Chr-stmas Eve and Day Fare

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

We had smoked turkey and a ham. Mashed potatoes and corn and green beans.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Malik23 wrote:
Menolly wrote: The Cabernet au jus was awesome. So much better than any au jus I've had in restaurants. And the crust on the roast was perfect, while the green beans and mashed potatoes rounded out the meal.

Yum...
You're my new hero. :) That sounds amazing.

*blush*

Thanks Malik.
Malik23 wrote:I've got to try to make a standing rib roast. That's my new Holy Grail of cooking meat. I have mastered the ways of the grilled steak, and the smoked ribs, and the best damn hamburgers on the planet (really), but this is the final beef achievement still eluding me.
You got me thinking (uh-oh)...

If I can make it to the camping trip, and if we could justify the cost to experiment, I'm thinking the traditional Dutch Oven campfire cooking method, where you put coals underneath and on top of the lid can probably be easily adapted to cook a standing rib roast...

I think the hardest part would be aging the roast for the three days, unless the cabins had refrigerators.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

age it at home before you go? ;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I was thinking that, but then the moisture in an ice chest would probably defeat the purpose, would it not?
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

heh, you're the expert! :D
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

heh back at ya!

Far from it!!

This sounds like a question for BGB or Luci's Ger!
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

:?:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The one I have is way too tiny for a standing rib roast. It barely holds a six pack...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Man, you guys are light years ahead of me in cooking techniques.... Tho if you're game to try a box oven on the camping trip, Menolly, I know how to make one. :wink:

Um, lessee, Yule dinner was pretty good. I forgot to troll the Internet for Cornish hen recipes...so I used one from the Better Homes & Gardens New Dieter's Cookbook, which I liberated from Mom's house in October (I've found some surprisingly decent recipes in there). Same theory -- cut the hens in half lengthwise with kitchen shears -- but instead of cooking them on the bed of rice, I cooked them on orange wedges and made an orange-garlic sauce to go with. I made the sauce according to the recipe, but it seemed to be missing something; I'll have to play around with it next time I make it.

BGB, I'm sensing a theme with your cookie tin -- you don't like peanut butter, by any chance, do you? :lol: I made a bunch of cookies, etc., this year, too, for gifts, and have spent the last four days snacking on the leftovers (bleah)....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:Man, you guys are light years ahead of me in cooking techniques.... Tho if you're game to try a box oven on the camping trip, Menolly, I know how to make one. :wink:
Ooo...like a solar oven, ali?
Or one of those types we made years ago in Girl Scouts?
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I've heard of doing such, Es. But it wouldn't be for standing rib roast...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Es, that's just weird. 8O

Menolly, yup, same as in Girl Scouts -- big ol' wine box, and lots of heavy-duty tinfoil and duct tape.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

I've done prime rib, lobster, etc on roadtrips, and always heated leftovers there for lunch when I was drivin a truck. (don't try this with an old 67 Chevy, heh, unless you like "diesel food" :wink:)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*nod*

But those items all cook at an even temperature, Es. Rib roast requires changing the temp for a decent crust.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Menolly wrote:

If I can make it to the camping trip, and if we could justify the cost to experiment, I'm thinking the traditional Dutch Oven campfire cooking method, where you put coals underneath and on top of the lid can probably be easily adapted to cook a standing rib roast...

I think the hardest part would be aging the roast for the three days, unless the cabins had refrigerators.
Oh my god, that would be the Coolest Camping Trip Ever. I often look back on my camping trips in terms of the meat I grilled. Seriously. I remember this one time when the wood was too wet and wouldn't produce a roaring fire with lots of hot coals. So my camping buddy and I had to continuously feed the fire with little sticks. By the time we decided to say "F*&% it" and put meat on a cool fire, we realized we were in for something special. It took hours, but we had ourselves some slow-cooked, smoked steaks that were probably the best I've ever had. They were so tender and smokey, I'll never forget them.

Hell, he'd probably insist upon joining us if I told him you're going to try it out in the woods. That's such an intriguing idea ....

Btw, the best turkey I've ever had in my life was made by my mother outside on a wood fire. It was so smokey and tender. Nothing else like it.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Malik23 wrote:
Menolly wrote:

Oh my god, that would be the Coolest Camping Trip Ever.
...snip...
Malik23 wrote:Hell, he'd probably insist upon joining us if I told him you're going to try it out in the woods. That's such an intriguing idea ....

Even if I can't make it to the trip, you have the basic idea to attempt it yourself. I would want a full report though.

:)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Figured it is time to bump this thread, since Yule is tomorrow.
Any special plans?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Gonna try making both pork roast with caraway *and* Cornish hens with wild rice stuffing this year. We'll see how it goes. I'll be doing the big meal on Christmas Eve, as Batty and Shara_Lunison aren't arriving 'til Friday and Magickmaker works 'til midnight that day.

Also, it looks like I'm hosting a Christmas Day brunch. 8O Gonna find an egg casserole recipe, I think. The girls' father is bringing donuts (like we need more sweets on Christmas...).

EZ Board Survivor

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Here is a link to a Christmas casserole similar to one I've made before:
allrecipes.com/recipe/christmas-breakfast-sausage-casserole/
However, to make it like I remember it, where the above recipe calls for milk, I suggest you use cream instead, or a 50/50 blend of cream and whole milk.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown

Return to “The Galley”