Undecided
9%
Who cares?
4%

Total votes: 23

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Menolly wrote:Snape my not be good, but he is not the Dark L-rds!!!

I'll join your battle cry, Guns...

Free Severus!!!!!

:P
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:twisted:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I'm definitely on board with Sanpe is not loyal to Voldemort, but, not so much for Snape loved Lily.

Does the book actually state that destroying the ring Horcrux was fatal or caused a mortal injury? I don't recall that, I just thought it charred his hand and make it useless, I never realized his life was in any kind of danger?

Regarding the Death on the Tower, I don't know that Dumbledore wanted to be killed, just to save malfoy, I think he was already dying from the Locket Protection, and knew there was no hope, so he figured Snape killing him should occur at this point in order to save Malfoy (I think they discussed Snape should kill him if it came time to, not to kill him just to save Malfoy. Matter of fact, I'm not sure Dumbledore even knew Draco was gunning for him, I doubt Snape could discuss that, as part of his Unbreakable Vow.

I will say that I will be more shocked if JKR wrote Snape as being true to Voldemort, than I would be that Snape was true to Dumbledore ('course there's always the third option that Snape is True to whoever the victor is/will be, more likely IMHO than Snape being truly Evil and loyal to Voldemort).

Only a couple more weeks to go.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

sindatur wrote: Only a couple more weeks to go.
I still can't say I am looking forward to DH. I am anxiously awaiting it, and can't wait to read it, but it finally being released feels bittersweet to me at best.

Beorn asked me yesterday if I'll be having it sent to camp like is talked about here. Sorry kid, last time I did that, I was informed you did none of the camp activities until you finished the book. This time I get to read it first. I should be done with it (I hope) so you can read it on the 12 hour drive home back from camp in early August.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I know exactly what you mean Menolly. I too feel giddy and excited we are finally getting the remaining answers (and get to either feed Guns his hat and a healthy helping of Crow, or will be eating it myself :D ) while at the same time dreading the Postman handing it to me, and cracking it open. I almost want to read a Chapter a week, and really stretch it out (although who could have that kind of control anyways) but, I know the spoilers will be flooding into my ears and eyes from various places if I don't get it read within a week.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The only hat I intend to come close to is the SORTING hat, and as for Crow...I imagine I''' be communing with Ravenclaw a bit too!
Last edited by A Gunslinger on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:)

:::g-ds this is a great forum to be hosting:::
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The one final (for now) support that I'll offer for Snape loving Lilly is simply JKR's unshakable adherence to the "love" message...that love influences nearly all good and bad chocies. It would be fitting if Snape redeemed himself out of unrequited love...even if his is a world class git.

ImageImage
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

A Gunslinger wrote:The one final (for now) support that I'll offer for Snape loving Lilly is simply JKR's unshakable adherence to the "love" message...that love influences nearly all good and bad chocies. It would be fitting if Snape redeemed himself out of unrequited love...even if his is a world class git.
JKR says Snape has felt love in return, so do you believe that was from Lily, or from someone else (and any idea, who else)? Does his mother count for this quote?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

That's the part that makes me a bit crazy about the Lily/Snape theory of Guns. HAS KNOWN LOVE IN RETURN. She's not talking about unrequited love and I highly doubt that JKR would write that Snape and Lily were in love.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Menolly wrote:
sindatur wrote: Only a couple more weeks to go.
I still can't say I am looking forward to DH. I am anxiously awaiting it, and can't wait to read it, but it finally being released feels bittersweet to me at best.

Beorn asked me yesterday if I'll be having it sent to camp like is talked about here. Sorry kid, last time I did that, I was informed you did none of the camp activities until you finished the book. This time I get to read it first. I should be done with it (I hope) so you can read it on the 12 hour drive home back from camp in early August

I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but I pretty damn into it. I am so ready to read the final chapter, and I'll be sad. But I think the part I'll miss most is the excitement that builds around a new book release. This, quite honestly, is my favorite part. I don't have kids, but I wish I did, especially at times like this. I tend to go with girlfriend in tow to the parties and watch all the kids in costume. I'm sure I would totally do this when I was their age, and I just like going and seeing kids get into it so much, as well as the silly games the bookstores have. Then I slip off to the supermarket where I buy the book cheaper and don't wait in such a long line. I love the midnight parties though. And I'm sad that this will be the last one. Possibly.
I'm also the guy on the block that gives out good treats for Halloween because I love the costumes. One of these days, I'll be starting my "spookhouse" setup to bring in more kids, because I pretty much never get many trick-or-treaters, and Halloween is absolutely my favorite holiday. If I could go relive any part of my life, being able to trick-or-treat would be in my top 10.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:That's the part that makes me a bit crazy about the Lily/Snape theory of Guns. HAS KNOWN LOVE IN RETURN. She's not talking about unrequited love and I highly doubt that JKR would write that Snape and Lily were in love.
It could be possible he loved Lily unrequited, and then had Petunia who loved him in return :twisted: There is still something about Petunia to be revealed that's unexpected (but not magical in anyway) 8O

Seriously though, I wonder about the fact that Old Lady Black's portrait had more of an affection for Severus then it did for Sirius, so, I do seriously wonder (especially after reading Spinner's End) if Snape and narcissa maybe had a thing at one time. the returned love is probably just that of his mother, though
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I suggested a long time ago that Narcissa was a more likely candidate. I also think that JKR was talking about Snape's mother. That's my favorite theory.

Cag - I am that house on the block that gives out the best candy too. In handfuls. Huge handfuls. I love the costumes too.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cagliostro wrote:I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but I pretty damn into it. I am so ready to read the final chapter, and I'll be sad. But I think the part I'll miss most is the excitement that builds around a new book release. This, quite honestly, is my favorite part. I don't have kids, but I wish I did, especially at times like this. I tend to go with girlfriend in tow to the parties and watch all the kids in costume. I'm sure I would totally do this when I was their age, and I just like going and seeing kids get into it so much, as well as the silly games the bookstores have. Then I slip off to the supermarket where I buy the book cheaper and don't wait in such a long line. I love the midnight parties though. And I'm sad that this will be the last one. Possibly.
:::shaking head:::

Don't let age get in your way. My hairdresser goes to the release parties in full Slytherin get up. She has three friends who go with her dressed to represent the other Houses. All are in their 30s. If I was handy with needle and thread, I would so join her in representing House Slytherin.
Cagliostro wrote:I'm also the guy on the block that gives out good treats for Halloween because I love the costumes. One of these days, I'll be starting my "spookhouse" setup to bring in more kids, because I pretty much never get many trick-or-treaters, and Halloween is absolutely my favorite holiday. If I could go relive any part of my life, being able to trick-or-treat would be in my top 10.
At 13, Beorn is having a hard time letting trick-or-treat go. But at 6' (or at least 5'11"), he's getting strange looks when he goes door-to-door.

I dress up to hand out candy on Hallowe'en. In the married student housing Village where we lived for nearly a decade until this past December and I worked as the activities programmer, we had a rep for being a decent stop. Not because of how we decorated, as we didn't go all out, but because I tried to always open the door in character, unless the littles got really scared. Then I would put the character away and take on my programmer demeanor, assuring them it was just dress up.

The treats I gave out were well liked as well. I would clean out the old t.v. and movie DVDs that Target carries in their $1.00 See Spot Save department when they would go clearance for 25 cents each. The kids and parents in the Village loved receiving them. We'll see how it goes over this year in our new neighborhood...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

sindatur wrote:
A Gunslinger wrote:The one final (for now) support that I'll offer for Snape loving Lilly is simply JKR's unshakable adherence to the "love" message...that love influences nearly all good and bad chocies. It would be fitting if Snape redeemed himself out of unrequited love...even if his is a world class git.
JKR says Snape has felt love in return, so do you believe that was from Lily, or from someone else (and any idea, who else)? Does his mother count for this quote?
I don't know...did she say "in return"? I had though it was that Snape has "felt love". If in return...it could mean a Mother's love...

ImageImage
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

A Gunslinger wrote:
sindatur wrote:
I don't know...did she say "in return"? I had though it was that Snape has "felt love". If in return...it could mean a Mother's love...
I Could be mischaracterizing, perhaps she said "Snape has loved and felt love", but, I thought it was also, at least implied as "in return"
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

I'm sorry, I haven't read all of these posts because I'm lazy. If anyone has already said this, just ignore me.

#1 reason for "trusting" Snape:
"Dumbledore trusts [Snape] . . . And if we can't trust Dumbledore, we can't trust anyone." - Hermione; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix; ch. 25 (The Beetle at Bay), p. 555

(I know it probably seems ridiculous to remember that, but I *specifically* recall saying "a-ha! proof!" when I came across it.)

Considering how many kids read these books, I seriously doubt that JKR wants to teach children that they can't put faith in *anyone.* That one line is all I need.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

We shall see....the more I think on it...the more confident I am that Snape is on our side. The Felix Felicis is some pretty hard eveidence.

I realize that my Lily theory is a reach... but there HAS to be SOME REAL and PROFOUND reason for Dumbledore's trust in him, beyond a simple apology and a sniffle. Dumbledore was no fool.

ImageImage
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I agree with you on that Guns, there HAS to be something. I just don't think it's love for Lily.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I agree with you on that Guns, there HAS to be something. I just don't think it's love for Lily.
But I sense that you are comin' round in Snape bein' on the side of Harry/Dumbledore over LV?

That is the other thing about the Snape/Lily theory. One feeda the other in that...why would Snape renounce his deatheater role and try to take out LV? That's kinda why I thought the Lily thing worked...cuz it expalined two things. Why Dumbl;edore trusted him and why Snape hates LV enough to rsik his own life.

ImageImage

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”