Concerts

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I had absolutely no idea that Donovan was still touring. That's awesome.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

He has come back for the 50th anniversary of Sunshine Superman.

His show was two sets performed sitting cross-legged on the stage with his acoustic guitar "Kelly" as the only accompaniment to his voice. We were in the front row, Menolly almost directly in front of him (a general-admission venue; Menolly waited in line all day to be first in the door) and myself and Dam-sel to the right of her.

Having seen great storyteller Al Stewart the night before, our expectations were high...and Donovan lived up to them. A great show.

Even if she cannot post the extensive video clips here that she put on FB, Menolly ought to share more of the experience. Me, I am one of those dinosaurs who watches, claps, and sings along where appropriate. If I try messing with my phone to capture the experience, I miss the experience.

There may be a koan in that lesson...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I don't know if this will work for those not on FB.

Donovan encore: Atlantis (part one)

Atlantis (part two)

Story intro to Mello Yello

Mello Yello

I also have clips of Jennifer Juniper and Sunshine Supetman, if linking works and anyone would care to see them.

Also, I asked on some photos I posted on FB, but no one has answered with certainty yet. What is that by the tuning pegs on Kelly? Is it a bizarre pickup? I saw no other means of amplification on her.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Looks like it only works for FB-havers. I can see the description and a still image with a 'play' button, but when I hit the button it takes me to the sign-in screen.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Well, poo. Thanks for checking.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I am planning on seeing Roger Waters next year in Houston.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I logged in to the ticket-buying thingy to get Iron Maiden tickets, and noticed that Coheed & Cambria will be here(ish) next week. I missed them last year and the year before and maybe the year before that because I have lost all track of time, but I do know where I will be next Friday.

(And I will probably still get tickets for Iron Maiden, but that's still a few months off and I'm a little distracted right now.)

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Book Of Souls is so good, I can't miss them this time around. And with Ghost as the opener.....Money well spent.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I should have just bought both - I know I'm going to get tickets, I just hate getting to the venue they're at. (Though it's where I saw them last time, and it's decent as far as ginormous venues go.)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Been there, done that, got a ginormous banner instead of a t-shirt. Not sure what I was thinking, though the one they had on display really didn't look that big. Director Donner is not impressed.

The show was pretty impressive, though I found the video screens they added to the background a bit distracting. I'd resisted looking up the setlist - knowing they were playing their third album in entirety but not knowing what the encores would be. Good Apollo Vol. 1 is probably their strongest album overall - no filler. They ended with the title song from their second album (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3), which would probably be the song I'd take with me if I was stranded on a desert island with only one song. It's a powerful song if you follow the story behind their whole rock opera. It's a powerful song if you don't follow the story, and it also has a lot of personal meaning for me, and it nearly always makes me cry when they play it as an encore. Not this time, but it was close. The opening chords just hit me right in the emotional center.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We've got tickets for Red Hot Chili Peppers next month, 5th row center! Can't wait!

If you haven't seen them play lately, here's a recent video. Check out the light show! I've never seen anything like floating, dancing lights that drop down from the ceiling over the crowd. I like it better than lasers.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

SD and I attended the Moody Blues tour for the 50th Anniversary of Days of Future Passed last night. I posted about it on Facebook, and my posts are public, so if you can access FB, feel free to see the bits and pieces of the show which I gathered.

The Moody Blues at St. Michelle Winery Amphitheater
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

we will be seeing both Roger Waters and Ringo Starr
on their tours this year. we are pondering about seeing GNR on their current tour.
I saw them a few years back. excellent show.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Garth Brooks n Oct!!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

On my way to see OK Go at the Moore Theater in downtown Seattle. All I know of them is a few of their innovative hit videos, and the recent TED Talk they did on creating the videos.

I'm looking forward to seeing something new and unusual tonight!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Taking my 8 year old boy to the Aquabats in October. I've never seen them, but I am definitely excited.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

The Aquabats show was so good that I fear I have blown expectations for all other shows for the kid. The opening acts were even especially good.

He went as an Aquabat for Halloween. A few people recognized, and loved it.

Today I got tickets for the tippity top of my band bucket list, as least the top of bands that are still together and not missing members due to death. Yep, the Residents have been at the top of the list ever since I finally saw the Pogues a little over 10 years ago. I can't wait, and have no expectations other than it will be weird and probably disturbing but unlike anything I have ever seen before. And they are playing in a little club, so it should also be intimate.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Saw 4 shows since January.

First...Kid Rock in Louisville/ This was for the wife. Cannot say that I hated it, seen him 3 times now. Always a fun show. Just not my 'cup of tea'. He is coming to Noblesville IN in September and we will probably be there again. It is an outdoor ampitheater type venue, and that makes most show worthwhile by itself. Really nice venue.

Second...Avenged Sevenfold with Bullet for my Valentine and Breaking Benjamin. We went for A7X. The other two are far to 'emo' for us. The whole family went (wife and 17 and 13 year old sons). A7X is good...they are coming two more times to the Indy area in August and October. We will likely be there again for one, if not even both.

Third...Avatar in Indy. Opening band was forgettable, but the show opened with Hellapalooza, a heavy metal based circus sideshow complete with 'freaks' (if I can say that!). Avatar is awesome. It is the second time that I saw them and I will go to see them again (and again) everyttime that they come near. Amazing show and amazing, just all around performance. This one was for me and my 2 boys, the wife skipped this one. It was the first time that the kids got to see what i call a 'house' show where they could actually get up close and really get to see the performance. I could not get too close as I had to keep my hands on my youngest son, but they got a good feel of a real live show without having to be 200 yards or so away.

Fourth...Iced Earth with Sanctuary and 2 other openers in Indy. Me and my oldest son and his friend at this one. I let the boys go and they worked themselves up to the front for this one. What a show. It was the opening night for the US tour and they were good. It was my first time seeing both, but have been fans of both since the 80s and 90s. It is always good to get to see those bands that you have listened to for literally decades. Serious high energy and volume...hell yeah, it was a great show.

There!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Tonight is Jean-Michel Jarre at the Paramount downtown. I'm a bit worried about catching transit back across the lake, but from everything I heard, the show should end early enough for me to catch a bus to downtown Redmond. It's just getting home from the transit center which may be a concern.

Anyway, I expect this show to be on par with Yes' in-the-round tour for Tormato and Roger Waters' The Wall show, my two all time favorite concerts I attended. I love the Maestro's space music, and his light show is supposed to be amazing. I expect to be totally blissed out.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Row D (4th row from stage), seat 6 (6 seats from center aisle). I'm a happy camper!

Return to “Vespers”