was the bone-in 24+ oz rib roast at Cody's Roadhouse with their house salad with Bistro/Chipotle ranch. The servers call it different things; it is the dressing served with their fried green tomatoes and is not usually a salad dressing offering. But we find both their regular ranch and their blue cheese way too...mellow? Not sure why we don't care for either of those, but the bistro ranch works great. Also had a sweet potato with cinnamon butter, and a couple of rolls, also with cinnamon butter. The four of us (hyperception's dad is visiting) shared an onion ring stack to start. They are some of the best onion rings I've had.

Server rumor, which was told to us at the same time as the rumor about TooJay's closing by two servers at two different establishments and turned out to be true about TooJay's, is that Cody's will soon be closing here in Gator Town. With the tough football season the Gators had this year, I can understand if they do, but we will hope they pull through, both for all the employees who work there, and for our own enjoyment.

Day was spent at Amelia's Cucina Casalinga, where I was really tempted by one of the holiday specials of the braised large lamb shank:

But, I wasn't in the mood for braised meat, and after the rib roast the day before, was in the mood for seafood. While not on the menu, I did see that they did a sauteed calamari dish and they did a shrimp fra diavolo, so I asked if a calamari fra diavolo was possible. Our server inquired if I wanted especially spicy, and when I nodded he ordered it as calamari arabiatta. I am not sure if the terms are interchangeable, but I do think of them as the same thing most of the time. One of the best versions of the dish, ever. The calamari was the most tender I ever had.

I started with a bowl of Zuppa di Escarola, and the meal came with a house salad served with a house vinaigrette and bread bowl. Iced tea, of course.

Overall, two lovely meals in good company.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Whoa, I am drooling at some of these foods...

My family was spoiled because my hubby and his brothers are amazing cooks. So brothers-in-law cooked most everything:

They brought tasty pork quesadillas and chicken quesadillas made in homemade tortillas (using chapati flour for the whole wheat component). When I asked which kind of cheese they used, the answer was "quesadilla cheese." Of course!

Once they got here, they made the traditional sweet braided bread, which this year was crammed not just with chocolate chips and maraschino cherries, but also jelly beans (quite tasty) and topped this time not with a sugary icing by cherry-flavored homemade pudding (mmm).
And also:
Cherry juice made from a concentrated syrup they found
A juicy ham baked for supper
Green Bean Casserole

It was really fun, and I looked forward to knowing I didn't need to cook for a whole day.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:
Vader wrote:Sorry to say but this won't happen as my camera is fuX0red again. But I'd be proud to share any recipes on request.
Well bummer.
Well, I could save a few pics. You can find them in "my" picture thread.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Here's the planned menu for Friday so far...

Appetizer
Baked Brie en croute with Pumpkin Butter served with sliced apples and pears
(I still need to purchase ingredients for this, though)

Entree
Standing Rib Roast home dry aged with Red Wine au jus

Sides
Yorkshire Pudding
Carrot Souffle

Dessert
Pumpkin Pie

Return to “The Galley”