22%
I hate her and I am a female (THOOLAH)
6%

Total votes: 173

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Ah, so many lost souls!!!

But hey, at the moment, it adds up to 98%. How the hell can that be??
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Well I think I'm softening my stance on Linden. See I don't really hate her so much as I don't like anything about her which is less proactive than actually hating in my opinion. I guess I'm just getting squishy as the years go by.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

aTOMiC wrote:Well I think I'm softening my stance on Linden. See I don't really hate her so much as I don't like anything about her which is less proactive than actually hating in my opinion. I guess I'm just getting squishy as the years go by.
You're not getting "squishy." The problem is that it is difficult for someone who is at heart a good person, such as yourself, to continue to hate Linden Avery with the fervor so aptly exemplified by THOOLAH. After a while, the good person begins to think that maybe Linden isn't so bad. Perhaps, if circumstances were different, she would be admired, even loved. In moments of weakness, I have considered my own stance as a member of THOOLAH, and wondered if perhaps I might be misguided. Then I remember how Linden almost impaled Ceer, and I start freakin' hating her all over again, and my devotion to THOOLAH is reaffirmed. Therefore, I suggest that over the next few days you spend your reflective moments in contemplation of some aspect of Linden Avery that drives you insane, thereby rekindling the fire of your hatred. Should that fail, counselors are available to aid in your rehabilitation.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well said, dlb. Well said, indeed.

Just to add to this:
dlbpharmd wrote:Therefore, I suggest that over the next few days you spend your reflective moments in contemplation of some aspect of Linden Avery that drives you insane, thereby rekindling the fire of your hatred.
Or, just read any passage with Linden in it.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

The above two need a Therapeutic Mental Holiday..

Hating Linden.. who bouey!! To hate Linden is to not like SRD style of writing.. I mean he's the one who created Linden. He made her do those things..

Terrible terrible dislikes..

(Oh BTW.. a Therapeutic Mental Holiday is a three day drunk! :P )
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Hang on Ur-Dead..

"hating Linden is to not like SD's writing style" (I had to re-write what you said to make it coherent.. That's bollocks.

That means you can't hate Foul or any of the other characters in any books written by SD.. Because of the writing style. Anyway have you ever thought that those who have joined THOOLAH (sic) just hate LA out of Jealousy... They wish that they were TC's bitch?

I tell you I don't hate her (because that would mean i didn't like SD's writing style lol) I just think that if I was in her place in these final Chrons I's be doing a lot more work with the Staff to help the land.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Ur Dead wrote:Hating Linden.. who bouey!! To hate Linden is to not like SRD style of writing.. I mean he's the one who created Linden. He made her do those things..
What about the many people who hate or very much dislike Angus Thermopyle, or any of several other easily disliked SRD characters? SRD "made" those characters do what they did too.
I am a member of THOOLAH, and a fan of SRD's style of writing. To me this is not a contradiction, and never will be, even if I lose my mind and start liking Linden.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's only because of SRD's writing that there are characters in a fictional novel that I care anything about at all.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

:|

Still need a MTH..
(esp me!)
:lol:
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Maybe you just need to come over to our side. Let us help you hate.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlb, you're beautiful. I love you, man. *wipes a tear*
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Hating Linden.. who bouey!! To hate Linden is to not like SRD style of writing..
:lol:

No...just no.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

dlbpharmd wrote:Maybe you just need to come over to our side. Let us help you hate.
But lets be clear, we don't hate everything; just Linden.

:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Joey2250
Servant of the Land

Post by Joey2250 »

I hate Linden. Judging from how FR played out, she seems like the chance is there that I may just dislike her as I did in 2Cs. But right now I just plain hate her. I finished the ROTE fueled by my excitement of a new series. And FR was finished because I wanted to know why the TC there was such a dick. Also I got a kick out of finding out which character might try and stop her.
Spoiler
Now that TC is back i hope he chastises her to no end for doing what she has done.
:twisted:
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Joey2250, I love your avatar. It is perfect.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

I like her. She's human. And as someone said in a previous post, I found TC waaay more annoying in the First Chronicles than I've ever found Linden. :P
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Auleliel wrote:Joey2250, I love your avatar. It is perfect.
WTF? :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

A point has been made here that is valid. If Linden Avery invokes in you this much contempt, the fact is that you do not like the Second Chronicles and the Last Chronicles. Therefore you do not like the writing of Stephen Reed Donaldson-- at least not all of it.

Cov was not exactly a likeable hero in First Chronicles. A grouchy bastard who resented everything, especially those he cared about, (ah!! that's why I like House, MD so much) and who was so caught up in his own pain he raped his only friend without really being aware of it. But i didn't hate him, either.

I really didn't like Linden, either. I'm too much like her. But if you hate her, then maybe you have to ask if reading the Chrons is worth it for you, seeing as she is the central character at least of the first two books.

It is for me.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

ROIFLA here . I dont understand THOOLAH'S gripe.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Infelice wrote:ROIFLA here . I dont understand THOOLAH'S gripe.
ROIFLA?
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”