The Illearth War: Ch 23

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Four of the Seven Wards were discovered; we have no knowledge of the remaining Three.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

The chapter starts out with the emotional aftermath of the rockslide that claimed the life of the ranyhyn Myrha. Covenant is left reeling after witnessing a brief glimpse of Elena's apocalyptic nature and he begins to realize that through her he has access to a new way of extricating himself from any responsibility for saving The Land.
Oh, I forgot about Myrha's death. Such a sad scene. This was another step on the road of robbing Elena of her ties to life and hope. Isn't Myrha Elena's closest friend? How can she equal Myrha's sacrifice if not by using the 7th ward somehow?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: The Illearth War: Ch 23

Post by Cord Hurn »

Infelice wrote:As the company recommences their journey Covenant contemplates this new secret bargain of his and wrestles with its implications. His conscience seesaws between the feelings of guilt he has for using Elena this way and his need remove himself from any responsibility for The Land.
Covenant's decision to ignore his conscience in this chapter may well be one of the most fateful choices he makes in the entire 1st Chronicles. 8O

A good summation by Infelice, here, and great straightforward dissection in general.
Warin_09

Post by Warin_09 »

Nice post!
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: The Illearth War: Ch 23

Post by SleeplessOne »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Infelice wrote:As the company recommences their journey Covenant contemplates this new secret bargain of his and wrestles with its implications. His conscience seesaws between the feelings of guilt he has for using Elena this way and his need remove himself from any responsibility for The Land.
Covenant's decision to ignore his conscience in this chapter may well be one of the most fateful choices he makes in the entire 1st Chronicles. 8O

A good summation by Infelice, here, and great straightforward dissection in general.
Definitely.
Covenant does blurt a pretty feeble last-minute admission to Elena (admitting to her that he's an "unconscionable bastard!" from memory) but he was totally complicit in manipulating Elena into accepting full responsibility for the Land's defense, and his virtual catatonic state at the start of TPTP attests to his feelings of guilt.

As you say; the consequences of his 'bargain' in TIW reverberated throughout the chronicles on a number of levels; Elena's pain and suffering, the destruction of the staff, leading to the creation of the sunbane, the Law of Death being broken .. he messed up.

edit :

BTW, TIW fans; I didn't think this was worthy of a bump, but just wanted to reminisce over one of my all-time fave KW posts - I wasn't sure how to link specifically to a post, but it was written by Running Amok, 3/4 of the way down the page, concerning the Rock Gardens of the Maerl.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 191#890191

[mod edit - URL above now goes straight to Running Amok's post.]
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Linking to a specific post is straightforward. In the header of each post, just to the left of the "Posted..." date/time stamp is a little rectangle that is a link to that post. You can either click that to get the url for the post into your browser's address box (where you can then copy it for inclusion in your post reference) or most browsers let you right-click on a link and copy the shortcut from it.

Here is the post SleeplessOne wanted to highlight: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 191#890191
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Savor Dam wrote:Linking to a specific post is straightforward. In the header of each post, just to the left of the "Posted..." date/time stamp is a little rectangle that is a link to that post. You can either click that to get the url for the post into your browser's address box (where you can then copy it for inclusion in your post reference) or most browsers let you right-click on a link and copy the shortcut from it.

Here is the post SleeplessOne wanted to highlight: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 191#890191
DOH! I edited SleeplessOne's post before I read SD's. Both links will take the interested reader to the appropriate post.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Savor Dam wrote:Linking to a specific post is straightforward. In the header of each post, just to the left of the "Posted..." date/time stamp is a little rectangle that is a link to that post. You can either click that to get the url for the post into your browser's address box (where you can then copy it for inclusion in your post reference) or most browsers let you right-click on a link and copy the shortcut from it.

thanks Savor Dam - weirdly, I nearly randomly attributed the post in question last night to yourself before realising my error and crediting Running Amok .. and now here you are, to light a torch for my ignorance - cheers dude ! :-)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

You are entirely welcome, mate!

Needless to say, this is not the first time I've lit a torch (or carried one) for another Watcher - and I can't help but slip in a mention of how well that latter case has worked out. Changed both our lives hugely for the better.

Never hesitate...the moment may not come again.

[/soapbox]
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SleeplessOne wrote:BTW, TIW fans; I didn't think this was worthy of a bump, but just wanted to reminisce over one of my all-time fave KW posts - I wasn't sure how to link specifically to a post, but it was written by Running Amok, 3/4 of the way down the page, concerning the Rock Gardens of the Maerl
Running Amok's post on that subject is indeed insightful and entertaining, SleeplessOne, and I finally understand Mhoram's comment. I appreciate that post getting notice thanks to your efforts (and the efforts of dlbpharmed and Savor Dam, it must also be noted). That post was a real eye opener for me!

Return to “1st Chronicles”