Dark Tower Movie/Mini:

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Dark Tower Movie/Mini:

Post by A Gunslinger »

www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=401332

Get thee guns out Sheemie!!!

J.J. Abrams to Climb Stephen King's "Dark Tower"

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007, 03:20 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "Well, here's a book (ok, series of books) that I've been waiting to see on the big screen for what seems like an eternity. Actually this project might hit the small screen. It's a little confusing, but producer J.J. Abrams will definitely be involved.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Abrams and Stephen King will bring the author's "Dark Tower" series to the cinemas (with Paramount) or to your TV screen (with Warner Bros.)

All we seem to know for sure is that A) Stephen King really loves Abrams' TV show "Lost," and B) the "Dark Tower" series is certainly ripe for some kind of visual adaptation. How large the scope will be remains to be seen.

What do you guys think? A TV series? A mini-series? A movie followed by two sequels and a prequel? How would you turn King's (awesome but pretty darn weird) "Tower" books into a movie/TV show?"
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Hmmm interesting, not sure how they would manage it to be honest. I'd still love to see an adaption though.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

You'd probably have to eliminate the Lobstrosities, the kidnpping of Jake by Gasher, ....perhaps a fair amount of the telling of Susan and W & G, as well as the whole Mordred plot. But a season or two on HBO, or a 5 part series of 3 - hour movies might do it.

ImageImage
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

No! The Lobstosities are one the the best bits! I REALLY hope they stay. However i agree W&G will mostly go.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

No way. It would suck.

They culdn't manage a decent movie of the Stand and that was one book.

--A
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Avatar wrote:No way. It would suck.

They culdn't manage a decent movie of the Stand and that was one book.

--A
JJ Abrams mifght be able to pull it off somehow, Av. The man is truly gifted.

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It will suck, there's no way around it. It'd take 4-5 seasons of a show to tell the story, and that's not gonna happen.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, no matter how gifted the director is, it's always a Sisyphean task...

Name a movie adatation of any series, or single book, that was as good as the original book?

--A
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The Ten Commndments. ;)

Seriously... I'd point to the LotR series as something that was as good as the books; in fact better in some ways and worse in opthers, but a wash to me.

It would be hard to adapt, but I can't rule out success out of hand. It's the pie-eyed optimist in me.

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The LotR films blew. Pretty visuals, but that's about it. You simply can't take a book with that scope and transfer it to a 2 or 3 hour film.

In so many ways, I'd love to see a DT adaptation, but there's simply no way to do it right.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

right...perhaps not..if by "right" you mean a page by page adaptation. It could be done differently, while remianing true to the core of the arc, and still be done excellently, IMHO.

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

By "right" I mean capturing the flavor and the nuance of the story. Its never been done with any of King's work, despite all the talent that has worked on the adaptations.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:By "right" I mean capturing the flavor and the nuance of the story. Its never been done with any of King's work, despite all the talent that has worked on the adaptations.
I thought the Dead Zone captured those nuances fairly well. Also the orignal miniseries for Salem;s Lot was a success, but by and large you are correct. I blame the horror genre.

I don't think King would allow the tower to be done poorly. As little as 2 mos ago he was saying NEVER to a tower adaprtation. He believes in Abrams though.

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll give you the Dead Zone (though it was still missing something, it is easily the best adaptation of King's work).

The Stand was King's baby too, and he allowed that to be done badly.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:I'll give you the Dead Zone (though it was still missing something, it is easily the best adaptation of King's work).

The Stand was King's baby too, and he allowed that to be done badly.
I thought the biggest problem there was Jamey Sheridan as Flagg. Decent actor, but he lacked the jolly malice that defines good 'ol RF. That and i wanted more out of Larry. Storke was OK, but you didn't get the sense of dynamic change that defined Larry. He was "no nice guy" in the beginning, but was a Gunslinger by the end... ya know?

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I have little issue with the actors or how they played their parts, I just thought the story lacked the texture and nuance of the book.
___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

Avatar wrote:Yeah, no matter how gifted the director is, it's always a Sisyphean task...

Name a movie adatation of any series, or single book, that was as good as the original book?

--A
Shawshank Redemption.
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Mr Fixit wrote:
Avatar wrote:Yeah, no matter how gifted the director is, it's always a Sisyphean task...

--A
Shawshank Redemption.
Seconded.

Also, if the lobstrosoties are gone, how would they explain the missing finger? I mean, that was a pretty key part.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I'd suggest they'd not have the 1/2 hand aspect at all.

ImageImage
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Actually, you're right. I mean, it would take out a lot of the little stuff that makes the sotry great (astin :D ) but it wouldn't change the base plot line too badly.

Still wouldn't be too happy about it, though. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”