Strangest Food Experience?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

First kitties, now PUPPIES!!!!! :cry:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

u can call filipino dogs many things infelice, but definately NOT puppies.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

hush puppies
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

One time at DQ when I was about 9 I had to pull the onion of an onion ring out of my throat. It was disgusting. Haven't touched onion rings since.

And once when I was...er...11ish, I was at the restaraunt that my friend's parents owned with him and his dad. I choked on a hot dog and had to get the 'ol hiemlich maneuver. Not fun, but boy is it effective.

Pie and Cake
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Leper Fairy; You should try chewing sometime! :wink:
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

You're a riot Dromond. :)
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Silkworms when I was way younger ;)
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Vain wrote:Silkworms when I was way younger ;)
Some kind of South African delicacy were they??
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Ok, the kiwi-fruit pie incedent is now on the top of my list. 8O :? 8)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

lol

the worst food experience i ever had was when i was in new zealand .. lol ..

well there were 2 really .. first i was asked to put something in the freezer .. and i opened the door .. to find a pigs head looking back at me ..

lol .. oh another bad experience was in australia with some Chilean friends who invited me to dinner .. and they served up another whole pigs head and offered me the eyes!!!!!!! .. and then a piece of the brain!!!!!

well .. back to new zealand .. the source of most of my eating horrors ;) lol .. i visited with a maori family with friends .. and being pakihah (sp?) it was insisted i eat kine (sp?) .. spiny raw sea urchin ..

and refusing was not on their agenda .. the thing was not that i had to eat it .. but that i had to have eaten it at sometime in my years stay in new zealand ..

so i lied .. i said i had already tried it .. lol .. before then .. and was let off .. chucking the gizzardy wriggling live tongues down my throat ..

*shudders*

i do like pork bones and pooh hah!!! yum!! but not the kine .. at all ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

i wouldnt worry sky, i no a lot of maori who wont touch kina with a 50 foot pole, so its not just pakeha who shudder @ the thought. ive never tried puha & pork, but nuthin goes past the old hangi, unless of course its paua steaks or toheroa fritters (which i havent had since the last toheroa season 12 years ago).

sum sui generis

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

cool!! i'm with them .. the not touching kina with a 50 ft pole crew ;)

and i love hangi!! ... there's nothing like a maori feed .. unless it includes kina guzzling ;) lol

and i have met some maoris who have promised to make me puha and pork bones .. but am still waiting ;) lol ..

so are u maori variole?? i have never ever met a more beautiful bunch of people .. maori and polyneisan both ..

oh haha lol .. but when i was in nz .. there was a Fiji vs Samoa or Tongan basketball game .. in which a player lost an ear .. bit it right off!!! LOL ..

now there's a love of sport for ya!!! *you take this ball and i'll have ur ear!!!* never mess with a Tongan or Fijian .. and come to think of it .. watching all them Hakka's (sp?) never mess with a maori ;) ;) ;) ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

im a little bit of everything sky, but i do have maori in there somewhere. my iwi (tribe) is kai tahu & we cover most of the south island. we r quiet & reserved until u get 2 no us, & fiercely loyal once u do.

i also have fijian in me, & they can b very interesting @ times, & i lived with a samoan, he was such a laugh. we polynesians r pretty kewl, rnt we? :D

sum sui generis

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

u got that right variole .. you polynesian dudes pretty much are THE ... kewl-est ;) ;) ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

My grandfather's had snakes, monkey brains, and goat's blood. It was all courtesy of South Vietnamese hospitality. Ha.

If you're not squeamish and you want more info (heh, why?), then check the spoiler. Don’t say I didn't warn you!
Spoiler
The Vietnamese would hogtie a dead pig and suspend it from bamboo sticks. Then, they'd wait five days. Come five days, they'd cut the throat, and let it bleed into a pan. The reason they waited five days was so that the blood would come out in really thick lumps. Of course, the blood wouldn’t run freely at all, so they had to literally pull it out. Then, they'd cook the lumps, and eat 'em like chicken livers. Yum!
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

How would one even come up with that idea?!

Pie and Cake
Worm of Despite
Lord

Centuries of only hunting, gathering, and farming causes strange eating rituals in some countries. Plus, they had no McDonald’s! Honestly, though, I've no idea.
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I suspect after 5 days and coagulation, the trichinosis would die and make the pig ,ahem, less likely to infect the eater. Cultures always have a reason for doing things despite how bizarre or seeming repugnant.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Worm of Despite
Lord

I respect it, really. I'd never be able to do that, unless I grew up in their locale and had to live like them. It's just them making a living, as best they can. I'd probably do it too if I had to survive. Might even get used to it! Eh . . .
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I'd have to be awful hungry... :?
The Netsilik, a group living near Victoria Island Canada, will hunt caribou in the summer and take as many as they can. Before they butcher them, the kids rush in and pop out the eyeballs with their thumbs and eat 'em. They treat them like candy. 8O The kids also love the parasitic grubs that live just under the caribou skin too.
The men sit down butcher them and eat first. They don't bother to cook the meat just eat it raw. If they have alot they'll eat it all up to 20 or 25 lbs. of raw meat! 8O
I'd have to be awful hungry...
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!

Return to “The Galley”