Concerts

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

So, I saw the Residents. I had my expectations lowered by the fact that I really haven't been into any of their music over the past 10 years, so I didn't know if I'd like the show. Thankfully, they drew from their very large catalog (they've been around since the 70s), and I heard a few songs that I knew, which was great. Other than that, there was only one other song I really liked that I had not heard before, and the rest were just varieties of screaming and discordant sounds, which was not a shock. But the biggest shock was how conventional the show ended up being. It felt like a typical rock concert with a few little narrative breaks and weirder costumes.
But that is the problem with experimental music - some is good and some is bad. I just expected it to be a bit weirder than it ended up being, I suppose.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sounds cool Cags .. I expected the RS Big Bang tour to be a bit weird .. given how old they all are now .. but tbh it was pretty damn awesome.

I saw America when they came down under a few years back too and thought that would probably be a bit weird .. but I was wrong .. it also was great. I hope to see Foreigner who are coming too.

U2 are weird but meh 🤷‍♀️ they are always good value, like Pink.. she knocks your socks off. Who Id love to see but have never is Sinead OConnor .. she's old now too .. lol .. like the rest of us .. but I reckon she still got it.

I would have killed to see Queen with Adam Lambert but not enough to kill the clients that kept me busy that entire tour. I absolutely adore Lambert .. that kids has some mean pipes. And hes the only person ever that Ive seen that could step into Freddies shoes.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Sky, did you ever see Cail's article about going to the Queen concert with Adam Lambert? I tagged you on his FB link to it. It is wonderfully written.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Really wow 8O .. Is he a fan or not a fan 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Ill go see if I can find that link :D
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Let me know if you find it. I don't know if he wants the article shared here, but if y'all have not friend ed each other on FB yet, the tag may not work.

If not, I'll send it to you via Messenger.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Cheers Menolly .. I very much enjoyed that link :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Skyweir wrote: I would have killed to see Queen with Adam Lambert but not enough to kill the clients that kept me busy that entire tour. I absolutely adore Lambert .. that kids has some mean pipes. And hes the only person ever that Ive seen that could step into Freddies shoes.
Yeah, I'd especially love to go to that show, particularly because The Boomtown Rats are (or were) opening, at least at the show in Dublin. My son's middle name is Geldof because I have long said that Bob is my favorite human. And Queen is pretty much the first band that I embraced. And I still think they are amazing. I've never seen them, and after Freddie died, I didn't think I'd ever want to. But I agreed about Adam Lambert - I'm not a fan of his, but I do think he's one of few people that could actually fill those shoes.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I get you ... no one can truly fill Freddies shoes .. he was indeed unique. But like you Lambert is pretty close. I saw him perform with Queen and was wowed.

You Irish Cags .. 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Matisyahu will be at this free event locally tomorrow. I know Balon used to enjoy him. Hopefully other local Watchers may be interested as well.

CHOMP
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat :D

Just saw Fatboy Slim pump out some beats - and my ears have nearly stopped bleeding :D Great show.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Treated to Red Hot Chili Peppers show - those boys can rock!!

Flea is seriously one of THE great bass players.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Skyweir wrote:You Irish Cags .. 🤷‍♀️
I missed this. And if you are asking if I am Irish, I am not, but want to be. There is red hair in our family (my mom and eldest sister are gingers) and others occasionally see the strawberry in my blonde.
With that said, I find the Irish fascinating - I love the music and literature and their madness, but am not a churchgoer so that part of the culture leaves me cold. But I suppose I do worship at the altar of Arthur Guinness (by drinking the dark brew named after him). Going there is at the top of my bucket list. I have no touristy things I want to do other than visit the Guinness brewery. Otherwise I just want to go to a pub and want to pretend to be a local.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

The Scots have their gingers too 😉 :P

I hope you get to sit in an Irish pub and make like a localler.

My husbands claim to fame is Dun Given .. castle home of his Ireland clan, and his family name origin. But his mothers family track back to Scotland. Either way you shake it, its assuredly Celtic roots.

My sister alleges our family has been traced back to Robert the Bruce ... but its more than likely mythical legend than fact. Nevertheless Ill take it 😉

Id love to take my family to my home as a kid.. living on the Borders. It made for a great childhood.

And from 3yo I was raised in a British pub. Only for a few years till we moved back to the Borders. I loved my childhood, following becks, exploring, climbing stone stiles, sledding and skating on frozen ponds.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Saw Montgomery Gentry last week.
I kinda knew some of their songs before hand.
It was a good show.

Was at a small performance theatre in Mass.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

StevieG wrote:Treated to Red Hot Chili Peppers show - those boys can rock!!

Flea is seriously one of THE great bass players.
Flea makes it easy to forget how good the other guys are. Chad Smith is one of my favorite drummers. Don't get me wrong, as a Rush fan I know how technical Neil Peart is, but he doesn't really groove like Chad. I love the RHCP rhythm section. Josh is an ok replacement for John, but I miss John. Anthony is as strong a front man as he's always been. I think his singing has gotten better with age. These guys put on a hell of a show. They are in their 50s. They won't be rocking like this for much longer. See them while you can!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Josh probably suffers a bit from living in John's shadow. He's a good guitarist, but has had big shoes to fill, and he's surrounded by amazing musicians. He did a fine job, but I was watching the others more than him.

Totally agree re Chad Smith - effortless and precise. A joy to watch.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Some good concerts recently. Charlie Daniel's band and Travis Tritt, then on Fathers day Buddy Guy and Kenny Wayne Sheppard (Both blues). Next month Framptons farewell tour with Jason Bonhams Led Zeppelins experience.

Frampton found out he has a neurological disorder so this is defini6 it for him.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Love the Frampton Comes Alive album .. ♥️

Thatll be an awesome concert .. emotive farewells often are.

And yeah Bonhams a killer drummer, like his dad. Enjoy.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've often joked that I should name my penis Frampton. Just so I can say, "FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE!!!!" Now I can't hear anything about Frampton without thinking of this. And your are welcome from now on for succumbing to the same.

Just got ticket to Shonen Knife, which I've never seen, and have long wanted to. And it is an odd coincidence because I was just starting to expose the kids to them and filled up my playlist with their stuff because I knew the kids would love them. So it was odd when I hadn't heard from them in years, and suddenly I get this itch, and now they are playing at my favorite local venue in the Denver area called the Oriental Theater.
If you are unfamiliar with Shonen Knife, they are a quirky little band from Osaka Japan that idolize the Ramones (in fact they did an album of Ramones covers recently), and it really shows in their music. They are cute and funny and mostly sing in broken English about food in the same way that Robyn Hitchcock often sings about insects. I guess in the 90s, they toured with Nirvana, and Kurt Cobain once said they were his favorite band, which runs completely counter to his sad bastard music. Anyway, I've been really wanting to see them, and didn't think I'd ever get the opportunity until now.
I can't think of too many bands I would still jump through a ring of fire to see, other than Bob Geldof in whatever capacity. I just need to bite the bullet sometime and go to Ireland to see him live.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Return to “Vespers”