Best Post in a TC Forum

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Your vote is for:

Poll ended at Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 am

HLT - Is anyone disappointed in Runes
77%
DukkhaWaynhim - Why doesn't anyone care about Pietten?
23%

Total votes: 22

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Best Post in a TC Forum

Post by [Syl] »

Who do you think made the best post in a Thomas Covenant related forum?
Last edited by [Syl] on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Dukka Wayhim.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:35 pm Post subject: Why doesn't anyone care about Pietten

" I don't remember the exact Covenant quote - "the way to hurt a man who has nothing left is to give him back something broken." That's what Foul does best, because it creates the mindset that the Creator names to Covenant (or was it Linden?) as 'the habit of despair' [he was referring to Kevin Landwaster].

To me, that twisting of intent / purpose is one of the central themes of TCTC. It also extends to what I believe is a huge recurring theme in *all* of Donaldson's works, the theme of flawed people and their struggle with/against redemption.

Pietten was taken and twisted at an early age by the Ur-Viles, so he cannot be blamed for his 'malady'. However, his adult actions carry too much purpose, too much volition for us to excuse him. I believe it was made clear that Pietten knew what he was doing, and loathed himself and others for it. That he was conscious of his acts and did them anyway made Foul's work complete - he was a tool of Despite, but seemed to be making his choices out of free will.

About the Ramen: they swore to keep Pietten as their own, which was an oath as absolute as the Ranyhyn's pledge to send one of their own to Lena each year - inviolable. The Ranyhyn's oath was killing them, because to meet that oath they had to expose themselves instead of hiding in the Southron ranges like the Ramen wanted them to do. Similarly, the Ramen's oath was lethal to them - by keeping Pietten they endangered their hiding places and the Ranyhyn themselves. All this death and despair, because TC extracted oaths from them - I'm sure Foul laughed the whole time.

The acts of imperfect people can create Hell on earth - and often these acts are undertaken with the best intentions. Covenant was trying to appease his guilt over Lena by giving her something special when he set in motion the decimation of the Ramen & Ranyhyn. This is what Foul likes to do - take our hopes, fears, guilt - our motivations - and turn them dark.

For me, what makes SRDs works so memorable and visceral is that he presents flawed people challenging their fates/predispositions, and we get to watch them digging themselves alternatingly out of and further into their own personal tortures. That's why black vs. white pulp fantasy no longer does it for me.

DW"
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

here's another one, if allowed...I originally put it in SRD which was not correct:

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I nominate High Lord Tolkien's thread:

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:03 pm Post subject: Is anyone disappointed in Runes?

It takes a lot of guts to post a critical thread in a very pro SRD forum! Very though provoking and fair!

I loved RotE , btw!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*as Mills Lane* I'll allow it.

Good one, Guns.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”