BEER

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

BEER

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Ok Ok, maybe a few of you are thinking "Good lord, The Leper Fairy is only 15 and she made a thread about BEER!!!" Ok, well maybe not. But I am and I did, but for a different reason then most would think.

First off, my dad makes beer. So every now and then he'll let me try some of it. Blechhhh. Maybe that's why I don't drink. He's got himself one of those 'micro breweries' it consists of our kitchen a couple times a year and a few shelves in the basement. But it makes the whole house smell absolutely disgusting. And then he puts it in these plastic barrel thingys so it can 'burp'. How appetizing. Any how, I'm kinda wondering, does anyone else make thier own beer?

Pie and Cake
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I leave it to the Professionals; the Germans. A good German wheat is delicious and doesn't stink.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

My dad is all about the Czech and Belgian recipes

Pie and Cake
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Well.... gingerbeer is about my speed. :) We used to make it oursleves and that is truly the only way to go when it comes to gingerbeer. The commercially brewed gingerbeer just doesn't cut it. :|

As a rule I don't drink beer. Just can't quite take to the taste of it no matter how thirst quenching it looks after a hot day toiling in the garden.

However, having said that I recently discovered how delicious it tastes while consuming pistachio nuts. There is nothing like a cold XXXX ( Four X) with pistachios. That is the ONLY time I will have a beer. :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

No, but someday I plan on making my own mead. I really don't care for beer, even good Irish or German brews. Give me a pint of cider any day, though.

(And at 15 I was drinking more than the occasional beer... not that I condone, but not that I condemn (within reason) either)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Pilsner Urquell is the best commerial beer, period! 8O
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I don't brew 'em but I'll sure drink 'em! 8)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Buy a bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen or Franzikaner dunkel- weisse - then you'll know what beer tastes like! :wink: :)
Yes, Pilsner-Urquell is pretty good stuff, danlo, but...
And yes Syl, mead, yes, hard cider, yes,yes, good stuff! But...
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

And, oh, I nearly forgot!

mmmmmmmmmm..............................beer
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I rather like Sam Adams myself. Although a good Guiness once in a while is fine too. :)
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I read once that Sam Adams actually was a failure at many things - including ruining his father's brewery. Anyone have some facts on this?
(btw, this is not a rap on the beer itself. Decent stuff, imo)
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Got drunker than a skunk drinking a home brewed concoction once - not of my own making though.

XXXX is called XXXX because ozzies can't spell BEER
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

My husband has ambitions of making his own beer...I won't let him try it though until we move into our own house. There's just no room in an apartment. I love dark, dark beers. Guiness is always my beer of choice. ( :Hail: Guiness!) Heiniken Dark is also very good. Shiner Bock is the only drinkable american beer I've found. I don't like pilsners at all.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Vain wrote: XXXX is called XXXX because ozzies can't spell BEER
:|

Its actually called Castlemaine XXXX but we Aussies (note correct spelling), prefer not to waste time on formalities when there is good beer to be drunk. 8)
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

birdandbear, you should let him make it now. I liked making my own beer. Once you get the system down, it doesnt take up much room or make too much of a mess. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Vain! :haha: :cheers: cheers! :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

doesnt take much room?? lol .. that depends on how large your mini-brewery is .. i can recall not being able to go into half the house because of nursing several hundred baby stubbies ;) lol

i am with you b&b .. guiness would be my beer of preference .. and it is good for you too ;) lol

i love the beer taste .. and yes with pistachios or salty anything there is no better companion drink ..

but i dont drink now .. and have to stick to my birrell ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Biff
Giantfriend

Post by Biff »

For those of you outside the USA... If you love beer, DON’T COME HERE!!! Americans have no clue what BEER is...

In the 70's, our breweries decided to add 70% more water to the watery stuff they formerly claimed was beer... the new watered down watery beer was to be called "Light" beer.

30 years latter, and it's all the Americans can drink now. Watered down watery beer.

And here’s the real bad news... Most US beers only have 3.2% alcohol?!?! No wonder I switched to drinking Brandy!
*Biff* - Doing the Wiggles dance.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cider's usually around 5 points (often higher).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Biff
Giantfriend

Post by Biff »

Anyone ever savor Heninger from Frankfurt? Now thats beer!!!
*Biff* - Doing the Wiggles dance.

Return to “The Galley”