feudalism in Revelstone

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

The Lords do not "rule" in the sense of controlling the day-to-day lives of the people. Rather they serve as protectors, peacemakers, judges/arbiters, and as the voice of the (human) people to other societies.

The one rule/law they seem even slightly inclined to "enforce" is the Oath of Peace, which (iirc) the first of the New Lords decided to swear upon learning from the Giants of their past and heritage with the revelation of the First Ward. And even that is rarely more than a reminder to a potential violator to "remember your Oath".

As noted, the "title" of Lord was not hereditary - in the new realm. However, in Berek's time, he was absolutely the leader of his people in the classic sense, even before he discovered Earthpower. Each generation of his biological progeny through Damelon, Loric, and Kevin grew ever more skillful and powerful in the manipulation of Earthpower, to the point where Kevin saw fit to codify the Lore in his Wards. Kevin was High Lord both by heritage and merit.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

I have always interpreted the Lords to be more magical caretakers than rulers - certainly they possess status and power, but these two things do not necessarily a soverign class make. Certainly it seems that most of the people of The Land defer to their judgement, but this seems to be more defering to greater knowledge and therefore, hopefully, wiser decisions.

The same can be seen in Mithil stonedown with Atiaran and Trell - neither claims a leadership position, but are clearly held in high esteem by the people that live there (I suppose Gravellingas is a leadership role, but Atiaran claims no such role). The same with Baradakas in Soaring Woodhelven - he has a leadership position but he is not the appointed leader of the Woodhelven despite his ability with Rhadhamaerel lore. Therefore, I think it's more a meritocracy than anything else.

When it comes to the Old Lords, I'm pretty sure this is mainly due to proximity of the previous Lords. Students learn best from their teachers when they have the most time spent with them - since each Old High Lord sires the next one, they've had the most amount of time together and thus the greatest quantity of teaching is bestowed. There may also be a genetic aptitude which is passed on, but there's no obvious evidence for this which isn't circumstantial.

I also wouldn't say that the Lords enforce the Oath of Peace. I think it was more of a personal choice, which everyone enforced for themselves - which was self-punished should they ever break it (such as would have been the case for Triock/Trell). If the Lords had enforced the Oath of Peace, I don't know how we would have ended up with The Clave in the second chronicles, as this flies in the face of the Oath. I think as time went on after Mhoram and his council, the Oath just got left by the wayside, because it was a personal choice to keep.

I could also add that I suspect that the reason the Lords are "Lords" is probably an inherited title from Berek - he was a general and therefore likely of noble title before he gain Earthpower - once he has it, he becomes High Lord because of his improved ability over other Lords, thus all future trainees of Earthpower inherit the title Lord without the accompanying noble implications.

That's just my two cents though.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

The passage in the First Chronicles in which Atiaran explains to Covenant the processes of learning and testing in the lore of Sword and Staff comes just after the notorious scene in which Covenant rapes Lena, and so I suspect that those of us reading this passage may have done so with our minds elsewhere, anticipating what was about to happen in the story once Covenant's crime became known and people began to react to it. I myself only rediscovered the passage and considered its significance just a few years ago, even though I first read the First Chronicles in 1981!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”