Euthanasia?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

beacause in the Church the assumption is always for life.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

But that is assuming that he does not have the capacity to make his own decision, and that someone else will be making it for him, perhaps against his will. If he is a devout Catholic and his Catholic family are clustered around him, yes, they should be counseling him against that action, because they feel it is a grievous sin.

I don't doubt that the man is situationally depressed. But if he is found to be of sound mind despite that, he should be able to take action to end his own life, whether it be judged a sin or not.

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Absolutely DW.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

sgtnull wrote:so we should allow depressives to die because what they think life should be isn't? how far will you carry this? if someone loses their legs and doesn't want to live anymore? if someone is really fat? or if someone has a bad case of acne? when you allow for slef murder you open the flood gates. so how bad off does someone have to be? is your level the same as my level? do we go the strictest level or allow for full access? is it right to tell the quad he can die, but not the depressive? is the quad suffering from depression that effects his judgement?
If they want to die because of their acne, let them.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

that wa a joke, right warmark?

teens have large number of suicides. do we extend this logic to include their right to die?

it is my contention that anyone in the right mind will want to live, no matter the odds stacked against them. maybe that is why i can not see you sides of the argument.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Your contention is dead (no pun intended) wrong.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good posts folks. I thought I was surprised at Cail's position on this, but I'm not actually now that I think about it.

And for what it's worth, I agree with Warmark. It's your life, you can do what you want with it. I'm not even too concerned about how sound your mind is. It's yours. Nobody else lives your life, nobody else feels what you're feeling. Laws against Euthanasia and suicide are the last vestigaes of monarchial/feudalist control, when you were the property of your overlord.

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I have to agree with Av and crew. It's my body and I should have the right to do what I want with it and to it and that goes for my mind as well.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn straight. :lol:

--A
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Avatar wrote:Anything less, the denial by the state of the right to self-determination, equates to nothing less than slavery.
What he said.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

well lets have a hugfest. most of you wouldn't lock up a man with tb who refuses not to infect others, but you are all for anyone who wants to kill themselves. and you would let teens or depressed themselves off at an equal rate. hoo-ha.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Hey, I would lock up a guy who had a deadly disease that was willfully infecting others!

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I would let someone pull the plug on themselves, yes, because a person has every right to be in control of every aspect of their body. The decision to euthanize is one that only majorly affects the person asking for the euthanization.

On the other hand, TB guy has a major affect on others. Working in food service he has the perfect position to spread a sickness around. I don't think the two are comparable situations. (That said, I am with Cail and Syl on that position to respect the confidentiality of the patient. )
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, I understand patient confidentiality but when it imposes a health threat to others willfully done by the carrier of a disease then isn't it akin to assault?

And Wadds you are absolutely right, they are not the same subject at all...

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Although I feel suicide should be something we can do legally and freely, I'm glad that there's suicide prevention because people do recover from dangerously depressed states. If there were no laws and such against suicide, there'd I assume be no prevention and no way of stopping it. I can believe that the guy in question will never feel the urge to live again, but for how many cases of suicide is that actually true?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

sgtnull wrote:that wa a joke, right warmark?

teens have large number of suicides. do we extend this logic to include their right to die?

it is my contention that anyone in the right mind will want to live, no matter the odds stacked against them. maybe that is why i can not see you sides of the argument.
No, not really.

Of course, its rediculous to want to kill yourself because of acne, howeer if thas what they want, who am i to stop them?
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

because someone who wants to die because of a temporary condition is not in their right frame of mind. and unable to adequately speak for their own actions. normal, balanced people do not want to kill themselves.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Holsety wrote:Although I feel suicide should be something we can do legally and freely, I'm glad that there's suicide prevention because people do recover from dangerously depressed states.
Good post.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

suicide, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

May be, but I'm not arrogant enough to tell someone they can't off themselves. I will tell them why they shouldn't.

Return to “The Close”