22%
I hate her and I am a female (THOOLAH)
6%

Total votes: 173

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Spoiler
I have just finished reading Revenant.. And yeah, she makes some incredibally bad choices...

I liked her in the 2nd Chrons, and in Runes but in Revenant she's to self-obsessed... On occasion she uses the Staff of Law to help those in need, but I couldn't escape the feeling that she could be doing so much more with it if she wasn't thinking of herself so much...
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Maybe we should have a thread in the FR area on Linden bad choices and see if they really are.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Sign me up for ROIFLA too. Definitely less frustrating than Covenant!! Man I wanted to rip his lips off for a while there. Still, she definitely retains a lot of his stubbornness. I wish I could be so decisive.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Originally, I didn't mind Linden. I gradually developed a dislike for her, which got stronger as the second chrons progressed. Now I just want her to disappear so I never have to hear about her again. THOOLAH shall remain close to my heart, at least until Linden's demise.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

<sheds tear>

That was beautiful, Auleliel.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Thanks, dlbpharmd. I try. :)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
unicorngirl
Servant of the Land

Post by unicorngirl »

I don't know if I completely like Linden Avery, but I understand her.

I haven't read FR yet, though.
I let my mind wander and it never came back.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Hmm... well, I like Linden in that I do not wish her any specific harm...and as Ur-Dead pointed out, there wouldn't be a last chronicles without her...

[mod edit - FR spoiler removed]
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

How could you hate Linden..she is as much of the story as TC, if you love TC then respect his love or beloved ;)
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Does this mean she succeeded where TC failed? An anti hero shouldn't be liked.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Does this mean she succeeded where TC failed? An anti hero shouldn't be liked.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

:goodpost: A point well made, my good sir, a point well made...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Although incorrect. Many anti-heroes are likable. Ever watch the Sopranos?
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Many anti-heroes are likable.
Totally!! The best anti-heroes, you like in spite of yourself.

Like Jezebel in the Bible. A horrible, murdering, manipulating witch, but the old broad had style. When she knew the jig was up, she put on her makeup before facing the mob.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I'd like her more if she replaced Robert Jordan as my practice rocket launcher target.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hmm...I apparently voted in the poll but never posted in the thread.

I have always and still find Linden whiny and annoying.

That's just the way it is.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I have always and still find Linden whiny and annoying.
Can you quote a place where Linden actually whines?? :?

I can see how one might find her annoying. But she needs that hardness to make the decisions she has to make. She can't always take care of everyone's opinions of her (especially the Haruchai, who are always on her case). Likeability was never Covenant's strong suit either.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

What I find so annoying about Linden is that she's a basket case and she seems to look for any reason to argue with Covenant. When she's mentally or physically paralyzed and curls up in a ball it's irritating and frustrating. I'm well aware of the issues regarding her tortured past and I do have some sympathy for her. I know that since she was able to heal the Land at the end of WGW she's gained a confidence and clarity of mind and purpose the makes her far more palatable. However thus far within the context of the Last Chrons Linden has
Spoiler
performed acts of tremendous import and power that she has no training or background to justify. Her access to her abilities comes too easily (IMHO). She still makes illogical and baffling decisions. If Foul or some other super being is behind Linden's new found, unearned power then the story makes much more sense.
I really like strong, female characters, I've written a couple myself, but Linden (as SRD has created her) is just not what or who I got into the Chronicles for in the first place. Covenant is a butt hole but somehow SRD crafted the man to be someone that somehow commands your attention and respect in spite of his crimes. Linden on the other hand doesn't seem to resonate with me in any positive way. I don't like spending time with her so the parts of the story that occur from her point of view are difficult to navigate for me.
BTW I do not mean to criticize any of you who genuinely like the character with my dislike. I liked Lord Calindrill maybe some of you didn't. It's all a matter of taste.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aTOMiC wrote:Covenant is a butt hole but somehow SRD crafted the man to be someone that somehow commands your attention and respect in spite of his crimes. Linden on the other hand doesn't seem to resonate with me in any positive way. I don't like spending time with her so the parts of the story that occur from her point of view are difficult to navigate for me.
Good posting, I agree.
I've been rereading the 1st and the 2nd Chronicles and TC's absence from the 3rd is a painful loss.
If he doesn't make up for it in a *BIG* way I'm going to demand/bitch that they should remove the name "Thomas Covenent" from the title because so far it has nothing to do with him.

Unless it's his dream, in which case it's all good! :D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Why do people keep expecting Thomas to somehow jump out of the woodwork and take the lead role? Sure the chronicle is named after him but that's because it's the third trilogy in a series called, not the Chronicles of the Land, not the chorincles of the White gold ring, and not the Chronicles of Lord of the Creche but the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Was the Second chronicle about Thomas Covenant? Sure there was some Thomas Covenant in it but Linden's place was just as central if not more central than his. And yet it was not called the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery (or the Ch. of Thomas and Linden Covenant if you want to be cheesy).

Series' naming is not very flexible. Naming the series after Thomas Covenant means nothing. And yet we have Donaldson himself trying to justify the name with many a winks and hints. He knows his readers want to sniff some of that good LSD, I mean, TC stuff.

Covenant will probably have some role eventually in the series but it's obvious to me that this is Linden's story, not Thomas'. Meanwhile I'm starting to get annoyed at the tantalizing little peaks we get out of him.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Withholding judgment on this point is recommended until you finish Runes of the Earth....

BIG TIME SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T:
Spoiler
...when in the most unabashedly exhilarating moments of the entire series, TC rides in with Jeremiah, who is apparently healed!!:D

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”