Euthanasia?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Euthanasia?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Avatar wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:44 pm Well, c'mon, a humorous one at least. (Albeit only to me. :P )
Gotta admit, Logan's Run was also the first thing that came to mind. ;)

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Euthanasia?

Post by Skyweir »

I wasn't really being serious...just an over-reaction to people deciding that it's not up to me whether I want to end my suffering (in the event I was suffering). :D

--A
:LOLS:

Ahhh a playful jest 😂😂😂

To some such an approach is acceptable in its pure pragmatism lol 😂 … in fact some out there plan destructive means for remedying over population and the socio-economic and environmental pressures the human plague cause.

Indeed Dom Tarrant did that very thing (per his environmental anarchist manifesto) when he attacked a Muslim mosque in 2019.

Ashamedly, I have a cousin who mired in a fusion of right wing conservatism and environmental anarchism hopedCOVID would be the one to wipe out a third of the human populous. He was hoping for the desolation of much of the developing world. …

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Takes all kinds, don’t it?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Euthanasia?

Post by Skyweir »

Both Tarrant & my cuz expose their bias in both thought and deed.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald

Euthanasia?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Pope on euthanasia, abortion: ‘You don’t mess with life’

Pope Francis meets French President Emmanuel Macron in Marseille on Sept. 23, 2023. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE — Pope Francis condemned both abortion and euthanasia Saturday, saying about end-of-life issues that the lives of the elderly must not be “cancelled” by an ideological colonization that seeks to eliminate pain.

Pope Francis spoke to journalists on board his Sept. 23 return flight from Marseille to Rome, after making a brief overnight visit to the city to close a conference on the Mediterranean that focused largely on migration, including several bold appeals from the pope for a more compassionate and welcoming stance in Europe.

Asked about a controversial law France is preparing to consider on euthanasia, the pontiff, who condemned the practices of abortion and euthanasia in his final Mass on Saturday, said he did not address the issue in his private conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron earlier that day.

He said he and Macron discussed the issue of euthanasia during one of Macron’s three previous visits to the Vatican, and on that occasion, “I told him my view, clearly, [that] you don’t play with life, not at the beginning, and not at the end. You don’t play with it.”

“It’s not just my opinion, it’s safeguarding life, because then, you end up with the politics of non-pain, a humanistic euthanasia,” he said. He once again referenced a 1903 futuristic romance novel titled The Lord of the World by a British convert to Catholicism which, Francis said, depicts “how things will be in the end. It takes away the differences of everyone, and also, they take pain, etc., and euthanasia is one of these things.”

“Sweet death, selection before birth. This shows how this man saw current conflicts,” the pope said, saying, “today let’s be attentive to ideological colonization that ruins human life and goes against human life.”

(click for more)
Spoiler
[…]

Speaking of the plight many elderly people who are lonely or abandoned face, he said, “Today the lives of the elderly are cancelled,” and that when youth don’t speak to elderly in their lives, “they are cancelled … they are old, they are useless.”

“You don’t mess with life … whether it’s a law that prohibits a child from growing in the womb” or euthanasia, he said, saying to care for someone in suffering and near death is “something human, human. It’s compassion.”

“Science has arrived to making some painful illness less painful with medicine. You don’t mess with life,” he said.

[…]

The pontiff was also asked about his outspoken messages in favor of migrants during his brief visit and whether, after ten years of repeating the same thing since his July 2013 visit to the Italian island of Lampedusa, a primary destination point for migrants from North African seeking entry into Europe, he feels he has failed.

“I would say not. I’d say that growth happens slowly. Today there is awareness of the migratory problem. There is awareness. There is also awareness that it is something that has arrived to the point of a boiling potato and you don’t know how” to handle it, he said.

The pope condemned situations in which migrants are treated “like a ping pong [ball], sent back. And it is known that many times they end up in lagers, they end up worse than before.”

“It’s a reign of terror. They suffer not only because they need to leave, but the suffer because of the reign of terror there, they are slaves. We can’t, without looking at things, send them back like a ping pong ball,” he said.

Pope Francis again insisted that migrants must be “welcomed, accompanied, promoted and integrated … but don’t let them fall into the hands of these cruel people.”

He said he invited the head of the Mediterranean (group) Saving Humans to attend the upcoming Synod of Bishops on Synodality, saying the organization has “terrible stories” to tell.

Referring to his visit to Lampedusa, Francis said he did not even know where the island was when he decided to go, but had read stories and in prayer felt a tug saying he needed to go.

“In prayer I heard inside, you have to go there, as if the Lord led me there,” he said.

Wosbald

Euthanasia?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

New York bishops call assisted suicide bill ‘dangerous path’

A euthanasia advocate who suffers from an incurable condition that atrophies her muscles and has left her breathing through a ventilator, lies in bed at her home in Lima, Peru, Feb. 7, 2020. (Credit: Sebastian Castaneda/Reuters via CNS)

NEW YORK — While New York legislators argue that assisted suicide legislation would allow terminally ill patients to die with dignity, the state’s Catholic bishops on March 5 countered that it would put the state on a “dangerous path that contaminates medicine and turns the notion of compassion on its head.”

Introduced in the New York State Senate in January 2023, the “Medical Aid in Dying Act” would allow terminally ill patients — those with an incurable or irreversible condition that will produce death within six months — to request medication to end their life.

Similar versions of the bill have been introduced and failed in the New York Senate over the years. This latest version is sponsored by Democrat Brad Hoylman-Sigal and is co-sponsored by 22 other Democrat senators. There are 63 state senators in New York.

The New York State Catholic Conference, which is the public policy arm of the New York bishops, in their March 5 statement against the legislation argued that the practice of assisted suicide is wrong, and that this bill in particular does not contain adequate safeguards.

Dennis Poust, the executive director of the conference highlighted that the bill forces physicians to “knowingly lie” on patients’ death certificates because the bill mandates the underlying illness be listed as the cause of death, not the assisted suicide medication. Poust also highlighted that the bill does not require the patient go through a mental health evaluation, and instead only happens if ordered by the doctor.

(click for more)
Spoiler
“Well-researched euphemisms and poll-driven rhetoric won’t change reality,” Poust said. “This idea would start New York State on a dangerous path that contaminates medicine and turn the notion of compassion on its head.”

Poust’s statement comes at a time when assisted suicide legislation has become prominent nationwide. Minnesota, Massachusetts, Illinois, Indiana, Florida, and Tennessee all states considering some form of assisted suicide legislation, drawing the ire of Catholic leaders. Just yesterday, Virginia lawmakers defeated an assisted suicide bill, and Maryland lawmakers did the same last week.

[…]

The New York bill would require the patient to make an oral request and submit a written request that must be signed and dated by the patient and witnessed by two adults who aren’t the patients attending physician, consulting physician, or mental health professional. The patient can also rescind the request at any time.

As mentioned, it also stipulates that if the patient’s physician must refer the patient to a mental health professional if they determine the patient may lack decision-making capacity. If the mental health professional determines that they don’t, the patient will not qualify for assisted suicide.

The bill also protects health care professionals from civil or criminal liability, or professional disciplinary action by any government entity for “taking any reasonable good-faith action or refusing to act,” including engaging in conversations with the patient about the risks and benefits of end of life options, referring them to another health care provider, being present when the patient administers the medication, or refraining from acting to prevent the patient from taking the medication.

Health care professionals will also not be required under law to participate in providing the medication, according to the proposed bill’s text.

A “justification” section of the bill’s summary states that assisted suicide is a patient’s right.

“These patients, when mentally competent, should be afforded this right. Patients should not be forced to relocate to another state or to leave the country to control how their lives end,” the bill summary states. “Patients seek to die with dignity, on their own terms, typically in their own homes, surrounded by their family and other loved ones.”

Poust, meanwhile, said legislators should pursue alternatives.

“New York State should instead focus on improving palliative care, which is woefully underutilized and provides true compassion and death with dignity to those at the end of life,” Poust said.

Return to “The Close”